Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2021, 06:01 PM

Default Tangent Eaglesham area

Looking for a new area to hunt for elk and whitetail. I live in grande prairie ab. Been hunting for 8yrs . Looking for first bull elk and first whitetail buck

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2021, 07:48 AM

Start scouting till you find them

This is how the best locations are found. Anything someone gives you is likely going to be well known busy areas. You also need to find the pockets within a large area to really get it done

Being honest here if you want to hunt private go knock on doors and see where it goes. If you want to hunt public go burn some boot leather and cover ground looking for sign. Long term it will yield better results
Old 10-23-2021, 07:50 AM

They are definitely there, saw a ton of WT bucks when I was late season elk hunting last year. Keep looking and you'll run into one sooner or later. Nov. is just around the corner and that's an exciting time for WTs.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Start scouting till you find them

This is how the best locations are found. Anything someone gives you is likely going to be well known busy areas. You also need to find the pockets within a large area to really get it done

Being honest here if you want to hunt private go knock on doors and see where it goes. If you want to hunt public go burn some boot leather and cover ground looking for sign. Long term it will yield better results
My wife has a girlfriend who lives out by tangent and sees whitetail a lot so plan on going out next week for sure . Really want an elk but gonna go for whitetail buck for sure .

Old 10-24-2021, 07:16 AM

Some crazy locals out in that area, I hunted MD out there a few years back. I never set foot on any private property but had land owners chasing me down and yelling at me anyways. They somehow could not believe that I wasnt the least bit interested in trespassing on their property, and apparently felt that I should have notified them I would be driving on the public roads. I got my Mule deer but it left a bad taste and I've never been tempted to go back.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-24-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:05 AM

A lot of the landowners like their white tail, you can most likely get permission for elk but not white tail. It’s their land and their choice.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:13 AM

I got shaken down there in September the middle of the afternoon after backing my truck and trailer down a range road to let a convoy of harvesters go by. Hand stops and asks what I'm doing? Pulling off a twp road onto a range road so you can get by! Years ago I they would have stopped to thank me and offer permission, now I get shaken down to determine my intent on a public road at 2 in the afternoon. Deeply paranoid folks out that way.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I got shaken down there in September the middle of the afternoon after backing my truck and trailer down a range road to let a convoy of harvesters go by. Hand stops and asks what I'm doing? Pulling off a twp road onto a range road so you can get by! Years ago I they would have stopped to thank me and offer permission, now I get shaken down to determine my intent on a public road at 2 in the afternoon. Deeply paranoid folks out that way.
Yeah, and then after everything is all sorted out the general warning is "Next time just call"... like I need to call and ask landowner permission to drive down a public road and hunt public land.

"Their land their choice" Theres more than a couple out there that need to realize their choice only counts on their land.
Old 10-24-2021, 02:17 PM

Why go further than you should if you live in GP?

If you do, prepare to leave empty handled. Plenty of elk and whitetail. For elk, look in the Smokey valley. Going somewhere you don’t know with no plan looking for your first bull after rut isn’t the best idea. Even if you get permission, you aren’t likely going to find any bulls on the fields. Maybe at the very first light on a field by the valley.

Having said that, plenty of crown land and leases around. Sure, some “suspicious” landowners. I once parked on one of the pullovers on 740 and a guy was driving by me back and forth very slowly before I kept going. He followed me almost all the way to the ferry, lol. Don’t even know why, the guy never talked to me, lol. He drove by me after I was already parked, turned around and started doing his thing. I saw the truck on one of the quarters not far from the pullover a couple of weeks later. Surely there are just as many or more that are reasonable people though.

I haven’t dealt with many landowners out that way, but leaseholders are reasonable once you break the ice. All of the lease land isn’t any different than the crown land around it, so no need for that either, really. I haven’t been back much because I do not see it as worth going. Less pressure is about the only benefit, but the way I hunt that pressure, coming almost exclusively from the roads, doesn’t really matter, maybe even beneficial. In fact, I saw more people on lease land walking in a few outings than I did on crown land over the years combined.

One good tip is that Birch Hills county has their map for free on the county website. It’s a few years old (2018, I think), unless they updated it, but it works. That should help with building at least some kind of plan before heading that way.

Also, you mentioned that wife’s friend who lives out that way sees lots of whitetail. I would think that would be true for any person living somewhere between there and GP, no?

Good luck on your adventures!
Old 10-24-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cageyc View Post
A lot of the landowners like their white tail, you can most likely get permission for elk but not white tail. It’s their land and their choice.
Interesting. I have limited experience dealing with getting permission to hunt, but every time I did, I received permission to hunt in general, not species specific.
Old 10-25-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

If you do, prepare to leave empty handled. Plenty of elk and whitetail. For elk, look in the Smokey valley. Going somewhere you don’t know with no plan looking for your first bull after rut isn’t the best idea. Even if you get permission, you aren’t likely going to find any bulls on the fields. Maybe at the very first light on a field by the valley.

Having said that, plenty of crown land and leases around. Sure, some “suspicious” landowners. I once parked on one of the pullovers on 740 and a guy was driving by me back and forth very slowly before I kept going. He followed me almost all the way to the ferry, lol. Don’t even know why, the guy never talked to me, lol. He drove by me after I was already parked, turned around and started doing his thing. I saw the truck on one of the quarters not far from the pullover a couple of weeks later. Surely there are just as many or more that are reasonable people though.

