Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-12-2015, 12:58 PM

APA has a test drive option if you are more that 60 miles from a dealer.
http://apaarchery.com/test-drive/
Old 04-12-2015, 04:39 PM

I'm newer to the archery game but the Eva Shockey bow by Bowtech looks like a hell of a bow. To get entirely set up your looking at around 1000-1200 but then she most likely isn't looking to upgrade in a year or two... If you want to stay in the cheaper price range the PSE Stinger X shot nice when I was shooting them and their Ready To Shoot package will run you about $439 at Cabelas. With a half dozen arrows, release, and tax you'd be right around $600.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:05 PM

Well, we went up a bit from her budget amount and got a great deal on 2 last years models of APA's. She got a Mamba Air and I fell in love with and couldn't resist talking home a Viper Air. I can't believe how light weight, quiet and fast these bows are. Super stoked to get out and dial them in.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
IMO, a first bow should always be selected at a reputable pro shop, with plenty of time to shoot different bows, proper fitting and advice on form. Specs don't mean much in archery, the bow must "feel" perfect to the archer, and there is no way to know without trying them. An experienced archer can spot things that make a world of difference in her shooting.

Natural though she may be, bad habits formed unintentionally right now may limit her success and be extremely difficult to fix. And yes, this is likely three times her budget for the total setup, but much better than a lost opportunity in the field.

That being said, if you're going the route you described...APA viper nano or viper air. User adjustable draw length, light, smooth draw, forgiving, easy to tune. A well cared for Mathews DXT, hyperlite (or whatever the girls version was called) or helium in the appropriate draw length would also work well. Just remember, she needs to budget another $150ish for new strings/cables and spec tune. this is not optional, a broken string can cause severe injury.

occasionally bows come up on the buy and sell, or you can call the different shops to see if they have any used ones for sale or on consignment.

Edit: talk to Neil (user name: L.O.S.T.Arrow) he will point you on the right direction.
totally agree, when I started out I shot a PSE Chaos for a year and loved my bow then I got a mission Craze on a whim at an archery show shot it for a month and hated it, moved on to a G5 and still hated it all i wanted to do was go back to my PSE and now I cannot find anything that I like as much as that one, so make sure she tries ALOT of bows and finds one that works and is comfortable.

she may be a natural but again bad habits happen so form and comfort is the most important