Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 01:25 PM

Default Has this happened to you before?

I'm just 68 yrs old and not totally out of the game yet I think, but about a week ago I decided to break out my old rototiller and work up the gardens, my old tiller is a beast but I got it done..The next morning however when I got out of bed I could hardly walk and my left shoulder felt like it was dislocated and my right shoulder wasn't much better,I decided to take some ibuprofen 200 mgs, and see what happens, the next day my right shoulder was much better but the left was not easy to move and with excruciating pain.My legs at this point were not great, I could walk but very slowly, I decided that I needed to exercise them so I went for a walk about a mile at the end I was tired ,that night was the worst ,I thought that I wouldn't walk again without a cane or crutches I took ibuprofen again twice during the night and the next day I felt much better and got up and made breakfast and hobbled around although slowly..Today I'm feeling better but I still have trouble sitting and getting up again, I almost plop down in a chair and struggle to stand again.I hope this passes soon I would like some normalcy again. Maybe I should be taking some kind of vitamin I'm not sure as there are so many products tho choose from. One thing is for sure ,,no more rototilling for me. If something like this has happened to you I would like to know about your experience or if someone has any helpful information I would appreciate your imput,thanks and take care ,,David.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:34 PM

Getting old really really sucks.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:35 PM

Stretch it out. I attribute most of my discomforts to a lack of stretching.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:46 PM

Sounds like you may of just over-done it for a day? Rest, relax, and take er easy next time. I am not quite your age but as I enter mid aged burnout I find it easier to wreck myself physically. Stuff like raking leaves, shoveling snow, or a intense workout seems to hit me harder than my 20's. The day after I hop out of bed a feel like an old man as I shuffle across the floor.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:50 PM

NBR--Normal Body Rot. Bucked up a few logs last week, don't remember the saw weighing that much and was reaching for the ibuprofen with a rum chaser and a hot shower but for the most part no broken body parts. I find pacing myself works, as it all doesn't have to be done in a day.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:50 PM

When anything like that happens to me >> I leave it alone..take hot bath, relax, let the body
do it's healing thing, etc.

I tried all the 'stretch it out, work it, exercise it' stuff, results were always worse off after. Just leave
it alone for 2-4 days, take vit c, calcium, fish oil things and see where you are at then is my recommend.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:14 PM

^^^ This.
Vitamin C or fresh fruit, Calcium or milk, some Vitamin D.
And lots of water. I know if I am not getting enough water my joints start to seize up. That's the first sign and it's downhill from there if I don't address it.
Old 05-02-2021, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
Getting old really really sucks.
but it still beats hell outta the alternative
Old 05-02-2021, 02:26 PM
Banned

You’re normal.
Just hit 67.
I’ve got the mind and ambition of a 30 year old...the body however just won’t cooperate 😂
Old 05-02-2021, 02:43 PM

Water and more water. When you feel your getting tired doing a project , rototilling or whatever , shut her down so yuh see tomorrow. [ 68 ]
Old 05-02-2021, 03:22 PM

I am almost 84 went through that finally hit on a exercise plan as long as I do them most every day take the dog for a mile walk things work much better.
Just light work out stretching and a good diet of fruit veggies take it easy on the red meat cutting down on the meat BBQ is tough.
Asmentioned water is a must have.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Forty Creek

And when you plop down like that try to think of things you could do while you're there. You have to get up anyway, may as well make the most of it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-02-2021, 06:19 PM

Bringing a little levity to aging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uta1gEdkUtU

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-02-2021, 06:41 PM

Is it muscle soreness? Joint soreness? Pain? Discomfort? How active are you normally? Have you always been/not been active? Have you had many shoulder injuries in your life?

I find a lot of people with sore achy muscles think its 'pain'. Injury is pain. Sore muscles is discomfort due to lack of use....and the more you use the less it will be around
Old 05-02-2021, 06:57 PM

I'm not 68 yet but it's looming over the horizon, and pretty rapidly at that.
A couple of years ago I noticed that my strength was decreasing noticeably and that any time I did anything strenuous I was in pain for a couple of days.
So like everyone out there, I rooted around on the net for a while looking for a solution. I settled on a variation of the classic 5BX body weight exercises that we all knew about from gym class when we were kids. Getting started sucked. But a couple of years in, three mornings a week and suddenly I'm not back to being 20 but I can do a bunch more stuff without hurting. Stopped in November for a TURP and have been struggling to get back to where I was, it's coming, slowly.
I really notice that I can do a bunch of stuff that was causing me pain without hurting now.
that plus...
ibuprofen and lots of water.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:33 PM

My theory says, if you quit moving, you die. I make it a point to do something physical every day. Some days are easier than others.

Grizz
Old 05-02-2021, 08:11 PM

I agree with Grizz! You have to keep moving to stay in shape. I'm 76 and walk several miles each day on bush trails mainly. I alternate some days with a jog of a Km or two.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:36 PM

Yup i do not have to over work myself, just getup in the morning and what the heck was the number on that bus that hit me. Seems the wrong muscle used or the change of weather and i wake up a cripple.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:41 PM

Did you start the tiller or just push and pull it around?
Couldn’t resist, sorry, ha.

