Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Well ain’t you a peach. Forgot just how smart you are.
Well considering many people, including you, recommended and actually use binoculars under $400, I don't understand the name calling.

The OP wanted a recommendation for binoculars under $400 not a lecture on why he should break the bank for something he doesn't want or need.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I was under the impression that this thread was about
A person's choice of binoculars in the $400 range not personal ethics on what a person should be shooting when it comes to deer .
Cat
I was under that impression too and was not the one that went off on a tangent suggesting that it was somehow ethically superior to use high end optics when stalking the elusive spike horn.

I recommended Bushnell Legend HD like the ones I use or used Bushnell Elites if you are lucky enough to find a pair.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:02 AM

Default Binoculars

Nikon
Old 11-13-2021, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I was under that impression too and was not the one that went off on a tangent suggesting that it was somehow ethically superior to use high end optics when stalking the elusive spike horn.

I recommended Bushnell Legend HD like the ones I use or used Bushnell Elites if you are lucky enough to find a pair.
I have been using a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8- 32's thd last few days because I loaned my Leicas to a good friend who is on an extended hunt this week.
As far as quality goes they a nowhere near comparable to the Geovids, but they are small and work well enough to discern small details at 200 yards in the very morning light .
I am not sure what they cost however .
Cat
Old 11-13-2021, 07:08 AM
Banned

I purchased my Vortex Diamondback 8x42 back in 2016 at Wholesale Sports on Boxing day for $280.00ish (well under $400.00), they were discounted by $150.00. For that type of hunting I do, they are perfect. Shock and Waterproof with decent glass, they are awesome especially for the price I paid.

I always buy expensive stuff on Boxing Day and have saved a ton of $$$ over the years buying that way.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:10 AM

Some very good replies . Thanks everyone and keep them coming.
If I was only younger ,and had the bank account that I do now I would be buying a higher end set around $1500- $3000.
But I am retired now and guess what after 45 years of hunting I have hung up my guns on deer and sheep hunts . As we get older it is more about the meat and getting out with the friends,which is 1 weeks a year for moose . I think the next time I get drawn for moose will be 7 years from now . Taking off today for a week to help one of my other retired buddies to fill his moose tag so he can wait 7 years . Getting old SUCKS ,knowing that i only have one more moose i can get drawn for .
I did go down to Cabelas and look at all the brands under $500. Looking threw them in the store was not ideal . The vortex fit the best . And they focused the fastest. All the other brands had a very fine line to get on focus. If I turned the nob just a little to much it was out of focus .
Have to go back a second time to go look at some higher end models when the wife is not with me .
I am starting to think 8x42 might be the power to get .
Any thought ?
Old 11-13-2021, 07:17 AM
Banned

-JR-

I just did a quick search on Cabelas, the Diamondbacks 12x50 are selling for $399.99, one cent under $400.00 lol

Would be the pair I purchase and I would wait until Boxing Day of course

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13172...lars-wglasspak
Old 11-13-2021, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Well considering many people, including you, recommended and actually use binoculars under $400, I don't understand the name calling.

The OP wanted a recommendation for binoculars under $400 not a lecture on why he should break the bank for something he doesn't want or need.
Fishnguy, and any other members have a standing offer to take my $460 Maven C1s binos for a whirl anytime cuz they ain’t in stores, and I think they offer damn good value. My comment was directed toward your complete and unwarranted ignorance toward others. Feel free to report my comment if you like, but it’s guys like you that pour cold water on discussions, and ensure that this forum has 2 guests for every member at any given time.

Last edited by sns2; 11-13-2021 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:40 AM

I have looked at all the $400 ish binos that Cabela’s has carried in the last coupe years. To my eye, and that is obviously subjective, the Maven C1s were slightly better than the Nikon Monarchs, and slightly worse than the Zein’s Conquests that I tried for giggles. I had the opportunity last year on a goose hunt to compare them to a set of Swaros. Not in the same league obviously, but for what I do they are just fine.

To all you guys like me who choose to use $400 binos… ROCK ON
Old 11-13-2021, 07:40 AM

I have looked at all the $400 ish binos that Cabela’s has carried in the last couple years. To my eye, and that is obviously subjective, the Maven C1s were slightly better than the Nikon Monarchs, and slightly worse than the Zeiss Conquests that I tried for giggles. I had the opportunity last year on a goose hunt to compare them to a set of Swaros. Not in the same league obviously, but for what I do they are just fine.

To all you guys like me who choose to use $400 binos… ROCK ON
Old 11-13-2021, 07:41 AM

I see Amazon has Nikons on sale for Black Friday
Old 11-13-2021, 07:42 AM

I wasn’t double posting for emphasis, just trying to correct a spelling error. LOL
Old 11-13-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Lots of ignorant cusses in this thread when there is absolutely zero reason for it. Some of you need booze, weed or a woman. Some of you need all three.

