Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 AM

Default calling coyotes

went out Saturday and sunday with no luck. i tried rabbit distress sounds, pup in distress, howling everything but nothing was working! on one set we heard coyotes howling about 500 yards away so we got sett up and i did some challenge howls and right away on of em challenged me back but just would not come in! anybody els having these problems? and what calls are working for you?
thanks,
yote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM

Went out this morning and saw 4. The first 3 did not want to cooperate. By the looks of it they were 2 makes and a female. Looks like she was in heat by there behavior. The males were more intrested in getting their to rocks off then comming to a free meal. This god damn wind and warm weather can screw off anytime. I had 2 awesome days during the dee freeze and I wish it would just stay cold!!! The cold really really helps
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotekiller View Post
went out Saturday and sunday with no luck. i tried rabbit distress sounds, pup in distress, howling everything but nothing was working! on one set we heard coyotes howling about 500 yards away so we got sett up and i did some challenge howls and right away on of em challenged me back but just would not come in! anybody els having these problems? and what calls are working for you?
thanks,
yote
Sounds a lot like my weekend. Wish I had better news for ya but nothing worked for me either. Probably too warm as Kale_M suggests.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:49 PM

Had the exact same issues on the weekend as original post....identical
Old 01-24-2012, 05:11 PM

Default Mating sesason

So I would only use howler right now. had this discussion with my son last night when he used about 5 different calls in under a half hour on one stand.

I use only howler this time of year since unattached may come in thinking it is a potential mate and the attached may come in to protect their territory from invading males.

I am no expert but my argument with my son last night is they are preoccupied with mating right now so throwing a lot of different calls at them after being educated to those distress calls all fall would just make them more suspicious.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:24 PM

I also Find wind is key if they can get even a wif of you they wont come at all they may just sit back and bark at you or just choose to do nothing at all
Old 01-24-2012, 06:21 PM

Default it worked

I call alot across open country with a good field of view. Saw 7 but not one would come close enough for a shot. Decided to call in thick woods. Made sure my set up had a field of view, radius of at least 50 meters. called in five shot at one and got him . It worked but i think i will try it with a shotgun this weekend. used a rabbit in distress and a mouse squeaker. I will try the howler this weekend also.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:53 PM

This morning was not to bad nailed a double the first stand then four singles by noon I was home skinning all came in with ruffy dog call.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 AM

Hate to say it but same thing Got skunked too the dogs are getting call wise. Time too bring out the bitch in heat. Lol
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 AM

I think being male or female a coyote is always up for a easy meal so i cant see them being pre-occupied with a female...my thoughts are their getting call shy...before you could fart and they would come but with the predaor quest dude and the likes on tv alot of people out trying and it dont take long to train a coyote they are smarter than alot of people give them credit for...managed to get three on weekend only one came to set up and thats because i seen him before he seen me.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:56 AM

Coyotes are getting "call wise" because of the sheer number of guys going after them now. Predator hunting WAS the best kept secret going until a few years ago. Now everyone have their e-callers out blasting

Thats why I still prefer to use hand calls and have alot of success with it, once you get practiced up you can have more variety with a hand call.

Also alot of guys are using calls on the e-calls that can get them into trouble (ie. the standard "wood pecker" call, that comes on almost all of them). I highly doubt anyone has gotten charged for it but that call (although I think it is dumb) is illegal to use in the field by the way the regs are written.

Have fun out there!

LC
Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM

Sounds like my weekend. Was expecting to have a amazing day but could not get any action except for one at the very begining that my buddy missed. I'm discouraged because it was my best spot and I felt I tried all my tricks. Nothing was seeming to work.

Have not used howling much. I have foxpro spitfire but the howls don't seem to good. I use my hand calls for rabbit and mouse often.

Is there a better howling call from foxpro I should get? What howling hand call do people recommend also? I like to have both.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkster View Post
Sounds like my weekend. Was expecting to have a amazing day but could not get any action except for one at the very begining that my buddy missed. I'm discouraged because it was my best spot and I felt I tried all my tricks. Nothing was seeming to work.

Have not used howling much. I have foxpro spitfire but the howls don't seem to good. I use my hand calls for rabbit and mouse often.

Is there a better howling call from foxpro I should get? What howling hand call do people recommend also? I like to have both.
i am using the randy anderson hot dog howler. love it!
Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Spitfire howls work awesome.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 PM

For howling, what sort of sequences do you do and how often. I'd like to hear both when using the spitfire and using hand calls.

I've always struggled with the howling because in my mind, a coyote might come within eyeshot, but what causes it to come in close when it actaully can't see the other coyotee calling? I'm not saying it doesn't work, just saying the logic that is in my uneducated or lack of experienced brain.

Thoughts? Explanations?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
For howling, what sort of sequences do you do and how often. I'd like to hear both when using the spitfire and using hand calls.

I've always struggled with the howling because in my mind, a coyote might come within eyeshot, but what causes it to come in close when it actaully can't see the other coyotee calling? I'm not saying it doesn't work, just saying the logic that is in my uneducated or lack of experienced brain.

Thoughts? Explanations?
It is mating season for them. What makes a bull elk come in to you cow calling? Same thing....Use the female whimpers or bark howls. The males will come in. If coyotes are hanging up on you try the pup screams. I had a couple hang up at about a mile away and I turned on the pup screams and they came in along with 4 others!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Thoughts? Explanations?
I use a lone howler decoy with both distress and howling .. It gives them something to look at and evn then they might not come .. It's been pretty good in the past but somebody let the cat out of the bag and let the rest of the world know what fun a few of us were having all to our selves .Like was said earlier everybody is now a pred. caller .
Old 01-25-2012, 03:53 PM

There are more guys out this year because of the lack of snow. If there was snow like last year or on a normal year you would not see the hunters because of the work having to trudge through the snow to actually make stands.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM

Does anyone use other decoys? i just bought the foxpro decoy that plugs into my caller so i can turn it on and off.

Any recommendations on the use of this device. let it always run, only during rabbit calls, intermitently etc.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Does anyone use other decoys? i just bought the foxpro decoy that plugs into my caller so i can turn it on and off.

Any recommendations on the use of this device. let it always run, only during rabbit calls, intermitently etc.
I think if I used an e-caller then their decoy would be the way to go ... To add motion to my 3-d plastic lone howler I attached a pheasant wing on a swivel under the jaw that flutters in the slightest breeze.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:31 PM

got 2 dogs on the weekend using the primos coyote calls probably saw about 6 or 7. and what i was finding was they weren't coming into the predator calls as much as they were coming to the pup yipes and serronades. try to think of sequences in your head. for example say you do a locater howl when you first get settled do a couple answers with high and lower pitched howls to try and give it some depth , then give it about lets say 30 or so seconds then do a serronade with some pup yipes.

never give up, ive just begun to have luck this year and i've been trying for about 2.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:43 PM

Yah the pup ypps were working a little for me on the weekend. If you do happened to get a dog coming in on distress right now chances are it's just a pup anyway.I had two pups come in for me as well last weekend with distress.Still have to work on my howling though. Just havn't had much luck howling this year.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Still coming in fine with a distress call you just need to be where the dogs are in extreme cold temps a dog will flat out run in from miles away but in warmer weather they may not be as aggressive. I find in warmer temps close to bedding areas and from first light till noon is the best. Nailed another three yesterday and I had my 2 year old with me at each stand and had no problems getting them!