Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-15-2022, 07:34 PM

Default Exercise for Dog in the winter

Thought I would start a thread and ask the question to get some ideas on what some folks are doing to exercise their higher energy hunting dogs during cold winter days? I have a 1 year old English Springer spaniel who is definitely in the higher energy category. He has calmed down as he's getting older and better trained, but I am somewhat dreading how I'm going to keep him exercised in the winter time particularily on very cold days. I take him for walks of course, trips to the dog park, and some good rounds of frisbee, but that gets difficult once its past -20 outside. Any ideas or experience to share is appreciated!

Thanks!
Ken
Old 08-15-2022, 07:39 PM

Until our lab passed in June of this year, we took him for swimming therapy for the low impact and good energy burner. He loved it.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:48 PM

Our GSP just turned one. She is going to be learning how to run on the treadmill. Lots of people do it. Gotta do what you gotta do. My lab is 4. I’m tired of watching him bloody his feet through crusty snow, and cut his lips/tongue when he grabs a frozen bumper. I have tried really hard, but last year was the worst imaginable as he was recovering from TPLO surgery and had to walk every day. Damn that was scary with all the ice. Winter is hard for really active dogs when the snow is deep and it’s really cold. You can get dog boots. I haven’t had luck with them staying on though.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:21 PM
Banned

Harness him up to a portable ice shack and have him drag it out every Saturday.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Thought I would start a thread and ask the question to get some ideas on what some folks are doing to exercise their higher energy hunting dogs during cold winter days? I have a 1 year old English Springer spaniel who is definitely in the higher energy category. He has calmed down as he's getting older and better trained, but I am somewhat dreading how I'm going to keep him exercised in the winter time particularily on very cold days. I take him for walks of course, trips to the dog park, and some good rounds of frisbee, but that gets difficult once its past -20 outside. Any ideas or experience to share is appreciated!

Thanks!
Ken
I walked my dogs on all but the very coldest days (-30). Get a rubber frisbee, keep them moving and stay off of concrete or pavement, it is very cold on there paws. I will say if the wind chill is to much for you it is too much for them. Both my dogs loved bucking deep snow. They are both eleven now and don't enjoy outings in the cold anymore so we limit it, but when they were young they were happy as clams.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-15-2022, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Our GSP just turned one. She is going to be learning how to run on the treadmill. Lots of people do it. Gotta do what you gotta do. My lab is 4. I’m tired of watching him bloody his feet through crusty snow, and cut his lips/tongue when he grabs a frozen bumper. I have tried really hard, but last year was the worst imaginable as he was recovering from TPLO surgery and had to walk every day. Damn that was scary with all the ice. Winter is hard for really active dogs when the snow is deep and it’s really cold. You can get dog boots. I haven’t had luck with them staying on though.
X2 treadmill works great. Border Collie been using one for years in the winter.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:01 PM

X country skiing.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:41 PM

Default Winter

My Chessies like the snow so I let them bound around for a few minutes pending temperatures. When it’s too cold, I take out the ol laser pointer and down to the basement where there is more space. My dogs go crazy trying to catch the little red dot lol. Keeps them moving but my lead dog never wants to stop lol.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:13 AM

My knuckleheads run ahead of the snow machine in the winter and quad in the summer.

My son turns a bunch of his loose and they run a route they do daily, they just go and he follows on quad.
Old 08-16-2022, 07:04 AM

I take them out in almost all weather above -25 or so, I have jackets for them and put a foot prep on their feet to prevent the dreaded ice balls. Even young dogs can go out if you watch them a bit.

Old 08-16-2022, 06:29 PM

Default Exercising dogs

Dress warm my English Setter gets walked -40 to + 40 this AM we were out at 5:30
Edge
Old 08-16-2022, 09:15 PM

Mine loves the cold. Me not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2022, 05:12 AM

Mushers Secret does wonders on pads in the cold. If you have a very active dog, then they are moving so much it doesn't seem to bother them. If it's really cold the Pointers get a sweater vest lol.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! I have a treadmill and will see how he likes that.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! I have a treadmill and will see how he likes that.
I'm getting the feeling the dog is not the problem.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-19-2022, 09:07 AM

I have been in talks with a few people about a indoor area for dogs. The other guy even mentioned a swim area just not sure how to go about it.
I have seen these places down in the US pretty cool. I know 3 handicapped people that get around ok in the summer but not so much in the winter