Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2021, 11:34 AM

Default The deer I shot on sunday surprised us on dressed weight!

Just for fun we put the deer on my buds scale before we skinned him out. Not sure if its above average but seems pretty large compared to other deer i shot. 219 pounds .

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2021, 11:36 AM

Nice size deer and great trophy.
Congrats
Old 11-17-2021, 12:11 PM

I don’t weigh any deer but I am pretty sure I have dragged/pack a few that were easily in that same bracket if not more.

If they weren’t they sure felt like it at least

Oh and nice buck
Old 11-17-2021, 12:49 PM

Was he full of lead there 1shot??
Old 11-17-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Was he full of lead there 1shot??
1 shot = dropped!! Didnt go 0!!

Old 11-17-2021, 01:08 PM

Growing up on the east coast, my family always asked what the deer weighs, I havent heard of someone weighing a deer since I moved out here. Makes me want to start weighing mine again before its skinned out. I always find it impressive how much the hide can weigh! Thanks for the post. Brought back some memories!
Old 11-17-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
Just for fun we put the deer on my buds scale before we skinned him out. Not sure if its above average but seems pretty large compared to other deer i shot. 219 pounds .

Curious to see what the dressed out weight will be once its deboned and packaged! If you think of it! I've heard of guys saying they're getting 70+lbs of meat off bucks up here. But I find that to be a high number, given what I've got for pure meat at the end of it all.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:20 PM

Highest yield I ever got off a WT buck was 74 lbs weighed after cutting and wrapping..no idea what it weighed on the rail with hide on... it's an eastern thing to score your buck based on total weight + antlers in many deer camps. Biggest deer does not always have biggest rack.. interesting method for sizing deer..out west it's mostly about points and mass..
Old 11-17-2021, 01:21 PM

The first buck I ever shot I couldn’t load into the vehicle by myself. When my cousin came to help, we struggled but managed to do so. The buck was gutted. I never weighed him and don’t know ho much meat I got from him.

Later, I started weighing all meat that I wrapped (I have a spreadsheet, lol). Since then, the most I got from a whitetail was 52kg of trimmed and wrapped meat. That wasn’t a giant buck either, I could handle it on my own. Couldn’t even compare to the first. I haven’t shot anything like the first one again.

Edit:

Correction: checked the spreadsheet and it is 42 kg, not 52. Sorry.

Edit 2: a cow elk that same year provided 66 kg (was a nice young average size cow); a mulie doe gave 18 kg of meat. That same year I helped with a moose recovery and was given a rear leg, which provided 15 kg of trimmed and packed meat (it was young bull in his second year of life).

Last edited by fishnguy; 11-17-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Biggest deer does not always have biggest rack.. interesting method for sizing deer.
Yep. That first one was on a small side. The most meat one was significantly bigger in the rack department.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:29 PM

Was going to say 120lbs is a ton of meat off a WT buck lol
Old 11-17-2021, 01:31 PM

Haha. I bet I could get that much from the first one. That one was brute in the body. Wish I still had a pic.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:44 PM

There's some heft to that one, for sure! Nicely done!
Old 11-17-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief27 View Post
Growing up on the east coast, my family always asked what the deer weighs, I havent heard of someone weighing a deer since I moved out here. Makes me want to start weighing mine again before its skinned out. I always find it impressive how much the hide can weigh! Thanks for the post. Brought back some memories!
Growing up back east, no one had a clue what antler score meant, it was all about weight, skin on, no gut. My first and biggest deer weighted 240 lbs. and I got 104 lbs. of meat out of it. The year before, I jumped a big buck that ended up getting shot by the neighbor, 293 lbs. I noticed that alberta mature bucks have bigger antlers, but deer in the north east have bigger bodies.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:34 PM

Default deer weights

The largest deer to cross the scales in my butcher shop was a southern mule deer off the Red Deer river. Tipped the scale at 215 lbs. carcass only
Old 11-17-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
Growing up back east, no one had a clue what antler score meant, it was all about weight, skin on, no gut. My first and biggest deer weighted 240 lbs. and I got 104 lbs. of meat out of it. The year before, I jumped a big buck that ended up getting shot by the neighbor, 293 lbs. I noticed that alberta mature bucks have bigger antlers, but deer in the north east have bigger bodies.
Absolutely! People back home only care about the weight. Makes me wonder how many people have scales that size back home.

Not sure if it has changed in NB since, but I know after a moose was harvested you had to take it to department of natural resources for it to be weighed and recorded, it's been 10 years since I lived there, but that's how I recall it.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
The largest deer to cross the scales in my butcher shop was a southern mule deer off the Red Deer river. Tipped the scale at 215 lbs. carcass only
Where I grew up in East central Saskatchewan, the local butcher wrote the heaviest deer weights on the wall, the heaviest whitetail was 206lbs.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
The first buck I ever shot I couldn’t load into the vehicle by myself. When my cousin came to help, we struggled but managed to do so. The buck was gutted. I never weighed him and don’t know ho much meat I got from him.

