Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-25-2016, 12:32 AM

Red face Should I or Shouldn't I

I just recently purchased a bear Attitude bow, complete package from an acquaintance in near new condition, they informed me that it was a 60LB draw bow. Now I'm a newb at this, and have only shot it a hand full of times and really enjoy it, looking forward to hunting this year with it, but my dilemma is this, I checked the draw weight with a spring scale(specifically for bows) and it is maxed out at 50LBS.
Question is this....should I look at getting different limbs, say up to 70LBS.
This is my first bow and at this time feels very good, but I will get better and don't feel like getting the next best next year, and so on.
Any advise is appreciated.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:35 AM

Stop. Just shoot the bow. Dont get hung up on numbers and get practice.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Welcome

Shoot the bow lots, see if you like what is happening, go to a pro shop to have adjustments made and ask questions.
Good luck.
Hey it's a start!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-25-2016, 06:59 AM

You will get accurate a lot faster at 50 pounds than st 70 pounds .
S 50 pound compound will shoot through anything that walks as long as you put the arrow where it is supposed to go!
Cat
Old 05-25-2016, 07:28 AM

I've got a stupid question, have you cranked your limbs to maximum? Perhaps it is a 60lb bow, and all that is required is for you to tighten your limb adjustment bolts. Just make sure you do it evenly.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You will get accurate a lot faster at 50 pounds than st 70 pounds .
S 50 pound compound will shoot through anything that walks as long as you put the arrow where it is supposed to go!
Cat
X2 fully agree...
Old 05-25-2016, 07:46 AM

Default 50 lbs

Shoot it, get good with it and go kill something with it!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I've got a stupid question, have you cranked your limbs to maximum? Perhaps it is a 60lb bow, and all that is required is for you to tighten your limb adjustment bolts. Just make sure you do it evenly.
As Above "Maxed out" is with both limb bolts tightened hand torque tight than back out 1/8 turn both sides, [a seize/bolt strip preventative]

If bow is still 50 lbs, and there is a sticker on limbs that states its a 60 lb bow, there could be major tune issues, I have never seen a bow drop a full ten lbs but have seen bows drop at worst drop 6-8lbs...meaning 70 lb bow was maxed out and reading 62-64 lbs ...after tuning bow the bow will read 71-73 lbs...

Most of this has to do with string stretch/settle...strings can still be fine but is telling one a good quality string might be best for issue.

If bow is rated 50lb...51-53 will be max tuned...as mentioned a 50 lb bow will take down any animal in North America as proficiently as the shooter is.

If desired weight is higher new limbs are an option...pending on model and dealer cost can be $200-$300 or more installed.

Neil
Old 05-25-2016, 11:20 AM

go to your nearest shop and have them go through it with you so you know about the bow... they will tell you what the max poundage is for you and show you how to set it .... it probably needs a tune up ... not sure where your located but if in Edmonton or around there T and T archery in Sherwood park, Jimbows in Edmonton, Accurate Archery in alberta beach... all very good people to deal with
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-25-2016, 12:38 PM

Listen to all the guys above they know what they are talking about. Take it to a pro shop and get it tuned to you. Get the right spline arrows, cut to your draw length. Shoot it alot. Ask alot of questions at the pro shop and here when you can't get to a pro shop.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 PM

This is exactly why people join forums.....plain English straight answers, with a little kick.
Thank you all for your experience and patience. Off to the pro shop next week for me.
And yes I do realize that without practice, lost arrows is all I will accomplish.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:44 PM

if you miss your target don't shoot a second arrow... go get the one you missed otherwise you will not find it
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 05-25-2016, 11:10 PM

There is a lot of kinetic energy in a bow even at 50 lb bow. Please take the advice and go to a shop and get it looked over. You will also be miles ahead once they explain the working of the Bow and make sure that you have the correct arrows and release.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM

Default Stick Bow

I use a 45 pound longbow again after many years of testing and shooting all types of fancy stuff. This bow has taken deer, elk, moose, bear, and a variety of smaller game and birds for years. Numbers should matter for your hunting regulations, as in am I legal, other than that shot placement is critical and ethical, wait for the shot, and shoot. It has worked for centuries.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Don't worry about poundage. I can draw a 70lb bow no problem but I shoot a 60lb bow and here is why. When you have been sitting in stand all day in -20 will you still be able to draw you 70 lb bow and shoot with accuracy? I am pretty sure I could not so I have a 60lb bow just my 2 cents.