Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2021, 08:49 AM

The great bino debate lol

You really need to buy what fits your style of hunting. There is a big difference between what you need for open country and bush hunting for example. I always carry binoculars in the bush but very rare I even need them because the animals are close enough to see with my own eyes. I carry 10x42 vortex vipers which are over kill for bush hunting and really I have them for when I see something traveling for the most part

I use the same binoculars in open country but pair them with a spotting scope

As for expensive glass love it for long range spotting and swear by it for mountain hunting. But the average hunter doesn’t need it for the distance they glass and even less important if they are not try to judge the quality of the animals because they are meat hunting

My advice go test out some glass in your price range and see what fits your personal needs. Take a look through the high end glass and see if you feel it’s worth spoiling yourself
Old 11-11-2021, 09:04 AM
Banned

I use my binos just as much in the bush as in open country. Too many times ive looked at something, wondered if it was a moose or a deer, tried to get closer, and it runs away lol Or be looking at a doe, and there is a buck beside it that's partially hidden by a tree or bush.

I use my binos constantly all the time
Old 11-11-2021, 09:05 AM

I have the Vortex Diamondbacks, they work pretty well for what I use them for. If you're spending a lot of time sitting and glassing you might want to step up to the vipers or a different higher end model.

When I demo'd the Diamondbacks I also had tried the Cabelas version that was comparable. I actually thought the glass in the Cabelas brand was slightly better and they were quite a bit cheaper than the Vortex type. Since I'm really rough with my gear I went with Vortex as I wanted the lifetime warranty that comes with them.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I use my binos just as much in the bush as in open country. Too many times ive looked at something, wondered if it was a moose or a deer, tried to get closer, and it runs away lol Or be looking at a doe, and there is a buck beside it that's partially hidden by a tree or bush.

I am probably tighter quarters bush hunting then you are thinking. Most animals are within 30yards or less before it’s possible to see them glass or not. Most are located by hearing them well before seeing

Again style of hunting plays a role on what is worthwhile for glass
Old 11-11-2021, 09:21 AM

Just buy vortex. Their warranty is unmatched. Even if you drive over your binos, they will replace them
Old 11-11-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
This could not be any further from the truth

You obviously don’t know what your talking about
Of course I don’t. I said above, I bought a Zeiss and returned it a few days later because I couldn’t justify the price difference for the “viewing” difference. I also said if I was hunting, say, in the mountains, I might have thought differently, can’t say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
While the $400 pair may let you identify an animal as a deer or elk, or a moose, the much better binoculars may let you make out the antlers clearly, to determine if an animal is legal in the wmu.
I agree. But the guy said he cannot id an animal or find it all together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
This is totally incorrect. I hunt in an area with antler point restrictions and for that you need premium optics.
See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Wrong.
Expensive , Yes. But a pair of Swaro's , Leica , Zeiss make a world of difference.
I ran Leica BA 8 x 42 for 20 years and worth every cent.
Don’t think it is wrong. Tried Zeiss for binos and didn’t think there was sufficient difference to justify the difference in price. I do have an over $3K scope on one of my rifles.

Quote:

I use my binoculars all the time too. I can easily distinguish moose from a deer, most of the time before looking through binoculars even if it is far away. Sometimes I can’t distinguish a stump from a deer, but binoculars always help in such cases.

Anyway, I respect all of your opinions. I do disagree with the statement that was made. You can disagree with mine and think I have no clue, that’s fine too. I usually don’t talk when I don’t know what I am talking about, but it is ok think that I do. I am cool with that. The post was meant to show that this is not the case for everybody. I mean no one even knows what the op is going to use them for and how he hunts. The price of optics does not make a go/don’t go difference. So again, respectfully, disagree. Will probably go hunting today with my $300 or whatever it was binoculars and $700 or whatever it was scope on my $1,200 or whatever it was rifle. Hopefully, y’all won’t see me on the news as a guy who shot a small deer thinking it was a trophy moose
Old 11-11-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If you are in Edmonton area, shoot me a pm and you can take my Maven’s out at dusk for a whirl or even overnight. I offer because you can’t look at em in a store. If you steal em, then I got screwed doing something good for someone. On AO, I will take that risk. BTW, Amazon stocks em and you’d have em in a day or two.
Thank you for the offer and I just may take you up on it, BTW there is not 1 chance in a million that I would even consider running off with something that belongs to someone else

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
Just buy vortex. Even if you drive over your binos, they will replace them

Usually this happens on purpose.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Usually this happens on purpose.
lol
Would likely happen to scopes more often if they weren't attached to the rifle
Old 11-11-2021, 01:10 PM

If you are considering Mavens I believe they usually go on sale in late November. I bought mine last year on sale from Amazon.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:29 PM

Nothing wrong with $400 or less binoculars especially when you compare them to not having any binoculars at all. You can get adequate glass for that price and many people cannot tell them from much more expensive ones.