Sheesh
Yah and some need to grow a thicker layer of skin.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
So True agreed .
Old 11-13-2021, 11:30 AM

Burris at several Canadian Tire stores.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
When you’ve spent a few years moderating, and read all the pms from people who say they won’t post because they do not feel like getting jumped on by ignorant cusses, then get back to me. Until then, you are welcome to your opinion, as much as I am mine.

When I am purposely ignorant to someone feel free to let me have it.

BTW, who were you before you got banned?
Old 11-14-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Some very good replies . Thanks everyone and keep them coming.
If I was only younger ,and had the bank account that I do now I would be buying a higher end set around $1500- $3000.
But I am retired now and guess what after 45 years of hunting I have hung up my guns on deer and sheep hunts . As we get older it is more about the meat and getting out with the friends,which is 1 weeks a year for moose . I think the next time I get drawn for moose will be 7 years from now . Taking off today for a week to help one of my other retired buddies to fill his moose tag so he can wait 7 years . Getting old SUCKS ,knowing that i only have one more moose i can get drawn for .
I did go down to Cabelas and look at all the brands under $500. Looking threw them in the store was not ideal . The vortex fit the best . And they focused the fastest. All the other brands had a very fine line to get on focus. If I turned the nob just a little to much it was out of focus .

Have to go back a second time to go look at some higher end models when the wife is not with me .
I am starting to think 8x42 might be the power to get .
Any thought ?
8x42 are a great size,a little more eye relief,little brighter and the view is easier to hold steady than say a pair of 10x42. All really subtle differences. If your in the store looking through them try focusing on something that is printed( newspaper or packaging on product) . One store had some printing in a dark corner that you could look at with binoculars, the difference between binos was eye opening. Good luck with your search. For the record I've gone through multiple inexpensive binos, fogging,loose prisms were some of the issues. Get the best you can afford and read some reviews .
Old 11-14-2021, 07:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Lots of ignorant cusses in this thread when there is absolutely zero reason for it. Some of you need booze, weed or a woman. Some of you need all three.

Sheesh
Now this made me laugh and I thank you.

I got a pair of Bausch & Lomb Legacy Binoculars Field 8x40 WA....gifted to me 30 years ago and I use them hunting, fishing basically all the time when out and about.

Maybe that is the route to go as you don’t need to buy over the counter brand new and save some cash too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...

Last edited by 58thecat; 11-14-2021 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
When you’ve spent a few years moderating, and read all the pms from people who say they won’t post because they do not feel like getting jumped on by ignorant cusses, then get back to me. Until then, you are welcome to your opinion, as much as I am mine.

When I am purposely ignorant to someone feel free to let me have it.

BTW, who were you before you got banned?
I am just me. I have NEVER been banned. I respect my fellow man.
No need to be bashing each other. You have tuned people over a binocular thread which is actually amusing.
Lets move on......just read about your dog and hope he makes a healthy recovery.
Old 11-14-2021, 01:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Nikon akulon a211
10-22x50

https://www.amazon.ca/Nikon-ACULON-1...6921780&sr=8-3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
I would much rather prefer to have a high-end Range Finder like a Leica Rangemaster CRF 1000-R Laser Rangefinder and a high-end scope and an inexpensive pair of Binos, than having an expensive pair of binos with a cheap range finder and an average scope.
I've thought about unloading my sig bdx 3000 binos in exchange for a great standalone RF and good binos, some times its easier to whip out the handheld RF fot a quick look than to always use binos, especially bow hunting
Old 11-14-2021, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtShooter View Post
I've thought about unloading my sig bdx 3000 binos in exchange for a great standalone RF and good binos, some times its easier to whip out the handheld RF fot a quick look than to always use binos, especially bow hunting
No doubt about that!

When it comes to bow hunting you want a really good RF, and small pocket size binos work well.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:22 AM

Guy at work bought the vortex 10x50 hds from Amazon for 350 brought them in for me to see, they are amazing for that price will be my next purchase
Old 11-15-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
About 5 years ago I got my first set of binos, Vortex Diamond Bakcs. Used them for a couple years. They seemed “ok”. They always fogged up. Just “ok”.

3 years ago I got some Nikon Monarch 7s. About $700. Big upgrade. Clearer, don’t fog up and nice quality.

Last year I needed to get my son a 12th Bday gift and put it off till the day before, so I went to Canadian Tire and picked up some Huntshield 8x42’s for him for 1/2 price ($99). They are made surprisingly well and are quite robust.

2 years later and I hate to admit it but I don’t know if I’d ever spend $2k on binos. I always thought when I could afford it I would drop the money until I put these cheap hunt shield against my Nikons and my Friends Vortex Razor HDs. There was BARELY a difference. We spent several evening glassing well past last light and there was NO discernible difference between the $99 binos and the $1500 binos. If I found those same Hunt shields on sale in a 10x42 I’d buy them in a second.

