Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-01-2022, 07:01 PM

Default Need Help- Pricing on rifle package

Hi folks.

Need help assisting my 86 year old friend, who has given up hunting this fall due to health reasons, and wants to sell his rifle combo...so here it is:

RIFLE:

What is believed to be a 2015 (ZV serial number-Made in Japan) Browning X-Bolt 7MM REM caliber. 26" inch Stainless Steel barrel c/w muzzle brake. It has the Buckhorn synthetic stock. This gently used rifle has not seen 2 boxes of ammo go through it. Comes with 2 detachable mags.

SCOPE

Leupold VX-II 3X9-40MM - Year unknown, but appears to be in good shape judging from this fall's sighting in. Not sure what the rings are, but believed to be Browning.

EXTRAS

- 1 full box of Hornady ELD-X 162 grains ammo.
- One yellow plastic box containing 16 Hornady bullets (unknown).
- One vinyl case.
- One real nice homemade leather sling.

So I guess what I am asking would be a decent price for the entire package before I list it for him. The package will NOT be separated, and sold as is. Trust me when I say this...this is an excellent package.

I appreciate your assistance on this...thanx...
Old 10-01-2022, 09:57 PM

When I’m selling a firearm, or anything of quality, I have a mathematical equation! I calculate what you could purchase the rifle and scope for brand new, and subtract %30, box of ammo I would also throw in! Never had a problem selling anything nore have I had anyone suggest my price was too high! Just my opinion!
Old 10-02-2022, 08:00 AM

Rifle - somewhere between 900-1200 new, so max 700 used if it’s perfect/clean.
Scope - VX II is outdated and not the best in low light (i have one, it’s not on a gun anymore because of that). It’s only value is convenience for a newer/budget minded shooter. Maybe $100
Ammo - $50 a box regardless of brand (sold 3 in the last couple weeks, that’s what people are paying)
Case/sling - $10 each

I would list it for $1000 obo and take any offer over $700.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:25 AM

List for 1100.00 Do not sell it for less than 1000.00
Check on Canadian Gun nutz for previous sales on rifle alone and scope alone to get a true value of your friends combo.
Hint- do not sell to people who give a low value but also want to do you a favor and buy it from you to "help out".
Old 10-02-2022, 08:55 AM

I’m a Browning fan and it sounds like what your friend has is basically a Stainless Stalker with a muzzle brake and the Buckhorn synthetic stock. The Buckhorn stocks are a bit harder to sell than the regular synthetic is, but they cost more new. The muzzle brake also makes it harder to sell because so many people have a negative opinion of them but again, if it was a stock unit then it would have cost more over a regular stainless stalker.

New Browning prices, like all guns, have gone up quite a bit the last few years. I’d say the rifle alone is an easy $1,000 or more. A picture would be nice.

The Leupold being a VX-II and a 3-9 is probably worth $350 on the low end and maybe $450 at the high end if it’s a matte finish and like new.

Mounts are $100 new and a second mag is $100 or a bit more.

I’d say $1,500 for the whole package is not an unrealistic price. I’d start there or maybe a bit higher. You can always go down but you can’t go up once it’s sold.

Again, a picture would be nice.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’m a Browning fan and it sounds like what your friend has is basically a Stainless Stalker with a muzzle brake and the Buckhorn synthetic stock. The Buckhorn stocks are a bit harder to sell than the regular synthetic is, but they cost more new. The muzzle brake also makes it harder to sell because so many people have a negative opinion of them but again, if it was a stock unit then it would have cost more over a regular stainless stalker.

New Browning prices, like all guns, have gone up quite a bit the last few years. I’d say the rifle alone is an easy $1,000 or more. A picture would be nice.

The Leupold being a VX-II and a 3-9 is probably worth $350 on the low end and maybe $450 at the high end if it’s a matte finish and like new.

Mounts are $100 new and a second mag is $100 or a bit more.

I’d say $1,500 for the whole package is not an unrealistic price. I’d start there or maybe a bit higher. You can always go down but you can’t go up once it’s sold.

