Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-05-2016, 11:26 AM

Default Bow Tuning Cost

Hello fellow archers,

I bought a Hoyt bow at Sherwood park archery about 6 years ago. I've never had it tuned at an archery shop and I've never really researched what type of arrow is best suited for it. I basically bought it off the rack all set up with sites and whisker basket, grabbed some arrows and started shooting. I shoot reasonably well and have taken a few animals with it, however, I think there's definitely room for improvement in regards to the bows setup and of course with me getting even more experienced as a shooter.

Now that I'm a bit more into archery hunting than I was when I bought the bow, I've been reading more articles and threads on AO forum about bow tuning and matching the arrow to the bow setup.

Anyways, I feel like it would probably be a good idea to get it tuned this year at a shop like jimbows. Just wondering if anyone has an idea how much a total tuning would cost at such a shop.

Thanks Folks.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:00 PM

I think that their super tune is $180. In seeing all that they do with the bow I would say it's worth it. I think a basic tune is under $100. But in my experience they're pretty good about figuring out what's out and only charging you for that. Last time mine only cost $20 or $30. Great guys, they have lots of knowledge. Recommend them 100%.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:00 PM

What's involved in a "tune"?

I know my bow needs new strings and peep. Is this included?
Old 06-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Don't think so. I would call the local pro shop and ask them.

T and t in Sherwood park and jimbows in Edmonton.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 AM

Here's a video explaining whats included in the super tune at Jim-Bows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xnnrC3a5j4
Old 06-06-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
What's involved in a "tune"?

I know my bow needs new strings and peep. Is this included?
I had new strings and cables put on at Jim Bows and it was $25 for the instal and tune plus the cost of the strings and cables. In my case that was about another $150. I don't believe they do super tunes in Edmonton, just Calgary.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Basic tuning of bow is not that expensive at most Pro shops...meaning center shot, timing, cam/idler lean, full micro inspection, draw, bow weight etc...

We include all above in purchase if bow was bought here...as do other shops, extra cost may be paper tuning, tuned by Hooter Shooter, {mechanical bow shooter] new strings, arrow tune etc...

Most tuning requires a bow press, Hooter Shooter, draw board etc even for basic tuning...

The basic tuning will bring bows to out of box and even better than factory new specs, all strings will settle [stretch] when that happens bow will be out of tune with timing, draw, bow weight, cam/idler lean, etc.

Which can make a bow noisier, shoot erratic, etc

So its recommend to get basic tune before hunting season, do it early as many times upon micro inspection we will find issues like bent/warped/cupped cams/idler wheels and limbs, or cracked limbs and even serious issues with strings...

Strings and cam/idlers are usually keep in stock by distributor's or are quick to get, however many top brand bows will need parts like limbs ordered from states, last year on a top brand I had to order a idler wheel took 7 1/2 weeks...owner missed hunting season, another top brand took months just for a simple cam...

if one doesn't have a bow press etc its wise to get a basic spec tune and true center shot of bow, basic arrow tuning can be done by most themselves.

Neil