Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Too bad there isn’t a wild game meat cutting course you could take. A good butcher could probably make some great pocket money going around doing weekend courses like that.
Olds College have a one day course. They also have a one day sausage course. You can find information about them on their website.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:11 AM
Banned

Default Do it yourself, It's fun!

I purchased this 5 DVD set of butchering and sausage-making tutorials from Outdoor Edge years ago. Fun to watch and if you follow their instructions, you will never need to hire a butcher again and you will save a ton of $$$

Costs me 1 24 of beer to do a moose and one assistant. We start drinking when we start butchering and are done by the time to beer is gone.

Steaks, roasts, burger, everything you get from a butcher. I am kind of fussy and do not like the idea of anyone handling my game.

Cheers N40

Old 11-20-2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilgy View Post
I'm assuming this butcher is in Ft mac based on your listed location. Too bad. This is exactly the type of guy I've been looking for. I think a guy could learn alot from being there watching a butcher do his work and helping out where needed.

On that note if anyone has a contact like this in the Red Deer/Central Alberta area please pass it on.

Thanks
Hilgy
I seen an ad on Either Facebook or Kijiji the other day a guy from Reddeer advertising that service.

Just checked it’s on Facebook market place. “Wild game processing”
Old 11-20-2021, 02:23 PM

I like to do my own,its part of being a hunter.However if you want to use a butcher that's fine,like everything else there are good ones and bad ones. Try and find someone who has had a Moose done by the one you use,oh and ask to see his or hers shop.

I have cut up dozens of Moose(I worked in a meat cutting shop part time) its the most difficult game to cut,tends to be moist and sticky.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:23 AM

You are lucky that you found somebody to process your moose, around here he butchers are so busy with domestic, they won't take any whole game carcass. If butchers would charge what mechanics or electricians do, it would be way more expensive...
Old 11-23-2021, 07:33 PM

Anything bigger than a deer goes to the butcher for me mostly because I find they do a better job and know exactly what makes steaks , roast and burgers . My deer butchering is getting better but still not at a profesional level .
Old 11-23-2021, 08:06 PM

Last year when we quit doing it we charged .90 cents a lb hanging weight cut and wrapped. Plus disposal fee. Just like everything else costs have become crazy.. Wrapping approx 20-25% in the last few years.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 11-23-2021, 08:11 PM

Like someone mentioned earlier YouTube has some good pretty tutorials. Checkout the Bearded Butchers on Youtube. They show how to process from field to table deer, elk and bison as well as domestic animals. Explain various methods bone in or out and the cuts of meat. They also have tutorials on processing the trim into products such as jerky - whole muscle and ground, sausages and even weiners from wild game.