Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2021, 02:14 PM

Default Antelope 2021

Haven't seen anything other than the draw results thread so here we go!

I probably could have gone on this hunt twice now but alas the first was fun. I had a 16 year priority and the build up was awesome. I drew my tag in 102/118…

For anyone hesitant to get out there and try this hunt, holding the tag cause you don't know how to do it - draw it an go. That being said, I think this would be an awesome hunt if you had two people with tags and go together as after the first one is down, it leaves you wanting to go find another one. (possibly bigger) I however went solo as hunting goes sometimes.

I took my fifth wheel down for this trip. Was not sure about hotels and the cvid bs so camping I went. (would do it again)

Foremost campground was awesome. Able to emt the town for payment of the site. They have full water and sewer hook ups. The grocery store where I got ice and a sandwich(grilled ham and cheese) were great people. The lady who drove the school bus had been keeping her eye on a couple big goats and was giving directions to them! She was also the cashier - gotta love small towns. When I grabbed the ice and sandwich she wanted to come see the goat - I got her approval that it was a nice one. Elkwater also had campgrounds that are open. They have an awesome general store, where they cook a mean chicken bacon wrap! The people that run the store are awesome to chat with and are excited for your success.

As daunting as it seemed, I had a few people talk about how crazy it is down there for the hunt. People driving around blasting, flying down the roads just truck hunting, landowners not giving permissions, land owners hiding and not answering phones, all around difficult... Blah... Blah... Blah... I found the opposite. Land owners were great people and genuinely wanted to see you succeed. The lease holders were fine, one grumpy lady but she had what it looked like 200 quarters down there to hunt on. She said there's a line up for them antelope and good luck to me... I said with the 200 quarters I'm sure I'll find something. And then I signed the book and the next guy behind me started the process with her as well.

Scouted Sunday all day. Drove the two zones and walked a bunch of the lease land and milk river. I found goats and deer and grouse and Huns, and coyotes and badgers and foxes, eagle's. Saw about 10 different hunting groups and the same people 4 times. I gotta say it was a massive area with plenty of game to chase! After finding several speed goats and got permission to pursue them, I had my heart set on a really nice looking "classic" Antelope. He wasn't the biggest but for my first one, I was hoping he would be close the next morning.

The next morning was exciting, watching the vehicles filter out to the area they wanted to get to, a small sense of panic sets in and you wonder if anyone is going after the same animal you are? Then as they all turn different directions into different zones a calmness comes over and you just think, there's plenty of animals for everyone and if this one doesn't work out, I'll find another one.

Locating my buck at day break was a challenge, he wasn't where I left him. In fact he was 3 quarters away, and then losing him in a massive field was mind blowing! With a few dips and rolls in the field they definitely have that in their favor. I thought there was no way he could slip passed me. Sure enough, 25 min later, I circled around and found him another quarter and a half away, where I first found him, heading to water the day before. After a 10 min walk in I got between a rock pile and him. Waiting was the hardest - knowing he was on his trail to me, 431 yards, then 380, then 260, then disappeared down a dip in the field and then cresting a hill at 80 yards. All that practice at 500 paid off that's for sure. The 270 barked and just like that - 16 years of waiting was done. I'm no antelope hunter, but to me, he's a beauty! I could have done more research and tried to find a bigger one, but for the first time, I'm super pumped and this ones coming home with me.

Measurements so far are 71 inch Antelope.

I took the pics myself, sometimes that's the hardest part of solo hunting. If you are trying to find a way to take the pics and have no one with you - I set up my phone on my pack and then use the video function and then pose with the animal. After I stop the recording, I then take screen shots of the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2021, 02:19 PM

Congrats on your buck!
Old 10-19-2021, 02:29 PM

Congrats. Nice buck. Enjoyed the story. They are a fun animal to hunt, one of my favorite.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:30 PM

Great job! Congratulations! I can't wait to get my antelope draw!
Thanks for sharing!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 10-19-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:33 PM

Sounds like you had a great adventure with a successful ending!! Congrats on a great buck! You will remember this hunt for years as it will be years before you do it again!
Old 10-19-2021, 03:13 PM

Congrats and great write up! Nice looking Antelope. I'm sitting at priority 12 and just may have to give this a go next year after reading this
Old 10-19-2021, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Congrats on your buck!

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinFwt View Post
Congrats. Nice buck. Enjoyed the story. They are a fun animal to hunt, one of my favorite.

They are now on a list of things I will do again. Like I said - would be great to go with a buddy with a tag as well and spend the week stalking and searching for them. See it again in 9 years...

Old 10-19-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Great job! Congratulations! I can't wait to get my antelope draw!
Thanks for sharing!

Awesome!!

Old 10-19-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
Sounds like you had a great adventure with a successful ending!! Congrats on a great buck! You will remember this hunt for years as it will be years before you do it again!

