Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 06:19 AM
Banned

Default The Best 12 Gauge Shotgun Shell for Hunting Geese

Hello, fellow Waterfowlers!

Was having a friendly conversation with a nice fellow member the other day (waldedw). waldedw I sent you a pm if you would link to participate in this thread since it is obvious to me that you are definitely an expert waterfowler!

We were discussing our favorite loads/shells For Goose Hunting. I said that I preferred Full Choke, 3" Mag and #BB's for geese, and he enjoys using Mod choke with 3" x 1 1/8 oz #2 steel for Geese.

Everyone has their preferences and I would like to know what other Goose hunters prefer using these days and why? There are many brands to choose from these days and the prices are all over the map some are extraordinarily expensive!

I will confess that I used to do a lot of goose hunting over the years but have been focusing on big-game for many years and am now thinking of getting back into goose hunting. So with that in mind, I went to YouTube to find compassions of shells on the market today, to see which are the best.

I found this video where a person did a pattern comparison with many different brands, it is well done however he was shooting freehand at the targets and flinching could have impacted his test.

This is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcAyMZWR9ys

So I would like to know which choke and shell combo you are using today and why?

Cheers and Happy Hunting! N40

Last edited by North40Rules; 11-25-2021 at 06:37 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:31 AM

I am going with waldedw on the choice of ammunition. I prefer the denser pattern of #2, to the larger BB pellets, because it improves the odds of getting pellets into the head/neck area, which I target. That being said, I prefer the 1560fps load over the 1450fps load. As far as chokes go, you need to be careful if the rating is for lead or steel, a full lead choke is too tight for steel, and patterns suffer, as well as it not being recommended by the manufacturers, as it could damage the choke/barrel. I actually found a Briley extended LM choke to provide better patterns than MOD in my shotgun, as the pattern density is more uniform with the LM. That being said, I like the Patternmaster Code Black Goose, the patterns are quite good to 50 yards, but they are so tight at 20 yards, that a pattern centered on the body will pretty much ruin a goose.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:37 AM
Banned

I should have added that back in the day, our main hunting adventures were based on waterfowl hunting, then I ate a steady stream of geese and ducks.

One of the reasons why I switched to BB's is that I found that there was too much lead shot in the meat which made it unpleasant to eat.

In later years I came to the conclusion that my report cards in school were unenviable because I was suffering from lead poisoning! If I had figured that out when I was young I would have blamed my father for my poor report cards because he was having me eat so much lead! lol

In any case the fewer pellets in the meat, the better it eats IMO
Old 11-25-2021, 08:08 AM

I must admit that I used to do a lot of waterfowl hunting but did get away from it for some years also, this fall I got back into it after an invite from a buddy of mine and I realized what I had been missing, it's just flat out a hoot watching big birds drop their landing gear over the decoys and I am hooked big time again, in fact I have already bought 5 dozen silhouette decoy's and looking at an A frame blind.

We shoot exclusively over decoys so our max shot is usually no more that 35 - 40 yards, I started out with a mod choke for lead so that would be IM / F with steel, it tore them up if they were in close so I switch to an IC for lead so LM / mod with steel shot, much better, patterns nice and kills them dead out to 40 yards.

As far as shot shells go I used a myriad of different loads this fall as I was using up some old stock and some partial boxes of steel that I had sitting around, I shot 3" kent fast steel 1 1/8 oz #2 and #4 at 1550 FPS both worked well, also shot a box of the same but in BB and was not overly impressed. I had a box of PMC 3" 1 1/4 oz #2 steel @ 1400 FPS that to worked well and I did shoot 2 boxes of Winchester super X 2 3/4" 1 1/16 oz #2 steel at 1550 FPS, I couldn't really tell the difference between them and the 3" except the recoil and when you hit a bird it folded. The last couple shoots after I burned up my old ammo I shot Winchester super X xpert high velocity 3" 1 1/8 oz #2 @ 1550 FPS and that really was the best load IMHO. The thing I find about #2 is that it also works well for duck so when they bomb in your not scrambling to change loads.

A friend of mine shoots nothing but federal 2 3/4" 1 1/16 oz #3 steel at 1550 FPS and he kills a pile of ducks and geese, of course again over decoys and the guy I hunt with regularly and his wife both shoot 3" 1oz #2 out of their 20 ga's and they hammer geese also.

I have never shot a 3 1/2" shell and never will, just can't see why a guy would take that pounding and pay 35% more when it's not needed, but that's just my opinion.

So for what it's worth that's what I found this fall, I got in on a deal with my nephew who bought out a pile of steel ammo from a store getting out of ammunition, there is lots of different stuff there so next fall will be the testing grounds again, there is Remington sportsman, and Remington Express, Winchester super X, Federal black cloud and they are all in a combination of #2 ,#4 and BB and 2 3/4" and 3 ".

The bottom line is they will all work if you don't try to stretch the barrel, be patient and let the birds work, when they drop their landing gear and go full flaps into the wind and the decoy's hammer them.

Good hunting gents, take care and be safe
Ed

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.

Last edited by waldedw; 11-25-2021 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:28 AM

The best shell is the one that patterns best in your shotgun. The most expensive shot isn't worth a damn if doesn't give a consistent dense pattern. Sometimes the cheap stuff shoots just as well if not better than the fancy "designer loads".

I have been on a impromptu hunt were all I had was my 20 gauge pump with 3" #2 7/8oz loads and I dropped more birds that the 3 shooting their semi auto 3 1/2" BB's. One of the best hunters I know still uses a single shot 2 3/4" Cooey 84 with a modified choke and Score loads. Its all about the pattern and your ability to put it on target.

As Elk said be careful using steel shot through a full choke. Steel does not compress like lead and most damage the choke or worse, cause a catastrophic failure.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-25-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
I should have added that back in the day, our main hunting adventures were based on waterfowl hunting, then I ate a steady stream of geese and ducks.

One of the reasons why I switched to BB's is that I found that there was too much lead shot in the meat which made it unpleasant to eat.

In later years I came to the conclusion that my report cards in school were unenviable because I was suffering from lead poisoning! If I had figured that out when I was young I would have blamed my father for my poor report cards because he was having me eat so much lead! lol

In any case the fewer pellets in the meat, the better it eats IMO
You get a lot fewer pellets in the breast, if you place the pattern on the head/neck.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:36 PM

In my 20 gauge I use IC/ CYL , but my 12 gauges are both cylinder bore .
I use #2 steel in the 20 and #'s 2 or 4 Bismuth or Nice Shot in the 12's
I normally hung over decoys as well ....
Cat
Old 11-25-2021, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
You get a lot fewer pellets in the breast, if you place the pattern on the head/neck.
I only shoot geese and ducks in flight, that is hard to do, especially on teal zipping by at 60 MPH! lol
Old 11-25-2021, 12:46 PM

I find a choke suited to the hunting conditions is more important then the shell. If hunting outside the spread Patternmaster Goose inside the spread I love the Trulock SK2 that forum members recommended. I used to worry about shells now I only pay attention to the payload oz measurements. 2-3/4” don’t seem to cycle as well as 3” in a lot of autoloaders but they work just fine.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:49 PM

I use either 2 3/4" or 3" 20 gauge ammo, depending on what I chose that day.
My one 12 gauge uses 2 1/2" and the other is a muzzle loader
Cat
Old 11-25-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I only shoot geese and ducks in flight, that is hard to do, especially on teal zipping by at 60 MPH! lol
A clay target used in skeet and sporting clays has a much smaller side profile than the head/neck of a goose, and we shoot them at 50 mph, which is a lot faster than a goose landing into a decoy spread.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A clay target used in skeet and sporting clays has a much smaller side profile than the head/neck of a goose, and we shoot them at 50 mph, which is a lot faster than a goose landing into a decoy spread.
Agreed, I have personally shot thousands of rounds of skeet, trap and sporting clay shooting, the difference is you know what a clay pigeon is going to do, unlike teal as an example.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:32 PM

I have been using a Patternmaster Anaconda extended choke, medium range. I measured the constriction at .715 inches. That puts this choke somewhere between a standard IC and medium choke. I usually use #2 steel shot but also use #1 (hard to get) and BB. Have never used 3 1/2" shells because I look at price tags. 2 3/4" and 3" shells are fine. If the geese are decoying great #2 shot is my choice. If they're shy......BBs

I also have a Patternmaster extended choke, long range which I measured at .693". That diameter is equivalent to a full choke. I found the pattern to be too tight and it can really mess up birds at 30 yards. At 20 yards pray for head shots only :-|
Old 11-25-2021, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I have been using a Patternmaster Anaconda extended choke, medium range. I measured the constriction at .715 inches. That puts this choke somewhere between a standard IC and medium choke. I usually use #2 steel shot but also use #1 (hard to get) and BB. Have never used 3 1/2" shells because I look at price tags. 2 3/4" and 3" shells are fine. If the geese are decoying great #2 shot is my choice. If they're shy......BBs

I also have a Patternmaster extended choke, long range which I measured at .693". That diameter is equivalent to a full choke. I found the pattern to be too tight and it can really mess up birds at 30 yards. At 20 yards pray for head shots only :-|
Thanks for that tip! I went to their website and they do not have one for my type of shotgun (I don't think). I sent them an email, hoping one of them fits!

Cheers N40
Old 11-25-2021, 06:09 PM
Banned

I liked the blended heavi shot ammo
Seemed to knocked birds down a little better than steel
Less runners and gliders
More birds bouncing off the ground
Old 11-25-2021, 11:12 PM

Its the Indian ...not the arrow!

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 11-25-2021, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Its the Indian ...not the arrow!
EXACTLY!! That is precisely why I use BBs with my Full Choke

I do not need lots of Birdshot because I am a very good shot and I hate having lots of birdshot in my goose and duck breasts! Plus they pack more UMPH at distance

Cheers N40

Last edited by North40Rules; 11-26-2021 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
EXACTLY!! That is precisely why I use BBs with my Full Choke

I do not need lots of Birdshot because I am a very good shot and I hate having lots of birdshot in my goose and duck breasts! Plus they pack more UMPH at distance

Cheers N40
x3 ... i use mueller UFO chokes and centre my load on the bill just in front of the nostril on the opposing side
Old 11-26-2021, 09:49 AM

It is not uncommon to find several different actual constructions on five or six different chokes marked
" full" or other designation when they ate actually measured.
Cat
Old 11-26-2021, 10:27 AM

Absolutely you will find chokes from different manufacturers that are marked " F " but when you put a caliper in them you will find that they may run from .690 " to . 710 " I have krieghoff chokes that are marked " M " that caliper at .712 and browning chokes marked " F " that caliper .711 but the bore diameters of those 2 guns are also different Krieghoff is .732" bore and browning is .742 " bore. There is a lot more to chokes than meets the eye.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
x3 ... i use mueller UFO chokes and centre my load on the bill just in front of the nostril on the opposing side
Leading helps too! I have been hunting ducks and geese for about 56 years and have killed more geese and ducks than I can count that's for sure. I also grew up on a skeet and trap range, so I basically have it down to a science by now.

I do miss occasionally, it depends on how much I had to drink the night before, at what time I went to bed, and how bad the hangover is lol
Old 11-26-2021, 10:56 AM

Keep in mind that bore diameters change from gun to gun, so the overall choke restrictions are not the same.
My bore diameter on my 12ga Benelli is 0.728" and on my Berretta is 0.7305"
Modified is what works best on Benelli and a IC on Berretta.

At the beginning of season I use 2.75", 1 1/8 #B @ 1475fps (RSI#64) or 3", 1 1/8 #1@ 1590fps (RSI#83)
at the end of the season I use 3" loads 1 1/8 #B or BB @ 1590fps (RSI#83)

Finding the best combination load + pattern requires some shooting on paper.

A good page to analyze your patterns is that of Dr Jones http://www.shotgun-insight.com
The page has not been updated in years and you need an old PC and browser (with Jawa enabled) to make it work.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Leading helps too! I have been hunting ducks and geese for about 56 years and have killed more geese and ducks than I can count that's for sure. I also grew up on a skeet and trap range, so I basically have it down to a science by now.

I do miss occasionally, it depends on how much I had to drink the night before, at what time I went to bed, and how bad the hangover is lol
LOL - I LEAD TOO so that my pattern centres on the bill when it arrives .. NOT focusing all shots on the bill ONLY ... same for upland
Old 11-26-2021, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
LOL - I LEAD TOO so that my pattern centres on the bill when it arrives .. NOT focusing all shots on the bill ONLY ... same for upland
Right on Brother, or should I say Right On Target Brother? lol
Old 11-26-2021, 11:32 AM

This last year I shot the $26@box shells. Year before it was the $18@box shells. I match the shell length to the chamber, 3" in my case. Choke was an afterthought, and luckily the manufacturers default was mod, which I shoot at all game birds. For geese I prefer a #2 over decs, and will switch to a BB for pass. I find limiting my shots increases knockdown.
Old 11-26-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Exactly my point, that is the best way to get clean kills, and reduce the number of pellets in the meat. The people that try to center the pattern center mass, are going to get more pellets in the breast.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:20 AM

Sorry to dig up old hash but I just happened to be perusing a web site and noticed Kent Tungsten Matrix 3" x 1 1/4 oz #3 @ 1525 FPS they were $59.99 + tax per box of 10 rounds................. seriously $6.30 per round for waterfowl loads.

Kent bismuth was the same price per box of 25 but still that's over $2.50 per round, really.

Sorry it just sort of blew my mind that people actually pay that for waterfowl loads, wow

Old 12-09-2021, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Sorry to dig up old hash but I just happened to be perusing a web site and noticed Kent Tungsten Matrix 3" x 1 1/4 oz #3 @ 1525 FPS they were $59.99 + tax per box of 10 rounds................. seriously $6.30 per round for waterfowl loads.

Kent bismuth was the same price per box of 25 but still that's over $2.50 per round, really.

Sorry it just sort of blew my mind that people actually pay that for waterfowl loads, wow
Crazy hey, how do they set their prices?

I remember when I started hunting a box of decent shotgun shells were $5.00!

How is your daughter-in-law doing?

Cheers N40
Old 12-09-2021, 08:03 AM
Gone Hunting

We used to shoot 2,3/4 inch lead shells with 1,1/4 oz of #2 and BB for Geese with an average velocity of 1350 ft/sec All Magnum shells were much slower but had the bigger payload of pellets like 1,7/8 oz so if you were good shot you were better to shoot faster loads with fewer pellets.

Now some of the 3,1/2 inch loads have more pellets and higher velocity than 3" shells. Semi-autos those days reduce felt recoil to a much greater extent than 20 years ago.

When steel shot was introduced velocity and performance were pathetic. Liter pellets did not have the momentum to kill birds as lead pellets would. If IRC norm was 1275 ft/sec. Now you can have 1625/ 1700 ft per sec loads that perform really well.
Standart those days for steel is 1550 ft/sec and I would not shoot steel with less than this (unless you got lots of old shells as I do Federal 8 $ per box)
Pattern your chokes, Good Luck

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 12-09-2021, 09:00 AM

I’ve had a disproportional amount of success, and have helped others get good results with a single load.
3” Winchester Xpert, 1-1/8oz, #2’s (1550fps)
Now since no 2 chokes seem to perform the same, even with the same make, but start at modified, and pattern. Adjust up or down in constriction, till you get the patterns you like.

I had excellent results with stock REM Choke MOD in my 11-87, the boy did wonders for years with a Kick’s Hi-Flyer MOD in the 870, I’m getting great results with a Improved MOD in the Wby 18i, and Rugersingle ran MOD in his CZ over under this fall with good results…….. all the same load.(above)

There are no absolutes