Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-27-2014, 09:44 PM

Default 45 LC primer error

I just finished doing up some 45 LC rounds with 9.2g of Unique and 200g SWC cast bullets. I realized that I had used LRP instead of LPP primers. The only reason I found out was when I tried a couple in my Pietta and a couple of primers were too high to turn the cylinder. 2 out of 50 were too high and the rest were flush with the case. Should I be pulling the bullets or? Rather than de-prime would it better to fire them as blanks and then decap? I hate to throw them out if there are other options.
Thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:53 PM

I once oaded a lrm in a 44 mag by accident and fired in my blackhawk, split that case right down the side, there was just one primer in the tube from last reloading session, thought i loaded pistol last, remembered wrong
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 PM

A very unfortunate mistake... None the less, this is a great reminder for all whom handload to insure our ammunition is to spec.

In your shoes? I'd disassemble the ammunition; saving whatever components I could, deprime and relaod to spec... Another alternative is to check all your data and see if this ammunition may be usable safely in another firearm such as a lever action carbine chambered for .45 LC. If it was safely usable I would go ahead and use that ammunition in another application. If all you have in .45 LC is the one revolver in which the ammunition can not be used safely then I would surely disassemble and save whatever components I could.

Best of luck!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 PM

Pull the bullets and fire the primers then decap - no use tempting fate.
Aside for the harder primer cups, they MAY be higher pressure primers.
I know in my brass shotgun cases it calls for large pistol, not large rifle.
Cat
Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Ever since then if I have primers left over in a tray I tape the label to the tray. If I forget to do that and can't remember, they go in the trash, primers are cheap
Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 AM

9.8 grain is the max listed load so at 9.2 you are almost 10% below max. With that much cushion the hotter rifle primer should be no problem in a modern well built handgun, and no one would shoot these loads in an old model handgun any how. If it was me, I would just shoot them as is. Primers are not hand grenades, despite so much of what you see posted about them.

That said, do whatever you are comfortable with. Pulling 50 bullets, recovering the powder and punching the primers isn't all that much work.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:15 AM

If you are going to fire them wait till it's about -30 out
Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM

I agree with dean2, but on the other hand I have vaporized a cylinder on the very same gun that you speak. a steady diet of max loads in these guns loosens them up. I don't know how much difference the primer will make. but because I don't know, I take them apart. im forever taking 45s apart cause im a disaster at labeling stuff. I have a rifle that is a 45 as well and if I find a partial box not labeled they come apart. I don't load the rifle any hotter than my pistol any more, cause I spend more time taking apart and reloading than I do shooting
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 AM

I can't believe I actually did that when both boxes of primers were right in front of me. I am still debating on which way to go, the lazy way, or as a few have suggested, pull everything and fire the primers. I have had the loading equipment for two years and finally decided to give it a go. I have started about five times, decapping, full length sizing, flaring the neck, etc. Once i get to actually seating the bullets I usually second guess myself as the manual says that COAL is 1.550 and mine are at 1.595. I then read that as long as they fit in the cylinder with no interference I am good to go, different if I am using a Lev gun.
Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 AM

ive learned the hard way. now before I start reloading I give my bench a complete clean up. providing I still have the energy after that task ill pull out only the components needed for what im going to reload. as far as COAL, mine measure around the same
Old 01-28-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Pull the bullets and fire the primers then decap - no use tempting fate.
That is what I would do.