Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-23-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveY66 View Post

the wood just has this vibe with me, whispering in my ear to buy it.

Its strange
Love it lol

That bavarian is a super sweet rifle ...hey have you checked out the sako hunter stainless?
http://www.sako.fi/sako85models.php?hunterss
Its sweet and I like stainless just for its rust resistance...never seen one in the store though.

I have rifles in all materials wood, synthetic, and laminate all hold a special place in my heart but I like laminate the most could be that its a sako M75 greywolf
http://www.sako.fi/oldmodels.php?hunterlamss75
Synthetics have all the right properties weather resistant ...light...can take more abbuse...and strong? unfourtunatly strong can only be associated with a aftermarket $500 synthetic. Cheap synthetics can also be loud and hollow sounding ....not to mention cold.

I like wood cause its classic and a nice hard wood can't be beat but it is not ideal for extreme weather or some hard use. Wood is also nice to handle has that warm soft feel.....(I swear im not trying to be sick here)

Laminate is nice comprimise more durable than wood, rigid, warm to the touch, solid, more weather resistant than wood.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:31 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I felt and held all stocks in the sako i want and the wood just has this vibe with me, whispering in my ear to buy it.

Its strange
I think you have your answer. Nothing wrong with a good quality wood stock.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:45 AM

Mike,

LOL that hunter stainless looks unreal. I'm gonna try finding one.

Thanks man. Nice elk by the way.

Sheephunter,

It looks like you've owned and held alot of rifles, what would you think is the ideal stock and calibre to hunt big game in alberta?

My mind is set on 7mm Rem Mag and in the back of my head is 300 win mag
Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:

Sheephunter,

It looks like you've owned and held alot of rifles, what would you think is the ideal stock and calibre to hunt big game in alberta?

While, assuredly almost, having owned and hunted with much fewer rifles than SH I would recommend, out of those two options, the 7MM.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Mike,

Sheephunter,

I know you directed this to sheep but Im gonna jump in and say that you really cant go wrong with your decision between the two .....in your case it may come down to avalibility.
I personally own a 300 Win Mag and resently purchased a 270 WSM, this gives me a nice caliber / bullet weight spread....140 - 180 with similar ballistics. While I do not own a 7mm rem my father does and I have a major crush on that caliber great performance on moose, elk, deer. I also hunt moose with another fellow with one who has been a serious annual moose hunter for 45 years and he has taken all of his animals at great distances with his 7mm . Load it up with some 160 grain bullets and you argubly have the best cartridge to bullet weight setup avalible for all alberta game.

Keep me posted on your decision!!!!!

good luck
Mike
Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Mike,

Sheephunter,

For me personally, a synthetic stock and I'd say both are admirable cartridges for Alberta. I'd likely lean toward the 7mm although I do really have a soft spot for the 300.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:23 PM

Default Both are great Options

I really want to stress that this decision really is not all that important, if the rifle shoulders well, points well, fits in the budget and whispers to your ear... then its time to break open the wallet.

I love the utility of composite stocks (even the injection molded ones) although they can be far from perfect, wood stocks can have a high level of aestetic value when done properly, and you can find some very unique stocks on factory rifles. Laminates are also more and more popular, however they typically are heavier than their wood counterparts as each layer is glued together.

Walnut/wood stocks tend to 'warmer' to the touch than their composite counterparts, however they are easier to damage, although the damage I am describing is dints and dings. Considering regular use and abuse you should not (knock on wood, pardon the pun) ever encounter more damage than this. Of this damage, it can be repaired to an extent and refinished.

In terms of durability and utiltity the composite stocks are a step above wood and wood laminates. They are more weather resilent and depending on material, they can be stronger by a substancial amount, and as mentioned before they have less overall weight.

If I wanted a single do it all rifle, it would be a synthetic stocked rifle. However if I wanted a more aestetic rifle it would be wood. No one ever intends to drop their rifle, however accidents happen, and I will be the first to say that no matter what the material of the stock is, it may show a scar... I have synthetics with scratches and wood stocks with scratches, if its not scratched, it hasn't been out hunting.

A properly treated and sealed wood stock should not warp or crack, however things happend and Murphy's law always prevails.

Everybody likes something different, and will argue to make themselves feel vindicated, however, there is nothing that truely makes one better than the other, only the opinion of the user.

If I took a rifle into the mountains with a blued barrel and a walnut stock, yes I would have to give it a little TLC when I got home, but that is not different than what I have done with a stainless synthetic, all my equipment gets inspected, cleaned and treated properly. I have not had rust issues or warping issues, simply because I have dealt with the rifle properly. And just because a rifle can take more abuse, does not mean that I will let a thousand dollar investment take un-needed abuse and wear, just because it can.

At the end of it all, you will probably end up with both at some point. thus solving your 7mmRM or 300win debate, just get both.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Ford?? ---GMC??---OR --Chev??
Old 06-24-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panwojciech View Post
ford?? ---gmc??---or --chev??
toyota
Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Wink

Cold and wet, 5days in, 3 ranges back, countless creeks, impassable alders and all other things that go with my favored hunts. It all comes down to one moment of truth. Your gorgeus peice of walnut hasnt had a dry moment since you started. When you sighted in it was warm and dry, could run a dollar bill all the way to the breatch. Try that after 5days in poor conditions. That Booner is standing out just shy of 300. That wood better not be touching that barrel or your confidence of a successfull hunt just went out the door. Worst scenerio wounded animal. Composite stocks reduce that variable. Laminates work, Too heavy on average. Besides a spray bomb can touch up those uglies you acqiured from your pack frame. Mind you if you like more hospitible methods of getting game. a fine piece of walnut may be for you.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Cold and wet, 5days in, 3 ranges back, countless creeks, impassable alders and all other things that go with my favored hunts. It all comes down to one moment of truth. Your gorgeus peice of walnut hasnt had a dry moment since you started. When you sighted in it was warm and dry, could run a dollar bill all the way to the breatch. Try that after 5days in poor conditions. That Booner is standing out just shy of 300. That wood better not be touching that barrel or your confidence of a successfull hunt just went out the door. Worst scenerio wounded animal. Composite stocks reduce that variable. Laminates work, Too heavy on average. Besides a spray bomb can touch up those uglies you acqiured from your pack frame. Mind you if you like more hospitible methods of getting game. a fine piece of walnut may be for you.
Been there done that more than once, except for the animal going down with one shot.
You are talking about a " what if" scenario, the same thing could be said for a scope that got knocked and that's why irons are better.
Cat
Old 06-25-2011, 10:00 PM

If I went with wood I'd want one of the following:

But since that is not in the budget I'll do this:

Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Chuck what is the syn stock in your picture?

Looks to have similar linse to a super shadow but with obviously better quality!!
Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 PM

The is a D'Arcy Echols pattern McMillan only available through him.

http://www.echolsrifles.com/#/products.html