I won a set of bottom level 8 x40 Sightron porro prism binos at a shoot a few years ago. They didn't compare that badly to my 30 oyear old Swaros but they were pretty darn good. One could use them and not leave much on the table for general purpose hunting, other than some outside edge fuzziness which most folks don't notice as most focus on the center of the field of view. I was doubly impressed when I looked them up on the internet and was surprised that they retailed for under $150.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Of course I don’t. I said above, I bought a Zeiss and returned it a few days later because I couldn’t justify the price difference for the “viewing” difference. I also said if I was hunting, say, in the mountains, I might have thought differently, can’t say.

See above.

Don’t think it is wrong. Tried Zeiss for binos and didn’t think there was sufficient difference to justify the difference in price. I do have an over $3K scope on one of my rifles.

I use my binoculars all the time too. I can easily distinguish moose from a deer, most of the time before looking through binoculars even if it is far away. Sometimes I can’t distinguish a stump from a deer, but binoculars always help in such cases.

Anyway, I respect all of your opinions. I do disagree with the statement that was made. You can disagree with mine and think I have no clue, that’s fine too. I usually don’t talk when I don’t know what I am talking about, but it is ok think that I do. I am cool with that. The post was meant to show that this is not the case for everybody. I mean no one even knows what the op is going to use them for and how he hunts. The price of optics does not make a go/don’t go difference. So again, respectfully, disagree. Will probably go hunting today with my $300 or whatever it was binoculars and $700 or whatever it was scope on my $1,200 or whatever it was rifle. Hopefully, y’all won’t see me on the news as a guy who shot a small deer thinking it was a trophy moose
So you’ll spend 3k on a scope, that you may use once per animal. But you won’t see the value in better binoculars. I can’t think of a single situation where better optics aren’t an advantage. Sorry I can think of one…. When I’m hunting ducks… to each their own 🤷*♂️
Old 11-12-2021, 03:09 AM

Quote:
So you’ll spend 3k on a scope, that you may use once per animal. But you won’t see the value in better binoculars. I can’t think of a single situation where better optics aren’t an advantage. Sorry I can think of one…. When I’m hunting ducks… to each their own 🤷*♂️
I spent less than that on that scope. Call it a “screaming deal”. Also, that once per animal is what counts if you want to go there, no?

No, I don’t see the value in better binoculars for my purpose. I tried, didn’t see it, so I returned it. There is no “go or don’t” difference. Someone suggested to wait and save more until he can afford top of the line. Bonkers, imo.

Never had I felt a disadvantage with what I carry. Ever. You can trust me on that (or not, doesn’t matter). In fact, I paid for my boots more than I did for my binos because I saw the value in that for my purpose.

I also never had a problem distinguishing a moose from a deer.

Not sure what you are trying to prove here, Mark. I said, I respect your opinion. We can also go hunting together doing what I do and I very much doubt the equipment you bring with you would play any role in your success whatsoever. Neither would it affect mine.

Really, what’s your point? The guy asked what are the best binos for $400. Clearly, he is not looking to spend more than that. Your first reply here was spot on. Rubbish afterwards.

Side note, what does this mean:

🤷*♂️
Old 11-12-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
To me IDing an animal includes determining if it is legal to shoot or not, that includes seeing small spikes to verify if it is antlered or antlerless, or being able to count points if there is a point restriction.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
To me IDing an animal includes determining if it is legal to shoot or not, that includes seeing small spikes to verify if it is antlered or antlerless, or being able to count points if there is a point restriction.
Exactly

Or a moose ear from a tree branch
There’s nothing wrong with using $400 binoculars
But they are not the same as a high end optic
Old 11-12-2021, 07:41 AM
Banned

Another vote for Vortex Diamondback.

Wait until Boxing Day to buy them, I saved $150.00 on the Boxing Day Sale!
Old 11-12-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Doubt many are shooting spikes with Swaros around their necks though

Quote:
Exactly

Or a moose ear from a tree branch
There’s nothing wrong with using $400 binoculars
But they are not the same as a high end optic
In my second (I think) post in this thread I said they aren’t the same. But is it a go or don’t difference? Of course not.

