Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 AM

Default Wifey Drops Her First Buck

This would be my wife's third year hunting with me, and up until now she's only harvested poor innocent whitetail does. This year she put in for antlered mulie, and drew for 156.

We have permission on 800 acres of prime real estate, wheatfields, grazing land, and a massive coulee that runs straight through the entire section. I drew for antlerless, and contributed to the doe slaughter on remembrance day. 156 is one of those funny zones where you can only hunt deer from Wednesday to Saturday (moose, elk, and birds can be hunted all week though. Never understood the logic...) so yesterday was our last day to fill her tag.

Wife had been out by herself Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday while I was at work. She spent those three days watching a nice 5x4 and his haram of 15 does across the fence line on land we didn't have permission on. I put the wheels in motion on Friday to try and gain access on the 1.25 sections south of us. Left a message with the landowner, who unfortunately was out of town until Saturday evening (he did grant us access at 6pm on Saturday haha).

Saturday, we spent all day watching big boy across the fence. With 15 does at his disposal, he had no interest in coming to pay us a visit. We played around with a couple mulie does. I was carrying my 12ga, trying to flush partridge out, shot a couple holes in the sky... All in all, a very uneventful final day of hunting.

4:30 we decide that we've both had enough. Big boy is already nestled in for the night. We wave goodbye, "See you next year!" (when I pull my tag), and make for the truck to head back to town. We hop in the truck and make our way north to pop into the landowner's house and thank them for the access this year. halfway up the range-road I spot a deer in the field. Whitetail buck?? I've hunted this property for four years and never once seen a whitetail buck. Few whitetail does here and there, but never a buck.

We head north into the lease access and make chase on foot. He was moving at a good clip down into the coulee and showed no signs of slowing down. I tell the wife to be ready for him to pop out on the far side of the ridge. She had my Stoney Point quick attach bi-pod ready to go. Sure enough, he stops up, broadside at the top of the coulee on the opposite side of us. I let out a grunt to hold his attention. Figuring him to be between 250 and 300 yards out, I told my wife where to hold over and she let a shot ring off. Buck dropped like a sack of holiday hams. Wife was unsure of the bucks location after her shot rang off. I assured her that he was down.

We made our way back to the truck and circled around the property, through a wheat field, across to the opposite side of the coulee. Sure enough he was DRT. I opted to do the dirty work, as we were now about a half hour after sun down, and I'm a little faster with a knife. Bing, bang, boom, 62 minutes later, we're back in Calgary and hanging the deer in our buddies walk-in cooler.

This was the longest shot my wife has ever made on game, and she set-up, got on the deer, and fired with speed and confidence. That made me the most proud.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:45 AM

Good for her! Congrats!
Old 11-28-2021, 10:52 AM

Excellent job!...
Old 11-28-2021, 11:03 AM

Congratulations to your wife, and thanks for the story.

I appreciate your comment about how happy you were with her confidence in handling the rifle and setting up the shot. That is such a huge part of the process, something I feel that we as guys take for granted because we've likely grown up with guns.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:23 AM

Well done, congrats to your wife !
Old 11-28-2021, 11:35 AM

Great pics!!

Good job!
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 11-28-2021, 11:47 AM

That's a darn good shot to make in a hurry, congrats to her for that and taking her first buck!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-28-2021, 01:15 PM

Well she get's an " ATTAGIRL" for that buck and you get an " ATTABOY" for mentoring her along, well done both of you.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:15 PM

that's a big body deer congrats
Old 11-28-2021, 04:31 PM

Congrats

There are no absolutes
Old 11-28-2021, 04:39 PM

He's perfect!

Nice work young lady!!!! Thats what we like to see.
Old 11-28-2021, 04:45 PM

Congrats to your wife on her first buck she looks very happy
Old 11-28-2021, 04:48 PM

We’ll done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
This would be my wife's third year hunting with me, and up until now she's only harvested poor innocent whitetail does. This year she put in for antlered mulie, and drew for 156.