Later, I started weighing all meat that I wrapped (I have a spreadsheet, lol). Since then, the most I got from a whitetail was 52kg of trimmed and wrapped meat. That wasn’t a giant buck either, I could handle it on my own. Couldn’t even compare to the first. I haven’t shot anything like the first one again.

Edit:

Correction: checked the spreadsheet and it is 42 kg, not 52. Sorry.

Edit 2: a cow elk that same year provided 66 kg (was a nice young average size cow); a mulie doe gave 18 kg of meat. That same year I helped with a moose recovery and was given a rear leg, which provided 15 kg of trimmed and packed meat (it was young bull in his second year of life).
92 lbs of meat in your freezer from one deer is a big deer. The most I've recovered was just over 65 returned from the butcher. That must've been a hog of a deer.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Where I grew up in East central Saskatchewan, the local butcher wrote the heaviest deer weights on the wall, the heaviest whitetail was 206lbs.

A Saskie? Wow. I never would have suspected that. East Central like Wynyard? Foam Lake? Canora? I think I've pretty much been in every town in Sask at one time or the other.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:21 PM

I am in NB

Big buck contest in my local region- based on weight only
Always a few over 200 - and a couple over 220 every year

Al properly field dressed and checked /weighed at same spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
92 lbs of meat in your freezer from one deer is a big deer. The most I've recovered was just over 65 returned from the butcher. That must've been a hog of a deer.
I boned out my deer on Saturday and I guessed the weight to be around 200, maybe plus a few. I got 61 pounds of boneless meat.
Old 11-17-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFitter View Post
Not sure. I don’t think he was all that big. Maybe I always compare them to that first buck I shot that I mentioned above. That one sure was big.

^ I weigh every package I wrap and record the weight on the package and paper, then transfer to the spreadsheet and sum up the numbers (maybe crazy, but that’s what I do, lol).

Other bucks I did the same to were under 40kg, probably 30-35kg range, I would say.

A moose calf I shot a few years ago came to about 19kg, if I recall correctly. Elk range from high sixties for cows to mid nineties for bulls. Does usually come in under 20kg. These are off the top of my head.

This is all deboned, cleanly processed meat, ready to cook.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:46 PM

My son shot a 5x5 whitetail on the 5th and brought it in to the butcher deboned. 76 lbs of trim and 11 pounds destined for jerky. Kept the back straps at home so 90ish pounds net. Was a bigger than average deer I thought
Old 11-17-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
A Saskie? Wow. I never would have suspected that. East Central like Wynyard? Foam Lake? Canora? I think I've pretty much been in every town in Sask at one time or the other.
Northern sask= Big Body
Old 11-17-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Northern sask= Big Body

Biggest going imo. Meadow Lake and south has some bruisers.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Northern sask= Big Body
Thats a beauty!
Old 11-19-2021, 08:17 AM

Never weighed a deer with the head and hide on, but I did weigh more than a few all skinned out and ready for processing.
Any whitetail buck the crossed the 150 pound mark all undressed, legs cut off at the “knees” was big honking deer. I think our heaviest was in the mid 150’s.

Then we had the scale flip off the cheesy S hook it came with and it’s no more…… we just keep shooting and processing, it was fun while it lasted.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-19-2021, 09:55 AM

Our wildlife branch has a trophy for heaviest field dressed deer. There is always several deer in the 200 to 300 range. Once in a while one is over 300.
Old 11-19-2021, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Our wildlife branch has a trophy for heaviest field dressed deer. There is always several deer in the 200 to 300 range. Once in a while one is over 300.
Uh huh
🙄
Old 11-19-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I don’t weigh any deer but I am pretty sure I have dragged/pack a few that were easily in that same bracket if not more.

If they weren’t they sure felt like it at least

Oh and nice buck
Ditto, I sort of have my own way of weighing them. Me and my wife can get about a 200 lb deer, or a calf elk hanging with a bit of elbow grease, if I need to use the come-along its probably surpassed that mark.

A friend of mine shot a buck that nearly brought his shed down trying to hang it, at the time it was the heavyest buck I'd ever seen and I still remember it as such... but we did get it hanging and I doubt he's any stronger than my wife. This buck felt pretty heavy on the way out, me and a neighbor could not get its rear end even an inch or two off the ground, I had to go find the come-along.

IMG_5692 (2) by , on Flickr

Last edited by Bushleague; 11-19-2021 at 11:18 AM.