Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-12-2019, 10:26 AM

Browning BL22....

BECUSE..its fun
Old 08-12-2019, 11:37 AM
Banned

I have a Savage M22 that I bought as a replacement this winter due to misplacing my other .22lr. It's now extra to my needs and I have to find the time to put it up for sale. It filled a temporary void but now I'll be selling it at a reduced price. PM if you are interested.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:06 PM

Has anyone here handled a CZ 457? Its not the wing safety on the 455 that bugs me, its that it works the opposite of every other rifle I've owned. A slide safety sounds good, but if its still backwards IMO its not much of an improvement.

Played around with that 455 again, compared it with my Savage, and I do like the feel of it, I just really hate the safety.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:42 PM

Smile CZ ftw

While the CZ safety is backwards to us, it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Remember that it was designed for the Big Brother mentality of the European market; we're smarter than that.
Although I did not like it at first, the wing safety was only problematic for the first few trips out. A couple years and several thousand rounds later and the safety is second nature. It doesn't require any more thought than the pushbutton safety on the Marlin that I've used for years. (still use it too)
Looking at the new CZ457, I would be more concerned about its reversed push-to-fire safety potentially affecting the use of your center fire rifles. As in, muscle memory brain fart.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
While the CZ safety is backwards to us, it shouldn't be a deal breaker. Remember that it was designed for the Big Brother mentality of the European market; we're smarter than that.
Although I did not like it at first, the wing safety was only problematic for the first few trips out. A couple years and several thousand rounds later and the safety is second nature. It doesn't require any more thought than the pushbutton safety on the Marlin that I've used for years. (still use it too)
Looking at the new CZ457, I would be more concerned about its reversed push-to-fire safety potentially affecting the use of your center fire rifles. As in, muscle memory brain fart.
So the slider is still reversed? That's sort of why I'm hung up on the 455 safety, I like to keep all my rifles as similar as possible, so that plinking with one crosses over to the others. A rifle with a backwards safety totally defeats that IMO, maybe not so much off the bench but I practice snapping the gun up, flicking the safety off and making an offhand shot as fast as I can quite often with my .22 to maintain muscle memory and confidence between hunting seasons. That safety just isn't going to work for me, which is darn unfortunate.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:55 PM

Exclamation was in a hurry, didn't look close enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
^^Apologies, that statement was wrong^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
So the slider is still reversed? That's sort of why I'm hung up on the 455 safety, I like to keep all my rifles as similar as possible, so that plinking with one crosses over to the others. A rifle with a backwards safety totally defeats that IMO, maybe not so much off the bench but I practice snapping the gun up, flicking the safety off and making an offhand shot as fast as I can quite often with my .22 to maintain muscle memory and confidence between hunting seasons. That safety just isn't going to work for me, which is darn unfortunate.
I had glanced at a couple photos on the CZ USA site that looked (to me) like the slide safety was reversed. I found better photos on other sites that clearly show the slide safety as push forward to fire. That should put the CZ 457 back in contention for you.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Default tangent sights?

Yes I also read up on the 457 and was left with the impression that the new safety design is in fact forward-to-fire. Bushleague, it may be relevant to the discussion that I own a 452 lux with the military-style tangent sight, and it is flat across the top like you want. I would assume that the 457 with that style of sight would be the same.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:38 AM
Banned

To the OP,did you buy one?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:03 AM

Walking away from a quality rifle because the safety doesnt seem convenient?
Old 08-15-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Walking away from a quality rifle because the safety doesnt seem convenient?
Walking away from it because it does not fit my needs so well as other rifles. Primarily, that I want a high volume practice rifle as similar in function to my hunting rifles as possible, as well as a bunch of other good reasons for all the rifles in my gun safe being remarkably similar.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:49 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Walking away from it because it does not fit my needs so well as other rifles. Primarily, that I want a high volume practice rifle as similar in function to my hunting rifles as possible, as well as a bunch of other good reasons for all the rifles in my gun safe being remarkably similar.
Nothing wrong with that and l went a similar way in that l use a single shot rifle in 22 Hornet and my big game rifle is the same model of single shot. In addition both have the same weight, same scope and same length of barrel. My varmint and target shooting keeps me ready to use the big game rifle when the season rolls around.

Last edited by beauvalkid; 08-15-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: left out some information
Old 08-15-2019, 10:09 PM

Although I've never actually handled one, let alone shot one, the Beretta Olimpia Super Sport kind of caught my eye. They look extremely durable, and I like the fact that you can shoot them like a traditional bolt action, or semi-auto. I see that Tradeex has a few for sale for around $350. They are pretty heavy at around 8lb, but from what I have read are really well made and very accurate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22.jpg (10.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 08-16-2019, 07:49 AM

Tikka T1x, ridiculously accurate and smooth.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvalkid View Post
Nothing wrong with that and l went a similar way in that l use a single shot rifle in 22 Hornet and my big game rifle is the same model of single shot. In addition both have the same weight, same scope and same length of barrel. My varmint and target shooting keeps me ready to use the big game rifle when the season rolls around.
Sounds like you've got a good system, IMO. Mine is not quite so identical as yours, unfortunately, but when I pick up any of my rifles it feels pretty familiar.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvalkid View Post
I’ve done the same as you.
Tikka T1X .22LR ,Tikka T3 .223, Tikka T3X 6.5x55. All are set up the same.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Banned

Get a CZ for sure. I bought one and love it. Shoots the lights out compared to my old Ruger
Old 08-17-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm View Post
To the OP,did you buy one?
Actually, I just bought that old Remington off my neighbor yesterday. He let me try it, and while its not so pretty as a Lux its sure a tack driver. I like the sights and the feel of it... oh yeah, and the safety isn't ***** backwards. In all it seems like a pretty good upgrade over the old Savage, and I'm looking forward to packing it around the bush this winter.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually, I just bought that old Remington off my neighbor yesterday. He let me try it, and while its not so pretty as a Lux its sure a tack driver. I like the sights and the feel of it... oh yeah, and the safety isn't ***** backwards. In all it seems like a pretty good upgrade over the old Savage, and I'm looking forward to packing it around the bush this winter.
Great to hear
Old 09-15-2019, 10:28 AM

Default 22 lr

I have the CZ model in 22lr---But allso a Tikka T1x 22lr. Shoots as well. Put a leupold scope on.It has the heft and feel of a regular hunting rifle.Check it out before you make a decision,I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised
Old 09-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There is a CIL 310 on the exchange , fantastic rebranded 64 Anschutz rimfires
Cat
I have one, nice little gun, accurate, and feels/looks like a true rifle.