Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2021, 12:21 PM

Default Big pot for taxidermy

Where can a guy get a big pot for boiling skull mounts. I’ve got 3 deer heads to do so I would like to pick up a pot in south Calgary. Just any cheap pot like a turkey fryer pot or something. Thanks
Old 11-27-2021, 12:34 PM

https://www.princessauto.com/en/16-3...t/PA0008972796

https://www.costco.ca/65%2c000-btu-p...100770109.html

they cooker is in stock at the costco in Tsuu T'ina
That pot should fit nicely on it for deer, I have a bigger galvanized tub for elk that fits nicely on the cooker.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:50 PM

The real Canadian wholesale club.
They carry a lot of kitchen supplies, including big aluminum pots.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:11 PM

Costco business centre
Old 11-27-2021, 01:43 PM

Peavy Mart.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-27-2021, 02:38 PM

Thanks guys. I’ll head over to princess auto. For 10 bucks I’ll get a galvanized tub for boiling
Old 11-27-2021, 02:44 PM

I went with this tub a few years ago. Big enough for a bull elk, it takes awhile to get up to temp though.

https://www.peaveymart.com/homestead...eel-tub/602396
Old 11-27-2021, 02:48 PM

I know its off topic has anyone tried steaming a skull mount? I have a small boiler (steam/press washer for steaming equipment off premaintenece) I have wondered if it would work as long as I kept the press low and stayed clear of the horns would it work?
Old 11-27-2021, 03:22 PM

If you can, try to avoid boiling, its bad for skull. maceration works better but smells terrible so will need to be done way away from house haha.

If you need to boil it, simmer it slowly rather than outright boil, its not as hard on it.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanpktaxiderm View Post
If you can, try to avoid boiling, its bad for skull. maceration works better but smells terrible so will need to be done way away from house haha.

If you need to boil it, simmer it slowly rather than outright boil, its not as hard on it.
Good to know. I’m fleshing as much as possible to keep boiling to a minimum.
Old 11-27-2021, 03:38 PM

I used one of these for a moose head recently. I cut two slits partway down the sides to drop the antlers into and can get the whole head in there and put the lid on. Having the lid on helps keep the moisture and heat in. I do need to flip it at the end to get the back of the skull as well but this way the antler bases are never really in the hot water, just in a bit of steam. It worked quite well. The only issue is the can isn’t technically 100% water tight at the bottom. I was going to put some high temp sealant in there but once it heated up it seemed to swell shut anyway and stopped the very slow drip it started with. Something like this would also work for deer and then still give you the option of using it for something larger. Or they have smaller versions of these as well. Obviously with it being galvanized, only use it outside with good ventilation away from the house.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/75-l...t/PA0008281990
Old 11-27-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
I used one of these for a moose head recently. I cut two slits partway down the sides to drop the antlers into and can get the whole head in there and put the lid on. Having the lid on helps keep the moisture and heat in. I do need to flip it at the end to get the back of the skull as well but this way the antler bases are never really in the hot water, just in a bit of steam. It worked quite well. The only issue is the can isn’t technically 100% water tight at the bottom. I was going to put some high temp sealant in there but once it heated up it seemed to swell shut anyway and stopped the very slow drip it started with. Something like this would also work for deer and then still give you the option of using it for something larger. Or they have smaller versions of these as well. Obviously with it being galvanized, only use it outside with good ventilation away from the house.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/75-l...t/PA0008281990
Awesome. I’ll have a look at that one too when I’m
At princess auto. I like the idea of the 41 litre as it’s smaller and my propane burner I’m using isn’t terribly powerful. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:04 PM

Just walked thru our local Value Village. It'll have almost all of your cooking utensil needs. Short of space right now, otherwise I would have picked up that large cast wok.
Old 11-27-2021, 04:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up MY Alberta
Old 11-27-2021, 05:07 PM

I tried the garbage can route once with one from Canadian tire. It leaked too much for my liking, and of course I tested that after I cut it...

Since you live in Calgary I would suggest getting a container that won't leak. At least where I live here the skunks would have a hay day with ground soaked in deer flavored water. Not to mention my dog.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:30 PM

I use one of those big enamel big canning pots, not hard to find. Trick is to keep removing meat as you go along and run a hooked wire up the spinal orifice.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-27-2021, 06:31 PM

Big pots wholesale club or russel Hendrix
Old 11-27-2021, 09:09 PM

I just use half a metal barrel .
Old 11-27-2021, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass410 View Post
I know its off topic has anyone tried steaming a skull mount? I have a small boiler (steam/press washer for steaming equipment off premaintenece) I have wondered if it would work as long as I kept the press low and stayed clear of the horns would it work?
This might work real good. See if someone could supply you with a doe skull and try it on that first.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets