Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-23-2021, 09:53 AM

Default Seniors Partner Hunts

I really like the privilege of being able to partner with a Youth on big game hunts of most species. I have done this with several species and really enjoyed these hunts.

I would like to ask for opinions on a proposal I am trying to formulate.

What are your thoughts on Seniors being able to partner on any species, with the partner sponsor being under Senior in age?

Would age 65 and up be a good idea or 70 and up, or?

Should there be a defined age group to be able to partner with a Senior or should it be just under the defined Senior age category?

I think it would give Seniors additional opportunities to hunt long wait draws etc. when their physical ability is tapering off, and Family or friends would like to see them still be able to participate.

Any input would be appreciated.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-23-2021, 10:00 AM

I think 65 would be great, why not, it’s about sharing the experience. Make it the same as the youth for options.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
I think 65 would be great, why not, it’s about sharing the experience. Make it the same as the youth for options.
Thanks for the input! That's exactly along the lines I'm thinking.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:10 AM

With how limited hunting opportunities are becoming, and how long it takes for some draws, I think there should be far more "Partner" opportunities for all tag holders. I see nothing wrong with two people getting to hunt on one tag. More enjoyment, same harvest level.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:17 AM

Default Seniors

Great idea! 65 and up seems reasonable. While the old timers can still get around well.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
With how limited hunting opportunities are becoming, and how long it takes for some draws, I think there should be far more "Partner" opportunities for all tag holders. I see nothing wrong with two people getting to hunt on one tag. More enjoyment, same harvest level.
Unfortunately this would be a slippery slope for abuse.

The idea of the Senior partner hunt is valid, but considering those in this age group have had a lifetime to enjoy the passion, I don't think its a great idea personally. The youth partner license is great, introduces many to the sport and allows these individuals opportunities they would not normally qualify for.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:31 AM

Doesn’t bother me I say have at it for the older folk, what does is the fact that kids will never be able to hunt many of the most coveted tags due to cheap draw prices, long wait times and point creep
Old 11-23-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Agreed!! One thing about the Partner type Program is it does not increase tag numbers or wait times. A tag holder could then choose either a Youth or a Senior.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Agreed!! One thing about the Partner type Program is it does not increase tag numbers or wait times. A tag holder could then choose either a Youth or a Senior.
What evidence can you provide that the partner program does not influence tag numbers or wait times?

Wait times are heavily influenced by success rates.
Higher success rates cause lower tag numbers.
Lower tag numbers increase wait times.

I suspect that current harvest data from partner licences would show that your proposal would indeed result in both lower tag numbers and increased wait times.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-23-2021, 11:35 AM

Default Seniors Partner Hunts

Edit - sorry, I misread the post
Old 11-23-2021, 11:38 AM

From the regs

Quote:
Resident Senior Hunting Licences
A resident 65 years of age or older, at the time of acquiring the following licences may purchase a Resident Youth/Senior Wildlife Certificate, including a Game Bird Licence, for $8.30. The holder of a valid Resident Youth/Senior Wildlife Certificate may also purchase a Youth/Senior White-tailed Deer Licence for $8.25. These licences are only vaild during the seasons that do not require one of the special licences obtained through a draw. Partner Licences are also available to resident seniors if designated by the holder of any special licence.
It does state ANY special license, and if you look at the license combinations, there are are senior partner licenses listed for several species.

Just scroll down, and see seniors partner licenses listed.

https://albertaregulations.ca/huntin...encecosts.html
Old 11-23-2021, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
What evidence can you provide that the partner program does not influence tag numbers or wait times?

Wait times are heavily influenced by success rates.
Higher success rates cause lower tag numbers.
Lower tag numbers increase wait times.

I suspect that current harvest data from partner licences would show that your proposal would indeed result in both lower tag numbers and increased wait times.
So I guess after all that you are saying Partner tags have a much higher success ratio than non-partner tags??

I am not sure if the actual data is available. If it is I would like to see it for sure.

Yes I would have thought partner tags would not be any higher success rate, or significantly higher success rate than non-partner tags. I don't know why they would. Do I have hard data on that, no. If you can find the data it would be appreciated.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:53 AM

Elkhunter11 has made me aware that the provision for Seniors to partner on a Special Licence is already in place. Sure didn't know that!!

Page 17 of the hunting regulations:

Resident Senior Hunting Licences

Last sentence:
"Partner Licences are also available to resident seniors if designated by the holder of any special licence."

I am going to retreat to my cave...LOL
Old 11-23-2021, 12:03 PM

One of my group members already does this because he can no longer shoulder a rifle or fire a bow. Unfortunately he relies heavily on wild meat because of cost of living and at his age it makes it very hard for him to get out hunting at all. This year his designated partner had to pass up a deer on two occasions because the tag holder was unable to attend the hunt that day.

Personally I would like to see it set up so seniors could use a designated hunter without having to pay for a partner license and without having to be present. I can see where this would be abused so its not likely to happen.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-23-2021, 12:33 PM

I would still be interested to know if the success ratio for partner tags is higher.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I would still be interested to know if the success ratio for partner tags is higher.
I can only speak for myself, but of the four tags of mine that were filled by partners, I was standing beside the shooter each time, so I could have filled the tag, if I didn't have a partner.
Old 11-23-2021, 03:36 PM

Whats the difference?

Unless game is managed 100%, it isnt managed. So why pretend?

So a senior gets a partner tag. Or two guys use one license. I say have at it!
Old 11-23-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
One of my group members already does this because he can no longer shoulder a rifle or fire a bow. Unfortunately he relies heavily on wild meat because of cost of living and at his age it makes it very hard for him to get out hunting at all. This year his designated partner had to pass up a deer on two occasions because the tag holder was unable to attend the hunt that day.

Personally I would like to see it set up so seniors could use a designated hunter without having to pay for a partner license and without having to be present. I can see where this would be abused so its not likely to happen.
Its already abused. I know a family that does it with moose tags out in wildwood. Seems every year they get a couple moose tags and doesn't matter who's hunting its a "hey we shot one and we need you to bring your tag out when you're done work."
Old 11-23-2021, 04:56 PM

Anybody 65 and over can partner with anybody else on most special draw tags.
The big prize is Wainwright where you get 3 tags anyway so why not sign up dad to come along for the 3 days and he can hunt too.
My buddy is also over 65 and we buddy tag on all our moose draws. Just make sure we don't both get drawn in the same year.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:03 PM

Personally I would like to see it set up so seniors could use a designated hunter without having to pay for a partner license and without having to be present. I can see where this would be abused so its not likely to happen.[/QUOTE]

its not set up so that seniors can get somebody to harvest a deer for them, the senior can't put a non-senior on their tag. The added hunter has to be a senior. The draw holder can be any age and add the senior. The senior holding a draw tag can't add a non-senior, only another senior.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:30 PM

I think it would be great to open it the partner license to everyone. Especially with some new hunters, if they have a special draw, and flub the shot if someone is with them more experienced, technically unless you also have a draw tag it is not legal for you to help them get it down. My hope would be that it is not abused, but in situations as above it would add a factor of confidence that the animal isn’t going to suffer with a bad shot to the new hunter.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I hope that never happens, the abuse would be ridiculous, some people would have every friend and family member that doesn't hunt drawing tags for them. Some people would likely even try to pay strangers to add them as partners, if the tag holder didn't have to be present. They need to keep it so the tag holder has to be present.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Whats the difference?

Slow down. You are making far too bloody much sense.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Whats the difference?

Problem is that the government is pretending but the consequences are real.

Quote:
So I guess after all that you are saying Partner tags have a much higher success ratio than non-partner tags??

I am not sure if the actual data is available. If it is I would like to see it for sure.

Yes I would have thought partner tags would not be any higher success rate, or significantly higher success rate than non-partner tags. I don't know why they would. Do I have hard data on that, no. If you can find the data it would be appreciated.
I don't have the data, ASRD does.
The mandatory reporting system could dig out the success rates for partner licences.

While the difference is success rates may be small (or large), any variance can quickly result in a change of tags issued and thus wait times.

Currently there are several issues being discussed to attempt to lower wait times, most of which would only effect a few percentages of change. Partner licences may effect a similar or even greater influence on wait times.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."