Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-27-2016, 11:00 AM

Default Consignment Shop

Hello,

Just putting feelers out there My husband was an archery tech for a local shop, and he is looking into setting up a consignment shop and we are looking for some input on what you would like to see. In terms of just a bow consignment or would you like to be able to consign your hunting gear as well like clothing, stands, anything related to bow hunting.

We want to steer clear of the guns as there is alot that goes into being able to consign those, We would also offer repairs as well as some learning opportunities

Next question would you prefer to see this out of a storefront or would you be open to it being out of our home?

I guess i should also mention we are in the Leduc area.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:18 PM

Default Consignment

I don't think that kind of thing would ever work well out of your home, a shopfront makes sense to me.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:19 PM

I think its a great idea, but I don't think it will work - I don't think there is enough demand or profit margin for used archery stuff to pay the bills. I hope you prove me wrong. I do think there is room for a good bow-shop that also takes on consignments.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:23 PM

I agree .
If you look at our exchange for example , the used archery stuff moves very slowly compare to the optics and gun sections .
I know because I monitor them and delete the threads for the sold items.
Cat
Old 05-28-2016, 02:45 PM

Default Consignement

Added that most people who buy a new bow do so at a pro shop, that shop will probably buy the old one outright and resell it or offer to put it on consignment.

I think a consignment section might work well in a shop that already sells gear of some sort but on its own I don't. Then on the other hand I see clothing consignment stores in Calgary and some of them do very well indeed. So go with your heart and try your idea, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work and you return the gear to the owners. Good luck!
Old 05-29-2016, 11:09 AM

Agree with the above. There isn't a big market for used archery stuff, as so much of it is custom fit to the archer and people tend to upgrade to newer gear. Also, the profit margins would be very thin, you would have to be rather strict with the people consigning their used bows to your shop.

Same goes for other Bowhunting gear...it gets worn out, just by the nature of us having to spend so much more time out there. Won't retain enough value to support a business....even listed at less than half of new, sometimes even unused gear doesn't sell on here.