Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-01-2016, 02:13 PM

Default Cross Dominance help

Hello! I have recently won an Eva Shockey signature series bow through a contest and I am needing to give them information so they can set it up for me. I am cross dominant (left eye dominant, right handed) and I am not sure if I should choose a left hand bow and train my left hand to adjust and suit my dominant eye or choose a right handed bow and force my right eye open. Also I am wondering if anyone knows how to measure draw length? Thanks!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:27 PM

how do you shoot a rifle, the bow should be adjustable that's not hard to do
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-01-2016, 02:32 PM

I shoot a rifle right handed, as all of the guns in my families house are right handed
Old 06-01-2016, 02:43 PM

Go to a shop like Jimbows and try out a LH and RH Eva bow. Or Carbon Rose (same riser), or Carbon Icon (again same riser).

LC
Old 06-01-2016, 03:07 PM

I would say left handed but you are probably going to feel more comfortable right handed ... but like Lefty said best to try a right and a left before you tell them
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 06-01-2016, 03:34 PM

I'm the same way. I shoot my bow right handed. You just have to train your right eye. Wear a patch on the left eye while you shoot. Your right eye will learn how to focus better.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:38 PM

I am also left eye dominant and right handed. When I went to Jimbows they recommended using your dominant eye. I went left handed. The first 10 times putting the arrow in the rest were a pain but I am used to it now. I am glad I went with my dominant eye. Getting used to shooting left handed was easier than focusing on closing the proper eye every shot.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:41 PM

I would find it much easier to train my hand than my eye. I would go with left hand in your situation. I have shot both ways and it really isn't difficult to get used to the left hand drawing the bow. I actually liked using my dominant (right) hand to hold the bow as I found it was more useful at steadying on target and I could hold steady for much longer. Once you draw the bow, the drawing hand basically does nothing because it's anchored.
My hunting compound bow is rh though because I'm right eye dominant.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:45 PM

I am left eye dominant but shoot right handed and have no problem with my bow and my scoped hunting rifles..
Only time I have to go with my left eye is shooting my handguns.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:41 PM

Default Eye dominance

Doesn't really matter as much as people think it does..especially with sights as using a sight porches you to use the eye with the peep sight in front of if. Shooting instinctively is a bit more challenging, all you have to do is slightly close or squint the dominant eye to transfer sighting to the non dominant.. I've been doing that for years and I shoot fine.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:14 AM

I always suggest that the shooter shoots with dominant eye and choice bow same ...if possible

Having said that...being right handed I can barely draw a bow with my left hand let alone shoot one...

Although I always coach or instruct shooters to shoot with both eyes open those with "cross dominant" eye's I simply suggest closing that eye and go with what bow hand is comfortable...more regular shooters close one eye to shoot than most think...some don't even know they do it.

Closing one eye and using a peep will/could make things much easier...some after good form developed using this method can open that eye for both eyes open and shoot as per normal once lesser eye is trained.

We have found many with "cross dominant" eye's also tend to be more ambidextrous and can actually shoot both hands almost as well...As stated above visit a PRO-shop near you and give a few a try is the best avenue...

Neil