Again, a picture would be nice.
I don't think your to far out ,1300 To 1500 ,Rifle is 7 years old ,But the break is the kicker here. If it's removable with a cap ,then 1500 is not a crazy price. Fast sale 1250. I wouldn't go under 1250. You never gain selling a package deal. They sell faster if the optic is decent.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:32 AM

Spf
Old 10-02-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Spf
That a boy.
Old 10-02-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I don't think your to far out ,1300 To 1500 ,Rifle is 7 years old ,But the break is the kicker here. If it's removable with a cap ,then 1500 is not a crazy price. Fast sale 1250. I wouldn't go under 1250. You never gain selling a package deal. They sell faster if the optic is decent.
Yeah, it is removable with a cap...but the old guy never kept the box and I believe the cap now is somewhere in floofloo land...

I will post pics as soon as I get some.

And thanx to all for contributing...
Old 10-02-2022, 10:48 AM

A brake with a thread protector, may be seen by some as adding value, but without the thread protector, it takes away value. As such, I would be thinking in the $800 range for the rifle. The scope is the VXII, not the newer VX2, so I would think in the $300 range. You don't really gain for mounts or ammunition, it just makes for an easier sale. As such, I would be thinking around $1100 for the package.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A brake with a thread protector, may be seen by some as adding value, but without the thread protector, it takes away value. As such, I would be thinking in the $800 range for the rifle. The scope is the VXII, not the newer VX2, so I would think in the $300 range. You don't really gain for mounts or ammunition, it just makes for an easier sale. As such, I would be thinking around $1100 for the package.
X2
Old 10-02-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Yeah, it is removable with a cap...but the old guy never kept the box and I believe the cap now is somewhere in floofloo land...

I will post pics as soon as I get some.

And thanx to all for contributing...
If it has a removable break then yes it adds value. Caps can be found for an xbolt . Price is what the buyer thinks it's a fair deal and if the seller is happy.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Scope - VX II is outdated and not the best in low light (i have one, it’s not on a gun anymore because of that). It’s only value is convenience for a newer/budget minded shooter. Maybe $100.
That’s way too low, man. Here is a fair value in the States (US dollars):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...te=1&LH_Sold=1

These are VXii that were already sold recently. Convert to Canadian dollars and maybe add a few dollars to get to the fair value in Canada. This is the best way to price scopes, especially the “popular” batch. Search ebay.com (not .ca), go to filters and select “sold”. You will be provided with a sold list of whatever it is you are looking for. In other words, this is an actual market value of things across the border. Most things run a bit higher on our side, so proceed as you will from there.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:22 AM

Here's a couple of picd.

I guess I forgot to mention it has a fluted barrel...

This is the model:

https://www.browning.com/products/fi...thorn-tan.html

Last edited by Phil McCracken; 10-03-2022 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:44 AM

I thought it was sold according to post #7?

I have enough Brownings and I’ve actually, if truth be known, have an issue there. At $1,500 it’s easy for me to walk but if all guys think it’s worth is $800-$1000 then I’d snap it up.

It seems low to me but what do I know?
Old 10-03-2022, 12:16 PM

Quote:

I have enough Brownings and I’ve actually, if truth be known, have an issue there. At $1,500 it’s easy for me to walk but if all guys think it’s worth is $800-$1000 then I’d snap it up.

If you know who made post #7, you would know better, I can't imagine him owning any current Browning rifle.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Nope...was not selling until I got all info from knowledgeable members ...then to the Buy and Sell...somebody's weird sense of humor I guess...
Old 10-05-2022, 05:01 PM

Hi there....

Turns out he had the "Long Range" model, which is a thicker fluted barrel compared to the regular X-Bolts. It was sold today and he was very happy with what he got for it, being $1500.00.

Thanx for all your assistance, which helped greatly...
Old 10-05-2022, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Hi there....

Turns out he had the "Long Range" model, which is a thicker fluted barrel compared to the regular X-Bolts. It was sold today and he was very happy with what he got for it, being $1500.00.

Thanx for all your assistance, which helped greatly...
He has a big reason to be happy.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
He has a big reason to be happy.
If it’s like new you can’t buy the new bare rifle alone for $1,500. Add in the rest and he got exactly what I thought it was worth for a used package.

If you don’t like Brownings then no amount of money would be a good deal to you unless the guy was basically giving it away.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:25 PM

Quote:
If you know who made post #7, you would know better, I can't imagine him owning any current Browning rifle.