Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Default reloading wannabe

I'm itching to get into reloading. I don't do much shooting at the range. (that may change someday). But right now i only shoot to kill. So i know reloading isn't really NECESSARY for me, but I'm dying to learn anyway. Only the price for getting setup is pretty steep for me right now. I've seen $400 for kits at WSS. Is there a lower priced route for just a nube? And one that might not even use it but for hunting?

I've seen kits for $100 or so. (cant remember any brands). But i don't know what this all included in this kit. If anyone knows of these cheaper kits, do you know if they have all the necessities to get ones feet off the ground? Obviously powder, brass, bullets etc aren't included. But tool wise, they pretty efficient?

Bestow the wisdom folks. I'm in need.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:13 PM

I've seen a few guys start on the cheaper Lee kits, and they work quite well. Nothing wrong with them, and if you get into it you can upgrade some of it later. I'd probably got with one of the Classic Cast press kits, as they are excellent presses and even if you upgrade the scale and other things later, the press will last you a lifetime. Its a good way to get started without huge expenditures, and will give you good results. I also really like the Lee Collet dies, as they produce straight ammo and you don't need to resize fully after each firing. I'd also pick up their case trimming system, as it is cheap and works both well and quickly.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:20 PM

Where would i find these kits you're talking about?
Old 01-25-2014, 10:47 PM

Wholesale Sports usually has a them, I believe they had them in stock when I was there just before Christmas. I see the website has their 50th anniversary kit for $180, which includes pretty much everything you need to get started except your dies. A buddy of mine used that exact kit for years without issue, and made some very good ammo on it. The scale is a bit finicky and difficult sometimes, but it is very accurate and works as long as you pay attention to what your doing. I believe they had a similar kit with the nicer cast press in store, but can't recall what was in it or how much it cost.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:02 PM

Great. Thanks alot! I'm sure going to give it a try
Old 01-26-2014, 08:29 AM

I bought the lee anniversary kit back in '96
Still have and use it. Recently as funds allows, upgraded to the Lyman digital scale and case prep center. I use rcbs dies as well as feeding. I, like you, shoot for food and also shoot target long range in the country for fun.
Pick up the lee zip trimmer. Use it along with the case length.
Be sure to search the forums here for lots of info from members.
Good luck
Old 01-26-2014, 09:25 AM

Search Lee and RCBS. You will find at least two dozen threads on this subject in the past year.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 AM

I know the lower cost kits will work but you will soon want to have a good solid press. It would not be too much more of an expense to get a solid cast single stage press. Also, used equipment pops up quite often.

1) Good single stage press
2) Powder scale
3) Trimmer
4) Funnel and a tray ( you can make your own tray )
5) Deburr tool
6) Lube pad and grease

Just add dies, components, and a caliper from Can tire and you are off. Ebay is a good place to find things as well.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:00 AM

If you aren't in a hurry wait for used equipment to come up on here and CGN. I have saved a ton by being patient. Another place to look if you want some cheaper new components is Nachez http://www.natchezss.com/ . This part of the shooting hobby becomes very addictive.

Good luck

Joe
Old 01-26-2014, 10:13 AM

Yup or if your not in such a big hurry...just buy a new piece of quality equipment once a month or so...what ever your budget will allow....To start get yourself a set of scales (would buy mechanical, not digital to start)..then a decent press, add some hand tools, then a trimmer etc...should have everything you need in a few months again depending on your budget.

Jim
Old 01-26-2014, 11:24 AM

i have a spare tumbler and set of calipres i could sell ya or anybody......closer to red deer the better
Old 01-26-2014, 11:46 AM

It's great that you are eager to learn. Reloading is a fun and addictive hobby. To get a better idea of what's involved have a look at YouTube videos, accuratewayz has some good ones. Or find a mentor to show you the ropes. If you're close to Calgary you could hang out at my bench for a couple hours.

As far as gear goes for inexpensive that will work look at Lee. This kit: http://www.natchezss.com/brand.cfm?c...%20Press%20Kit from Natchez will last you years. You will need to add something to trim brass like this: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...E90139&src=sim
And some dies.
For around 200 you could be cranking out your own ammo.

There have been a lot of threads on here covering loading if you do a search

Good luck
Old 01-26-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewsm View Post
I know the lower cost kits will work but you will soon want to have a good solid press. It would not be too much more of an expense to get a solid cast single stage press. Also, used equipment pops up quite often.