Just turned 60 myself, and ya, today I dug up 15 sq yd of sod to extend a garden.
I’ll likely feel it tomorrow morning.

TBark
Old 05-03-2021, 05:46 AM

73 years old, and not nearly as tough as I used to be.
If I lick into a job like a mere 50 year old, I will pay for it.
I try to pace myself.
Yard and garden work takes twice as long, but hurts less.
I try to leave the heavy lifting for the younger members of our Range. I can still do fencing, but 4 or 5 fence post replacements at a time is about enough for one session. There's always painting or grass cutting to do.
Ya gotta keep at it, though.
If you don't do it, pretty soon you can't do it.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
My theory says, if you quit moving, you die. I make it a point to do something physical every day. Some days are easier than others.

Grizz
Very good advice. You don’t want to overdo it but you need to do something physical everyday.
I have enough to retire, but instead opted to semi retire... four hours a day. My knees are shot and doing something every day keeps them somewhat limber.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:20 AM

I'm turning 79 this year and I walk 4 kms and one hill and approx 10 to 15 flights of stairs per day (we live in a three level house).
There is an old saying, you can exercise and stay young or, you can sit and watch yourself get old.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:33 AM

One of my former neighbors, who was 78 at the time, worked with me to put up a fence, shovel and wheelbarrow gravel, mix cement and build a deck ........ I was so surprised that the type of work like that wasn't killing him. I was in my early 40's at the time, and I was, admittedly, a little sore after that type of work.

His secret, he said, was 2 eggs, bacon, toast and coffee every morning and keeping himself busy and active. He had farmed until he was 70 then "retired" but this guy was amazing.

It makes me realize it's 90% about keeping active.
Old 05-03-2021, 12:40 PM

Hey Fish along, it seems to me your joints are going. It sneaks up on ya without warning.

I'm 69, and I need both a knee and hip replacement. Double whammy.
They both happened suddenly outta the proverbial clear blue within a month of each other, last September.

Get to your doctor NOW and explain what's going on so he can refer you to the Hip and Knee Clinic right away - or whatever clinic is appropriate.

The wait-time is currently "forever minus a day" and I'm still waiting for my replacement surgery. I got an "acknowledgement" from 'em, but nothing else.

In the meantime take whatever pain killers your doctor gives you, although I found 4 aspirins a day and glucosamine work best. I'm currently on crutches and a walker.

BTW, those "injections" don't work for me, but they might for you.

Good Luck!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:07 PM

Current resistance and cardio training are valid and required at any age. If you've ticked over the half century mark and get sore and winded with a suspicious pain in your left arm after clearing the sidewalk, it's because you've been counting beans all week and not much else. Add in the psychological stress of dealing with all the crap happening in today's world, and doing any sudden exercise is a bad idea.

At the end of my university studies and final exams I could barely lift a can of tomato juice with one hand. Living off caffeine, sugar and worry, with little sleep and less exercise will knock the stuffing out of you at any age. A year or two later I could carry two bags of drilling gel, one on each shoulder, up a two-storey set of rig stairs for the better part of a 12 hour tour without getting sore or winded. That didn't happen automatically, or all of a sudden. Staying sharp enough to run in 3000 meters of drill pipe while working up the derrick in the middle of winter didn't happen overnight either.

Same principle now applies, 500 years later. Suddenly hauling around a tiller (or using a shovel to hand-turn the same dirt) or carrying a couple cords of wet firewood uphill after driving a desk all week will cause all sorts of problems. However, progressively getting into something ridiculously physical several times a week and then tearing up the garden will not cause so much stiffness and pain. Gotta work up to it.

Medical disclaimer - there could also be something else going on such as arteriosclerosis or other undetected degenerative diseases adding to the problem. Good idea to see Mr. Doctor for a physical exam and listening to a lot of 'Tsk tsk tsk' if you get knocked flat like that or even before trying it.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:32 PM

I woke up this morning after taking 2 extra strength ibuprofen to 3 new pains,my left knee was painful and my left foot in my toe area ,very painful to walk with a cane, also my right wrist was swollen and painful,is it possible I'm having a reaction to the ibuprofen? I didn't take any all day and I just took a Tylenol 3 to dull the pain a few minutes ago. I suppose I will have to go to a clinic and see what can be done.I feel like I've been drug through wringer, Thank you guys for replying it's greatly appreciated.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:39 AM

The now almost forgotten standby, a hot water bottle, is almost unbeatable for pain from overdoing it in my experience.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
The now almost forgotten standby, a hot water bottle, is almost unbeatable for pain from overdoing it in my experience.
Yes I have always used the hot water bottle, it's a great thing to have around when there's pain involved.
Old 05-07-2021, 08:56 PM

Everything has it's season. Pace yourself, see a doctor regularly and make sure you have a reason to get up every day.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:31 PM

Well I had my blood tests done and it the doctor thinks its Polymolagia Rheumatica.or PMR I'm not positive with the spelling.ive been on Steroids for 5 days and after that he will lower dosages for another few weeks in hopes to eradicate it, I hope it works because reading about it sounds scary, some people can have it for up to 3 years. Good news is though I have very little pain and almost normal which is a blessing. If anyone on here has experienced this I would like to hear about it ,Thanks everyone for reading this take care.