Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2021, 11:27 AM

Default RE: Best 12 GA shotgun For Waterfowl Hunting

Since we had a thread started by North40Rules on the best shotgun shell choke combination for geese which by the way was a great thread now let's get down what the best 12 GA waterfowl shotgun would be and why.

I am no stranger to shotguns in the last 6 years I have shot an average of 9,000 rounds of 12 ga ammunition per year, all target loads in practice and registered trap shoots, I own a Krieghoff KX6 Special, A Beretta DT11 sporting and a Caesar Gurini summit combo none of which I would ever consider taking out to the blind for waterfowl.

I got back into waterfowl hunting this fall but instead of running out and buying a gun I borrowed a couple and did some test driving, I used a Benelli super sport with 3" chamber and a browning A5 with a 3" chamber, both of which worked just fine and I hammer a pile of ducks and geese with them, the one thing that I did find out was that 30" and 32" barrels have no place in a blind IMHO.

So given that I am in the market for a waterfowl gun I'd like to hear what others have to say, as stated in the other thread we shoot over decoys almost exclusively and I found that 2 3/4 " and 3" shell have more than enough whollop to knock down the biggest goose that flies if I do my job and center their vitals up, so I can't see me buying something with a 3 1/2" chamber

Let me know your thoughts and opinions
Thanks
Ed

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:32 AM

Since you typically like better quality shotguns, I would go with either an A400, or a Maxus, whichever fits you better.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:46 AM

The one that fits you.
Personally I’d be looking at a gas cycle semi with a self regulating system so there’s no messing around from light trap loads to 3.5” heavies.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-27-2021, 12:04 PM
Banned

Default Browning, 12g Superposed, Pigeon Grade Shotgun (Over/Under)

My favorite shotgun of all time to hunt both waterfowl and upland birds with was a Browning, 12g Superposed, Pigeon Grade Shotgun (Over/Under).

What a beautiful shotgun, fit me like a glove, I loved it!

A picture of one I found online

Old 11-27-2021, 12:32 PM

Only an opinion but I'd buy a 3.5" capable anyways just in case, and shoot 3" in it if thats all you want to do. Unless the 3" version is a lot cheaper. Fit and how it swings is important. For me that is a Beretta semi, A350 or 400, and it took everything I have not to bite on a Franchi Affinity 3 while they were on sale for Black Friday pricing. Lighter gun that swings like a dream and comes from the best shotgun factories in the world IMO.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:58 PM

Call me crazy but I picked up the Savage Renegauge and man did I like the way it handled. Can basically be fit every which way as well.
I have owned and shot shot a lot of what’s common to Alberta before I figured out the problem was me. Except for berretta as I just don’t like the way they feel. (But the guys the berettas fit seem to really like them) and settled on the SX3 and 4. I find the Winchester SX to be a cheap dependable gun that fits well.
My Benelli Super Vinci’s and Black Eagle 2 were great except for the dreaded Benelli click when you got straw in the action or it doesn’t slam shut. My Browning A5 I really liked the looks and it was very very reliable ,smooth cycling but I just couldn’t get it to fit.
Barrel length is important too for Canada and speck geese I like 30” and for ducks and fast action close up snows I like the 28” but want to get a 26” for faster target acquisition up close

Last edited by ganderblaster; 11-27-2021 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:11 PM

Ed, head on into Prophet River and handle a few of their offerings. I don’t think you can go wrong with Browning or Beretta. I really don’t.

Best I shot all year was when I was a half hour down the highway to meet up with Ganderblaster and Elk 11. Realized I forgot my damn gun in the garage. Asked Elk if I could use his backup SX3. Dang thing just felt like it was made for me.

Anyone has a gently used SX3 let me know.