1) Good single stage press
2) Powder scale
3) Trimmer
4) Funnel and a tray ( you can make your own tray )
5) Deburr tool
6) Lube pad and grease

Just add dies, components, and a caliper from Can tire and you are off. Ebay is a good place to find things as well.
X2 on all except # 6) I much prefer Redding/Imperial sizing wax, no pad required, by the time you need a second small can you will be quite experienced and probably advising others here.

Many here prefer mechanical scales and do not recommend cheap electronic. I find mechanical scales a lot slower, I prefer using electronic gem scales such as Jennings or GemPro which measure to .05 or better .02 grains. I recommend a Lyman Funnel-Pan, it seems overpriced but is well worth <$10.

The basic Lee trim system works very well and the tools are versatile for other uses.

IMHO, kits contain too much that is not really required, or should be quickly upgraded. There are usually good quality cast iron presses available used and at gun shows, just make sure they take standard dies and shell holders.

IMHO, Major savings are possible on large orders of small (light) tools imported from the USA, check out Natchez or Graf's. I recommend the Lee Deluxe 3 die rifle sets as they come with a Collet neck die, FL sizer, dead length seater and shell holder. Gun show die sets are often overpriced, I seldom see Lee Deluxe sets for sale at shows, always lots of RCBS.

Most needed information is available on the net, but I think a general non-brand specific manual such as Lyman is better for a new re-loader to use on the bench.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 01-26-2014, 12:41 PM

As far as case live goes I use RCBS and a pad, Imperial wax , or if I am using collet dies , none.
It sell depends o what cases I am working with or the dies I am using .....
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
As far as case live goes I use RCBS and a pad, Imperial wax , or if I am using collet dies , none.
It sell depends o what cases I am working with or the dies I am using .....
Cat
Hi Cat,
When do you prefer RCBS lube and a pad vs. Imperial wax?
Regards,
Old 01-26-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Hi Cat,
When do you prefer RCBS lube and a pad vs. Imperial wax?
Regards,
When I am production loading 100 or more rounds at a time
I can lube 6 cases at once .
Things go a lot quicker and frankly I have not found any more case stretch or harder loading using a pad.
When I am loading fixed ammo for the Snider , the 45/70, 38/55's or other cases I tend to only load 50 at max so use the Imperial then.
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
When I am production loading 100 or more rounds at a time
I can lube 6 cases at once .
Things go a lot quicker and frankly I have not found any more case stretch or harder loading using a pad.
When I am loading fixed ammo for the Snider , the 45/70, 38/55's or other cases I tend to only load 50 at max so use the Imperial then.
Cat
Thanks Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 01:26 PM

qwert, one thing I have found is that the Imperial wax is far easier to use on some of my cases that one needs to be very careful with because of the thin walls- the Snider is one, and sharp shouldered wildcats, like the 6.5X303 Epps is another.
It's easier to get just the right amount of lube on them by doing one at a time.
Cat
Old 01-26-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
qwert, one thing I have found is that the Imperial wax is far easier to use on some of my cases that one needs to be very careful with because of the thin walls- the Snider is one, and sharp shouldered wildcats, like the 6.5X303 Epps is another.
It's easier to get just the right amount of lube on them by doing one at a time.
Cat
Me too, I dented shoulders (from too much or buildup in the die) and then stuck (from too little?) a couple of 06Gibbs cases using Lyman lube & a pad before I switched to Imperial, no problems since.
Regards,
Old 01-26-2014, 03:19 PM

I appreciate everyone's advice. If anyone has some equipment for sale, you know who to PM can anyone suggest any books that are handy for going through the process? I haven't even given a look yet. What are yalls favorite books? I'm reading Clay Harveys " Popular sporting rifle cartridges" right now. GREAT book and great writer. He has lots of info on loads. (they don't mean much to me at this point)

Maybe theres some good ones that cater to the beginners?
Old 01-26-2014, 04:51 PM

The sticky at the top of this section was made for handloading for beginners.
It shows the basics, has some cautions you need to read, and a lot of info on where to look, and some how & what to do.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:30 PM

Buy used, kijiji, ao, cdn gun nutz
Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 PM

As far as books go, before I started loading I read Lee Modren Reloading 2. I found it very informative, really bias towards Lee gear. It gives a good step by step of loading and has some basic load data. I always reference it before starting load developlent. I dont have it but hear good things about the 49th Lyman guide. I have the ABC's of reloading, there is a ton of very detailed information, that i believe is over the beginning loaders head.

I would reccomend the Lyman or Lee book and the loading book for whatever bullets you will be using.

As far as buying used gear its a great idea and can save some coin but do some reading And have an idea of what you are looking for.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:11 PM

I just see that Bass Pro in Cross Iron Mills has the Hornady kit on
for 349.97 until Feb 09