Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2021, 08:15 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Many, perhaps the majority, of trophy bucks have been well educated to the tactics of grunting and rattling. This is especially true if you hunt an area year after year. It is fun fooling the up and comers to pass time but once they hit 5 or 6 they will not be fooled twice.

I had a really nice natural blind where two large spruce fell across a cut line I liked to watch. I shot a couple of nice bucks there and generally could watch 10 to 20 deer enter the farmers field each evening. After another storm, a new dead fall created a spot about 30 yards farther up the line so made the move. Not 1 but 3 different mature bucks came out down wind of that blind on different occasions. Each snuck up carefully and checked to make absolutely certain I was not in there before continuing.

As I became more fussy, and perhaps a bit lazy, I often pass on mature bucks for no apparent reason. I have tested their reaction to grunts and rattles and more often then not the results are a kin to a scalded cat exiting a back alley. Some just look over and continue, the odd one wanders a little closer, but the vast majority get out of Dodge right now.

20 and 30 years ago I had bucks run into the grunt so aggressively that a person was nervous. On several occasions I have had multiple bucks respond to the rattle and even had a couple of fights break out right in front of me. These days I believe a person is much better off keeping quiet unless you are well off the beaten trail where they seldom encounter people.

I hear ya, so many variables come into play when it comes to taking mature deer, way more than we know of as every single deer reacts differently to various calls etc but one thing will never change and that’s a hot doe to get them making mind boggling mistakes!

Ohhh and getting your butt out there with people you simply enjoy being with or by yourself is so good for the soul, priceless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-24-2021, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
That is one helluva thunder chunk. Those legs look like they will buckle under the weight. I can’t imagine this deer being stealthy. Probably sounds like a bulldozer going through the bush.

Also, I am amazed that he is so fat. How did he accomplish this? It’s so hard to gain weight on grass and here is this porker looking line he belongs on the O-Line at a football game. Just wow.

Well this area also has bear baits set up in the fall so maybe he has been enjoying that too, just a pig of a deer!

Old 11-24-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

Big Mac!

He is a big deer! Good Luck
Old 11-25-2021, 05:50 AM

Wink

Well last crack at’er....on our way out we freshened up the initial mock scrape just to mess with them a bit more

Old 11-25-2021, 10:48 AM

5 came in and 5 walked so far today and even I would have passed them up but still a rush!

Old 11-25-2021, 11:31 AM

^ Good luck, Cat. Hope you get them!

P. S. What are feeding them down there? Never saw a pig with antlers before.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Big Mac!

*heavy breathing*
Old 11-25-2021, 07:33 PM

Getting late...must of gotten something...
Old 11-26-2021, 08:04 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Getting late...must of gotten something...
Well we walked back to the truck all covered in sweat, in the pitch black, empty handed

Temp went from -15 to raining to -4 or so....we had a total of five yesterday play with us but the afternoon everything just went real quit, out of four days three what I would call shooters showed up but my boy would let them walk....next year he kept saying

We had a blast though, shared a few stories, had a lot of laughs and and a few naps too....

Come next fall we will be at it again.....good luck to all who still are at it and have not folded their tags.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Well we walked back to the truck all covered in sweat, in the pitch black, empty handed

Temp went from -15 to raining to -4 or so....we had a total of five yesterday play with us but the afternoon everything just went real quit, out of four days three what I would call shooters showed up but my boy would let them walk....next year he kept saying

We had a blast though, shared a few stories, had a lot of laughs and and a few naps too....

Come next fall we will be at it again.....good luck to all who still are at it and have not folded their tags.
Well 58...that is what hunting is all about.

You spent time scouting, mock scraping, field time, and probably had a great time doing it.

Hunting is hunting...sometime you strike, and sometime you don't.

It is the thrill of the chase, perseverance, anticipation, and knowing you will try harder the next year that makes this sport what it is.

Been there done that...and will do it again...
Old 12-05-2021, 10:24 AM

Default Mock scrape action!!

Figured a few of you may like this, little video I threw together from this past season!

https://youtu.be/bkRnb_z399E
Old 12-05-2021, 03:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan hunter View Post
Figured a few of you may like this, little video I threw together from this past season!

thx for sharing this with us, your too young to be that wise!!!

I been messing with'em for many moons going to purchase this product next season and give it a go.

the more I have in my pack to mess'em up the better

Old 12-05-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Interesting video and I actually have that scent sitting on my coffee table but have not tried it yet

The guy who makes it is a local and I crossed paths with him well I was out checking cams. I can’t vouch for the product because I have not tried it yet but he is a really nice guy. BSed with him for a while as we shared cam pics of bush bucks in the area

Still have not put in much effort with mock scrapes and have not had any quality deer hit the ones I have made but will keep playing with it a little to see if I experience something different as I adjust
Old 12-05-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
thx for sharing this with us, your too young to be that wise!!!

I been messing with'em for many moons going to purchase this product next season and give it a go.

the more I have in my pack to mess'em up the better
Don’t let me trick you into thinking I’m wise…..years spent in the whitetail woods and I’m going to try and get better at it!!
Old 12-05-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Interesting video and I actually have that scent sitting on my coffee table but have not tried it yet

The guy who makes it is a local and I crossed paths with him well I was out checking cams. I can’t vouch for the product because I have not tried it yet but he is a really nice guy. BSed with him for a while as we shared cam pics of bush bucks in the area

Still have not put in much effort with mock scrapes and have not had any quality deer hit the ones I have made but will keep playing with it a little to see if I experience something different as I adjust
I’ve been using it for 3 years now and it’s amazing, going to branch out a little further next year and try and make some scrape lines deep in the woods, find some real bush bucks!
Old 12-06-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I’ve been using it for 3 years now and it’s amazing, going to branch out a little further next year and try and make some scrape lines deep in the woods, find some real bush bucks!
Another angle I have used with lots of success is a drag rag tied to my ankle and soaked in doe urine usually walked slow into an area then tie it on and walk near or around the mock scrapes I had previously set up. I have had them just come in nose to the ground and cross my path and walk in on my exact path and stop exactly where I took off the urine soaked rag....gotya

If a buck is wise to me for whatever reason I will also put a decoy out again where I can get a good shot. Just to hold their attention.

Sometimes one, two or a combination will work or not but man when they do it’s a blast even if you let them walk

Old 12-06-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Well I will have to tested it out next season instead of leave it out the coffee table

That is basically the only way I hunt whitetail except for the odd time I get invited to hunt someone else’s locations with them. I enjoy it because you are not limited by fences/permission

I have not put much effort into the mock scrapes because I know of so many natural scrape lines. The amount of scouting I do gives me the luxury off knowing a lot of good areas. 58thecat’s threads have just gave me the itch to play with the method to see what I can do with it. I don’t know if will ever be a staple in my bag of tricks but it is interesting