Exactly! Hopefully only 9 years... However I'll get to take my kids as they are 2,4,6 years ahead of me now!! And my dad says I get to take him next year....

Old 10-19-2021, 03:49 PM

Good on you!! Congrats! On a fine animal and hunting trip!
Old 10-19-2021, 03:50 PM

Wonderful buck you scored yourself. My Dad and I hunted them down in the Foremost/Milk River area back in 1979, I think it was. We stayed right in Foremost at a little hotel with a small restaurant. Not too sure whether it is still there though That was a while back yet I remember how magical it was for me at 14. Owly father, not so memorable
Being from out west I had never seen so much wide open land or a Pronghorn.

Anhoo, sorry to derail. Very happy for you.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Congrats and great write up! Nice looking Antelope. I'm sitting at priority 12 and just may have to give this a go next year after reading this

Do it!! It's not what people build it up as. Lots of great people out there willing to help out down there and literally if you take the two days before and get some permission - you'll get after a goat.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Good on you!! Congrats! On a fine animal and hunting trip!

thanks! Was hoping to see some more posts in the thread of success. Seen a few others with goats when we got back to town.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
Wonderful buck you scored yourself. My Dad and I hunted them down in the Foremost/Milk River area back in 1979, I think it was. We stayed right in Foremost at a little hotel with a small restaurant. Not too sure whether it is still there though That was a while back yet I remember how magical it was for me at 14. Owly father, not so memorable
Being from out west I had never seen so much wide open land or a Pronghorn.

Anhoo, sorry to derail. Very happy for you.

Nice... Vast then.. Vast now.. As the sign says..

"where the deer and the antelope play"

Old 10-19-2021, 03:54 PM

Great goat, nothing wrong with him at all, I have taken 4 over the years down there, the last one was in 2019 and before that 2005 so 14 years to get drawn, my goal now is to live long enough to get another tag if it takes as long as the last one I'll be 82

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:46 PM

Nice antelope, looks like you had a fun trip
Old 10-19-2021, 04:59 PM

Great write up and great pictures! Congrats on a beautiful antelope!

Such a fun hunt and always nice to hear the positive side of landowner relations making a really great hunting experience.

DR

Old 10-19-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Great goat, nothing wrong with him at all, I have taken 4 over the years down there, the last one was in 2019 and before that 2005 so 14 years to get drawn, my goal now is to live long enough to get another tag if it takes as long as the last one I'll be 82

I'm hoping for you... One day soon again. Then we get to chase them forever.

Old 10-19-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Nice antelope, looks like you had a fun trip

That's the goal every year. Get a trip in that you remember forever.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:30 PM

Nice job! I got mine today in 104. Super fun hunt
Old 10-19-2021, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskwhitey View Post
Nice job! I got mine today in 104. Super fun hunt

Awesome. My neighbor at the campsite got one on Monday as well. We had a beer to commemorate his oldest boys goat. Similar stories, but now we wait a decade to pull the trigger again!

Old 10-19-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneOutdoors View Post
I took the pics myself, sometimes that's the hardest part of solo hunting. If you are trying to find a way to take the pics and have no one with you - I set up my phone on my pack and then use the video function and then pose with the animal. After I stop the recording, I then take screen shots of the video.

You do realize you have a timer on your regular camera on an iPhone right?
Old 10-19-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Great write up and great pictures! Congrats on a beautiful antelope!

Such a fun hunt and always nice to hear the positive side of landowner relations making a really great hunting experience.

DR

Thanks DR - no one talks about the good ones. All you ever hear is the bad ones. For every one bad one there are 100 good ones! Just like poor service at anywhere you get anything fixed or built... Spread the news about the bad one but the good ones never get the admiration they deserve.

I took the land owner where I shot my goat a jar of my wife's home made Saskatoon jam... I'd kill for this stuff. He was an old timer and I don't see many Saskatoon trees let alone trees period. I think he thought I was crazy giving him gold like that. Also have him a ring of elk sausage that Victoria's fancy sausage made up for me. He says he's never had elk before.. I call that a win.

Old 10-19-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
You do realize you have a timer on your regular camera on an iPhone right?

You know you have to get up and set it every time you want one pic. ... Just let the video roll and change poses then pick the good ones frame by frame...

Old 10-19-2021, 06:55 PM

Way to go. Great pictures , story and great goat. Class act giving the landowner a token of thanks ! That goes a long ways.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
Way to go. Great pictures , story and great goat. Class act giving the landowner a token of thanks ! That goes a long ways.

Thanks Ackleyman... Hopefully it's a pay it forward for the next guys that come asking for permission.

Old 10-19-2021, 07:41 PM

Nice buck ,looks bigger than 71 to me ...congrats .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Nice buck ,looks bigger than 71 to me ...congrats .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Thanks H380...

Old 10-19-2021, 09:14 PM

Great Buck!!!!