We have permission on 800 acres of prime real estate, wheatfields, grazing land, and a massive coulee that runs straight through the entire section. I drew for antlerless, and contributed to the doe slaughter on remembrance day. 156 is one of those funny zones where you can only hunt deer from Wednesday to Saturday (moose, elk, and birds can be hunted all week though. Never understood the logic...) so yesterday was our last day to fill her tag.

Wife had been out by herself Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday while I was at work. She spent those three days watching a nice 5x4 and his haram of 15 does across the fence line on land we didn't have permission on. I put the wheels in motion on Friday to try and gain access on the 1.25 sections south of us. Left a message with the landowner, who unfortunately was out of town until Saturday evening (he did grant us access at 6pm on Saturday haha).

Saturday, we spent all day watching big boy across the fence. With 15 does at his disposal, he had no interest in coming to pay us a visit. We played around with a couple mulie does. I was carrying my 12ga, trying to flush partridge out, shot a couple holes in the sky... All in all, a very uneventful final day of hunting.

4:30 we decide that we've both had enough. Big boy is already nestled in for the night. We wave goodbye, "See you next year!" (when I pull my tag), and make for the truck to head back to town. We hop in the truck and make our way north to pop into the landowner's house and thank them for the access this year. halfway up the range-road I spot a deer in the field. Whitetail buck?? I've hunted this property for four years and never once seen a whitetail buck. Few whitetail does here and there, but never a buck.

We head north into the lease access and make chase on foot. He was moving at a good clip down into the coulee and showed no signs of slowing down. I tell the wife to be ready for him to pop out on the far side of the ridge. She had my Stoney Point quick attach bi-pod ready to go. Sure enough, he stops up, broadside at the top of the coulee on the opposite side of us. I let out a grunt to hold his attention. Figuring him to be between 250 and 300 yards out, I told my wife where to hold over and she let a shot ring off. Buck dropped like a sack of holiday hams. Wife was unsure of the bucks location after her shot rang off. I assured her that he was down.

We made our way back to the truck and circled around the property, through a wheat field, across to the opposite side of the coulee. Sure enough he was DRT. I opted to do the dirty work, as we were now about a half hour after sun down, and I'm a little faster with a knife. Bing, bang, boom, 62 minutes later, we're back in Calgary and hanging the deer in our buddies walk-in cooler.

This was the longest shot my wife has ever made on game, and she set-up, got on the deer, and fired with speed and confidence. That made me the most proud.

>>
Congrats to you Mrs fella. .Great job!!
Old 11-28-2021, 07:47 PM

Congrats, glad to see people having success. I am sure this will be your first of many.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Great to see that she was getting out on her own too, many wait for company which usually is only good for the drag out

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-29-2021, 07:08 AM

Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 08:13 AM

Good for her! Congratulations!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-29-2021, 10:30 AM

Default Buck

Well done,congratulations
Old 11-29-2021, 10:40 AM

nice pics, congratulations, thats awesome!
Old 11-29-2021, 11:58 AM

Congrats on her first buck!!!
Old 11-30-2021, 09:04 AM

My wife, Taylor, thanks you all for the congratulations.

She thought that the guys on the AO forum were supposed to be mean. I told her that was only in the case of other men... Ladies are usually off limits!!
Old 11-30-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronneroi View Post
She thought that the guys on the AO forum were supposed to be mean. I told her that was only in the case of other men... Ladies are usually off limits!!
Haha! I beleive that to be true!

Congratulations to you both. It sure is something special to be able to share this sport with the one you love the most.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:00 PM

CONGRATS on her first, may there be many more come her way.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:09 PM

250-300 isn't a chip shot. Congrats to your wife and you. Great shot , great Buck.
Old 11-30-2021, 09:26 PM
Banned

Yeah, 250+ is a good shot. I've never been a great shot, nice buck.