Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-26-2014, 05:21 PM

Default Pistol ammo chronographing

I have been reloading 40 S&W and 45 ACP pistol ammo for about 2 years now, and I just to ask the members of the forum where I could get my ammo chronographed?

I have contacted my gun club in Calgary "The Shooting Edge" and "Calgary Shooting Centre" and neither clubs would allow or supplied a chronograph. Keep it in mind, it is winter....

A fellow reloader just reaching out...

Regards,

Kevin
Old 01-26-2014, 08:31 PM

Default Chrony

I was in the same situation as you 20 yrs ago. I bit the bullit and bought a Canadian made Chrony at Wholseal Sports in Calgary for about $100. I use it for all my crony needs. It's a good investment.You can either buy the light system or build your own and use it indoors as well as outdoors.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:52 PM

I have a chrono as well, but I think the bigger issue is you getting a range to allow you to set it up ahead of the firing line.

That being said, I've been to the Edge before and only one in a bay. Maybe with some smooth talking you could get the range officer to oversee the set-up and shooting. It would only have to be set up, and removed. Generally they run without errors or issues (pending you don't shoot it)
Old 01-27-2014, 04:07 PM

Default Pistol Ammo Chronographing

Thanks for the quick reply, that is the conclusion I am drawn to. Purchase my own Chrony and take to the Edge and see if I can sweet talk my way into using a bay for about 1/2 hour.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM

They used to let me set mine up if I was there at opening , and they usually me play with it for about an hr till it got busy.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:33 PM

Surprisingly I've found weeknights to be more busy than weekend evenings. I don't go often but when I do that is generally the case.

We've gone nearly all night on a Saturday evening with the bay to our selves.

I'm sure if both bays are like that they would consider locking the bay you are in to do some testing. Even if it's for 30 minutes or supervised.