The op should buy whatever is on a better sale in that price range, if that is how much he is set on spending, but first look at the reviews, obviously. Look what people say on birders forums. Likely, you will find the advice going for ergonomics, weight, etc at this price range because glass will be more or less of the same quality. The same advice will probably be given for higher end optics as well: see what fits your eyes and whatnot better. Some will sware that Leica is where it’s at, others will choose Swarovski, yet some choose Zeiss. I wouldn’t bother too much with $400 binos. Nikon was on sale when I was looking, so I bought it. Worked out pretty well for me.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. Doubt many are shooting spikes with Swaros around their necks though
Some of us do draw antlerless tags, and we don't want to shoot a spike by mistake.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:59 PM

Just saw on Amazon 10x42 Nikon prostaffs for 129.99! Pretty good deal if you ask me.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Some of us do draw antlerless tags, and we don't want to shoot a spike by mistake.
I have spike in front of me right now and I can count his eye lashes with my 300 dollar Bushnell Legend. He is about the size of my female lab. Anyone that would shoot a button buck for a doe needs some hunter Ed. Yesterday I had two 1.5 year olds chasing a young doe around. I could see the spikes with my eye from 70 yards and I am half blind.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I have spike in front of me right now and I can count his eye lashes with my 300 dollar Bushnell Legend. He is about the size of my female lab. Anyone that would shoot a button buck for a doe needs some hunter Ed.
Don't forget though, antlerless tags include button bucks and does together.
Cat
Old 11-12-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I have spike in front of me right now and I can count his eye lashes with my 300 dollar Bushnell Legend. He is about the size of my female lab. Anyone that would shoot a button buck for a doe needs some hunter Ed. Yesterday I had two 1.5 year olds chasing a young doe around. I could see the spikes with my eye from 70 yards and I am half blind.
They aren't doe tags, they are antlerless tags, that are valid for any animal, male or female, that doesn't have an antler that exceeds 4" in length. And some people choose to shoot much farther than 70 yards. I have actually witnessed someone shoot a deer with one small spike , that he didn't see at first light at 200 yards, but he had both antlered and antlerless tags, so he was able to legally tag it. Having better optics is never a disadvantage, but it can be an advantage in certain conditions.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:14 PM
Banned

I would much rather prefer to have a high-end Range Finder like a Leica Rangemaster CRF 1000-R Laser Rangefinder and a high-end scope and an inexpensive pair of Binos, than having an expensive pair of binos with a cheap range finder and an average scope.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North40Rules View Post
I would much rather prefer to have a high-end Range Finder like a Leica Rangemaster CRF 1000-R Laser Rangefinder and a high-end scope and an inexpensive pair of Binos, than having an expensive pair of binos with a cheap range finder and an average scope.
I have several Freiinds who use only a range finder like the Leica or Zeiss and not use binoculars.
For their purposes they work well.
Cat
Old 11-12-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Thank you for the offer and I just may take you up on it, BTW there is not 1 chance in a million that I would even consider running off with something that belongs to someone else
You come to know peoples’ character pretty well on a forum after the years. I’d let you borrow my guns too with absolutely zero hesitation.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
They aren't doe tags, they are antlerless tags, that are valid for any animal, male or female, that doesn't have an antler that exceeds 4" in length. And some people choose to shoot much farther than 70 yards. I have actually witnessed someone shoot a deer with one small spike , that he didn't see at first light at 200 yards, but he had both antlered and antlerless tags, so he was able to legally tag it. Having better optics is never a disadvantage, but it can be an advantage in certain conditions.
Well if you are shooting a small spike 200 yards away at first light you certainly need all the help you can get. I stand corrected. I had no idea people were that desperate.

Generally I have at least one wander up to me everyday within spitting distance especially when they are separated from their momma during the rut.

303 Brit with peep sights and a little common sense will kill deer legally and ethically any day you feel like walking more than 20 yards.

If someone gave me a set of Swarovski, I would sell them and buy another shotgun. Don't want them and don't need them. It's just that simple.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Well if you are shooting a small spike 200 yards away at first light you certainly need all the help you can get. I stand corrected. I had no idea people were that desperate.

Generally I have at least one wander up to me everyday within spitting distance especially when they are separated from their momma during the rut.

303 Brit with peep sights and a little common sense will kill deer legally and ethically any day you feel like walking more than 20 yards.

If someone gave me a set of Swarovski, I would sell them and buy another shotgun. Don't want them and don't need them. It's just that simple.
Well ain’t you a peach. Forgot just how smart you are.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:10 PM

Lots of ignorant cusses in this thread when there is absolutely zero reason for it. Some of you need booze, weed or a woman. Some of you need all three.

Sheesh
Old 11-12-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:

I was under the impression that this thread was about
A person's choice of binoculars in the $400 range not personal ethics on what a person should be shooting when it comes to deer .
Cat
Old 11-12-2021, 10:08 PM

These threads are always funny. Kind of a salute to how spoiled we have become. OP is wanting a pair of binoculars within a budget. There are nice to haves and need to haves. A set in that $400 range will more than fulfill the need to have without going cross eyed or losing a bunch of detail and low light contrast. Many have thrown out some suggestions best thing to do is go and try a few.