I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t do these tests with my own eyes. I really wanted the expensive binos to way way better but, at least to my eyes and my friends, the difference was marginal at best.

I also have a pot of prostaff 5s in 8x32 and they aren’t great. It seems your eye lashes touch the glass and overall they are a pain to use.

That is my experience over my first 5 years of hunting.
I've had similar experiences with my Vortex D-back 10x50's vs a friend's Sworo EL Range 8x42's. We've spent many hours (100's of hours) glassing together and I'd say there's no difference between who spots more deer, elk, bears, coyotes. We hunt big hilly landscapes where we're glassing up animals out to 3 KMs away. I've tried the Sworo's in the field and honestly couldn't see a measurable difference.

Unless you're a sheep hunter (maybe) if you can't spot it with $400 bino's, throwing more money at it won't fix the problem!

Now a spotting scope is a whole different thing.... That's where you spend your money. My D-Back spotter vs Sworo, hands down Sworo all day long! For clarity and crispness on the edges. Quality spotter makes a huge difference.
Old 11-15-2021, 12:37 PM

I have said this on many other Bino threads. I use a Leica 7x24 CRF 2000 as both a range finder and my main set of optics. The Leica range finder has far better optics than the vast majority of cheaper binoculars so serves as a top notch range finder and great glass both. It weighs very little and fits in your shirt pocket. You can easily find them in your price range, even brand new they are only $600.

If you really think you need the added weight of Binos, look at a target at 300 yards, focus, now close your non-dominant eye. Does the view change at all or even a little bit. For most people 90% of what they see through Binos is from the dominant eye. The second barrel is useless weight. That extra bulk and weight just makes them harder to hold steady. It is the reason many can see so much better using a spotting scope.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:06 PM

I was running Leupold Mojave BX-3 for the past 4 years and have been fairly happy with them. I think I paid 400-450 on a really good sale at Cabelas.

I just recently bought a used pair (though they look new) of Ziess Conquest HD 10x42. They retail new for $1500 but I didn't pay near that much.

During regular day light you really can't tell a lick of different. But just before and after legal light, I can now scan the field and see what's out there. I am not judging an animal in the darkness, but I can definitely make out body size and whether it is has significant antlers. I probably can't confidently distinguish a spike and doe, but I not shooting until I have sufficient light anyways.

I'm also in the camp that my bino's need to be the best glass I have. Both my rifle wear Nikon Prostaff 5 scopes which work perfectly fine for the distance and lighting condition I am comfortable shooting at.

But if I was buying new bino's today in the $400 range, based on all the reviews I have read on hunting and bird watching forums, I would go with the Mavens.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have said this on many other Bino threads. I use a Leica 7x24 CRF 2000 as both a range finder and my main set of optics. The Leica range finder has far better optics than the vast majority of cheaper binoculars so serves as a top notch range finder and great glass both. It weighs very little and fits in your shirt pocket. You can easily find them in your price range, even brand new they are only $600.

If you really think you need the added weight of Binos, look at a target at 300 yards, focus, now close your non-dominant eye. Does the view change at all or even a little bit. For most people 90% of what they see through Binos is from the dominant eye. The second barrel is useless weight. That extra bulk and weight just makes them harder to hold steady. It is the reason many can see so much better using a spotting scope.

This is what I use. The glass is clear and they are small. You can also sit and range distances while you are waiting.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I'm old school I guess, but the Bushnell Legend 10x42 that I picked up more than 10 years ago are still going strong. Not sure of the prices of them now, but I paid $240 back then and they compare (for my eyes) to anything else out there that I've had the chance to look through.

My brother and SIL both have Vortex and my Bushnells are as good in any condition and 1/2 the price. I can't complain - and no one would listen anyway.

So many people are going to shoot me down for mentioning Bushnell, but they are an option as well.

J.

Not me, I'm a Bushnell man and they've never disappointed me on a warranty on the rare occasion I needed it. Excellent quality for the price, we can't all afford Euroglass .

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-23-2021, 07:37 AM

Maven C1 10x42 are on sale starting Thursday, @ 25 % off. That's what i'd be going with but it sounded like you might be leaning more toward an 8 power. If that's the case and you'd prefer to look through them first i'd wait for a sale on some Nikon Monarch 5's.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:57 AM

About ten years ago I bought my son a pair of Vortex Diamondbacks 10 x 50 binoculars. They have been good for him. Last year my binos were stolen from the truck and I had to buy new ones. I looked at a lot of binos in the S400 range. At 70 I am not steady enough for ten power binos. I ended up buying the Maven 8 x 40 without looking through them. I am happy with them. I think the Mavens are easier to look through than the Monarch 5. I sometimes wish that I had ten power when trying to see how many points an animal has but the Maven's are very easy on the eyes to look through for longer periods of time.