Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Mike W

Default 270 and 300

I have a 270 win and a 300 win mag. I am looking at getting a really accurate and consistent load for hunting for each gun and would like to used Nosler partitions in 130 for the 270 and 180 for the 300 is there a good powder that will yield excellent results from both these calibers or would I be better off with 2 separate powders?

Second I was curious as to weather a spherical powder is better than a cylindrical powder.

Also if there are any loads that have been working well for you in either of these 2 cartridges aside from what I have mentioned please let me know as I am open to all ideas.

I was also curious if there any benefit to crimping your bullets?

Thanks
Michael
Old 04-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Scott N

Mike,

There are a lot of good powders that you could use in both your rifles. H4350/4831 or IMR 4350/4831, RL 19 and RL 22, just to name a few. Any powder in that burn rate range should be good, but it might be harder to pick one that is ideal for both rifles.

I wouldn't say that spherical powder is "better" than extruded powder, but it does measure very nicely through a powder thrower. I like ball powder for my varmint rifles because I load more ammo and it's nicer flowing through my powder thrower.

Crimping is something that is necessary for some cartridges (such as straight walled revolver cartridges), but not really necessary for most rifle cartridges. Some guys swear by crimping, feeling that it makes their loads more consistent, but I personally think that not crimping is more accurate. Look at the bench rest guys... the vast majority of them don't crimp. I would crimp on heavy recoiling rifles where there might be issues with rounds in the magazine having their bullets pushed in.

Not sure if this helps, it's just my opinion. Good luck with your load development.

Scott
Old 04-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Try them

Default Try them

AHHHH maybe DICKY can help you .
Old 04-27-2007, 02:27 PM
jrs

Default Re: Try them

Looking through my book H4831 looks good, thats what i use for my 270WSM. I will watch for other reccomendations on ere as well, i'll be starting to load for our 270 next year potentially.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Dick284

AHHH. .. .Wide mouth Nation at it again.

Ball powders are more temperature sensitive than extruded powders. This will sometimes lead to velocity drops in cold weather and pressure spikes in warm weather. FWIW
One powder for 2 calibers, hmmm. well if your lucky and maybe if the stars are in alignment, you might get by with either 4350, or 4831, but it's gonna take a lot of tweeking tuning, fiddling and oh yea range time. No pat answer just a bit of friendly advice.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:01 PM
honda450

IMR 4350 will work well with both. Use a magnum primer with 300WM, no need to crimp.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Suka

Default powder

We've tried various IMR powders, and over the years settled on 4831 in the .243/.270 and 4350 in the 300.
The 4831 is fine in the 300 except it makes for a pretty full cartridge. That being said if I could only load with one IMR powder, it'd be 4831, but that may be years of habit more than anything.
Keep in mind we own primarily blr's so if you're shooting a bolt you may be able to get away with not seating the bullet quite as deep.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:00 AM
Mike W

Default Re: powder

Thanks everyone for the input. From doing some research online @ the hodgdon site and others and drew the conclusion that the H4831 and H4350 are two great powders and thanks for the reassurance.
There were a couple other powders that I was curious to hear about, H1000 and Varget from the ballistics tables I have noticed that this seems to be a powder that takes a little charge and makes a big bang. Any insight on these?

Also I was curious as to what you are charge you have found any good results at.

I mentioned in my previous post that I was interested in using Nosler partitions when in fact I meant Accubond, Anyone have anything opinions on these bullets?

Once again thanks to everyone!
Cheers
Mike
Old 04-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Dick284

Default Re: powder

Varget is an awesome powder, but it lends it's self better to the medium capacity cartridges(308 family), it will work in either the 270 or 300WM, but at the expense of reduced velocities, and therefore less than designed performance.
You've found the loading data via the web, so persue what your gut tells you, have fun and let us know how it all works out.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Scott N

Default Re: Nosler Accubonds

I've tried the Accubonds in my 270 WSM and they shot quite well accuracy wise, but I haven't used them on game. I have used the Hornady bonded bullet on a couple of mule deer and they work well, so I wouldn't have any concerns about the Nosler version.

Lately I've been shooting the Barnes TSX bullets, which might be another bullet for you to consider. My rifle shot the TSX better than the Nosler Accubonds, so that's why I haven't shot any game with them yet. I've seen or taken myself about a dozen animals with the TSXs and these babies really perform well on game.