Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-18-2016, 10:42 PM

Default a couple questions on form/shoulder injury

I'm very new to this hobby and have been practicing on my compound for about a week now each day. When I first started I was worried about the draw weight so I bought a bow that was 60lb. I started out with it backed all the way out. After learning to use my back muscles, I really have no difficulty drawing it back or holding it there.

However I have been told that I should be comfortable holding my drawn bow for up to a minute if required. The difficult thing is not to hold the string back, but the weight of the bow on my forward arm and my shoulder. It really feels the burn after about 10 seconds or so to the point where I can't shoot for more than a dozen arrows before I need to take a break, and I really struggle to hold the bow steady.

Turning my elbow out and keeping my arm slightly bent makes it that much worse. I have an old left shoulder injury, dislocated a few times, and I wonder if this is normal and something I can train through. Or should I just switch to a LH bow. On the scale the bow weights 5.6lb which I'm not sure is heavy or light?
Old 05-19-2016, 05:40 AM

They do have carbon bows which are a little lighter by a pound or so. I would start working out with light weights. Work your front, middle, and rear delts.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Strength and conditioning of the whole body in conjunction with shooting regularly but not pushing it to the point of complete exhaustion and pain, this goes for all aspects of the training. Within a month you will notice a huge difference.
Rehab and shoot, things will improve with time, no quick fix here.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-19-2016, 07:50 AM

John, when I injured my shoulder years ago I was beginning bow hunting (injury not related to archery)....

I built up strength in BOTH shoulders by DIY.... Took an empty 4 liter milk jug and filled 1/4 with water, used that to help strengthen/steady the shoulders. When I was confident with that, just added more water until eventually the jug was full.... That got me to holding 10 pounds (1 gallon of water = approx. 10 pounds) at extended arm's length.

After that, it consisted of me finding more weight to work out with to get the whole body in shape, like 58 says....

Using the empty milk jug allowed me to customize my workouts with light weight / lots of reps / longer hold times. Again, exercise NOT to the point of total exhaustion....

It's a starting point. Keep at it - you'll get there. Eventually you'll be able to draw, hold pin on target for several minutes if you keep at it... and at the same time, bumping up your draw weight to the full 60 pounds as well.

J.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:36 AM

If your shoulder is screwed like mine, there is no fixing it. I work out 5 days a week and I've had this problem for 10 years. I find if I don't warm up my shoulder kills after 1 shot. Always do a proper warm up, I think that pain or dull numbness will always be there....
Old 05-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Having had back and shoulder issues, I recommend a visit to your doctor, and ask for a referral to a sports physician. Even if they aren't archers, the mechanics of muscle and tendon interaction will be the same. You will very surprised at what you learn and any recommendation will be specific to your personal physic.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45-90scout View Post
Having had back and shoulder issues, I recommend a visit to your doctor, and ask for a referral to a sports physician. Even if they aren't archers, the mechanics of muscle and tendon interaction will be the same. You will very surprised at what you learn and any recommendation will be specific to your personal physic.
This is spot on. After getting to the point of not being able to lift a grocery bag out of the back seat of the truck, and hunting season approaching I went to go see an athletic rehab physician. Best 150$ health insurance coverage I didn't need to spend! Within one week I was back to using my bow on reduced poundage. Inside 3 weeks I was stronger than I had originally been. That was only 2 visits of 1 hour a piece. He wasn't an archer, but he watched my movements and could immediately identify the issue.
Old 05-24-2016, 01:09 PM

Some good stuff there...warm up for us broken ole vets is important...did a little piece on that...

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=208397

And related to shoulder injuries...a major cause in aging shooters is an older injury combined with prescription drugs for high blood pressure and high cholesterol...

Not so much from eating properly or lack of exercise...I am super active, eat wisely mostly ....but some of us inherited this stuff honestly...it is just in our DNA

which I am prescribed both...a real bad one is "Lipitor" for cholesterol...
side effects include "restless legs" arm and shoulder issues...I stopped taken it and still take a generic version but a lot easier on me...

I would go one day with right shoulder screaming...the next it would be the left

Doc's will say when your very life out weighs side effect issues ...it kind of gets your attention

A good read also on the subject of shoulder issues...
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=258177

Neil
Old 05-24-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticcathinda View Post
I went to go see an athletic rehab physician. .... He wasn't an archer, but he watched my movements and could immediately identify the issue.
Who did you see and where? Would be great to know who is that effective