Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-26-2021, 10:01 AM

Default Baldy Mountain Sheep Herd

Seems like the Baldy mountain herd has either moved off completely from the west side but I haven's seen them in a few years, not that I'm out there that much but it was always fun to see them. I'm wondering if its either because of all the friggin people out there now (I cant believe the amount of traffic speeding around), or if the logging on the NE of Baldy has just given them better habitat and some peace? Anyone have any opinions or insight?
Old 09-26-2021, 11:10 AM

Baldy by Nordegg ? Could be a number of things, including wolf predation, I believe that Baldy has an ATV trail right to the peak. There used to be a herd on the Panther river road. Stuarts of the Land wiped them out one Fall. Accessibility is the enemy.

Grizz
Old 09-26-2021, 02:08 PM

Those sheep have moved years ago across the hyw . the numbers have gone down to just a hand full .
Old 09-26-2021, 05:03 PM

My bro in law saw them several times last winter. Right on the highway by the cliffs just east of Nordegg.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Baldy by Nordegg ? Could be a number of things, including wolf predation, I believe that Baldy has an ATV trail right to the peak. There used to be a herd on the Panther river road. Stuarts of the Land wiped them out one Fall. Accessibility is the enemy.

Grizz
Go ol' land stuarts with there traditional long bows and birch bark canoes
Old 09-27-2021, 07:15 AM

Actually Baldy in Kananaskis across from Barrier Lake. They used to be very common to see there on your way in but now it's just a race way and you don't even dare slow down to look for them.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn42 View Post
Actually Baldy in Kananaskis across from Barrier Lake. They used to be very common to see there on your way in but now it's just a race way and you don't even dare slow down to look for them.
Its not just the sheep.The elk and mule deer have been disturbed all through the range especially during the calving/fawning season.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM

Had to stop for a momma and lamb on Friday afternoon in that area. She was eating right in the middle of the road... wont take long for her or her baby to get hit by a car unfortunately. I'm guessing that's one of the biggest reasons there isn't much of a herd there now.