I haven’t dealt with many landowners out that way, but leaseholders are reasonable once you break the ice. All of the lease land isn’t any different than the crown land around it, so no need for that either, really. I haven’t been back much because I do not see it as worth going. Less pressure is about the only benefit, but the way I hunt that pressure, coming almost exclusively from the roads, doesn’t really matter, maybe even beneficial. In fact, I saw more people on lease land walking in a few outings than I did on crown land over the years combined.

One good tip is that Birch Hills county has their map for free on the county website. It’s a few years old (2018, I think), unless they updated it, but it works. That should help with building at least some kind of plan before heading that way.

Also, you mentioned that wife’s friend who lives out that way sees lots of whitetail. I would think that would be true for any person living somewhere between there and GP, no?

I have the ihunter Ab app downloaded with all the maps I need for birch hills , saddle hills County of gp MD of Greenview all the most updated maps .

Old 10-25-2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post

The reason why I want to hunt a different area is because where I usually hunt is so over hunted that the elk and deer just keep moving farther and farther north . I often get tips from buddies that hunt elk on where they are. I go there hoping for a hence to even see an elk but nothing. Im frustrated, So why not follow suit. Been 5yrs since I shot my first bull moose and still not shot my first bull elk or whitetail buck. I have studied up on the areas I hunt done my scouting and gotten advice from some local hunter buddies. Still solo hu ting too because of my schedule for work. I've been wanting to go hunt farther north for a few years now. I shot my first bull moose upin peace river area. Don't own a quad or side by side. Willing to do the work and scout as much as I can for next year as well .

Old 10-26-2021, 08:11 AM

Don't want to burst your bubble but if you think people haven't hunted in that area as well you are going to be in for a surprise. The animals aren't moving farther north they are just moving farther into the bush because of pressure as the season goes on. If you are going in October looking for elk after months of pressure there is a good chance you still wont be seeing them no matter where you are at. That being said, whitetails are starting to rub and scrape so if you start concentrating on whitetails you might come across an elk in your travels. Also, not trying to sound like a dick but if you have been hunting for 8 years in the same spot and have not got a whitetail or elk then it sounds like you were hunting in the wrong spot in the first place so a change of scenery might be a good option. DM me if you need any help with the area
Old 10-26-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Don't want to burst your bubble but if you think people haven't hunted in that area as well you are going to be in for a surprise. The animals aren't moving farther north they are just moving farther into the bush because of pressure as the season goes on. If you are going in October looking for elk after months of pressure there is a good chance you still wont be seeing them no matter where you are at. That being said, whitetails are starting to rub and scrape so if you start concentrating on whitetails you might come across an elk in your travels. Also, not trying to sound like a dick but if you have been hunting for 8 years in the same spot and have not got a whitetail or elk then it sounds like you were hunting in the wrong spot in the first place so a change of scenery might be a good option. DM me if you need any help with the area
I haven't hunted the same spot for 8 yrs just all over the west of GP and little bit to the north right below saddle hills . Every year I choose a different area to hunt in and seeing lots of mule deer around but very rarely do I get to see a whitetail buck but lots of does which I have shot a few already . I never have anyone to go hunting with either solo hunting is getting pretty boring . I find tracks and rubs and scrapes , not the greatest elk bugler, can do a deer call pretty good though . I was thinking I might travel up to Tangent eaglsham area just to check it out next year and gonna hunt whitetail as I'm giving up on finding a bull elk for myself again for 8yr in a row . Frustrated .

Old 10-27-2021, 09:36 AM

There is an area south of eaglesham I hunt, on the way in there you hit a 4 way the guy that lives there is nuts lol he showed up at our camp one time and asked us why we never got his permission to hunt in his area.
Old 10-27-2021, 11:31 AM

If you have been hunting West and North of Grande Prairie, you have been in the heart of elk and moose hunting mecca of Alberta. You will not find more game anywhere else in Alberta regardless of the direction you go.
Walk slow and "Carry a big stick" Pick your hunting days and weather conditions. Some soft fresh snow and some wind will put conditions in your favor.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
There is an area south of eaglesham I hunt, on the way in there you hit a 4 way the guy that lives there is nuts lol he showed up at our camp one time and asked us why we never got his permission to hunt in his area.
Last name starts with an H
Old 10-27-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
Last name starts with an H
Should be an L for Looney lol
Old 10-27-2021, 03:40 PM

If you want to be successful on elk, you need to spend a lot of time scouting and getting to know a good area. My first 7 years of elk hunting I didn't see a single bull, I was just winging it in areas that was known to hold elk. Than, I invested a lot more time to scout year round and get to know an area, boots on the ground, several trail cam, know every preferred bedding and food sources. the result, I killed 5 bulls in the last 6 years. I can also add, that we hunt an area that is not hunter friendly, we go past our comfort zone to be where others don't want to go.
Old 10-27-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I use the ihunter app and do my dodiligence in getting permission first and foremost. I make I'm hunting on allowed land and fields

Old 10-27-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Should be an L for Looney lol
How far south did this looney live ? I plan on going Saturday to some scouting and knock doors

Old 10-27-2021, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
If you want to be successful on elk, you need to spend a lot of time scouting and getting to know a good area. My first 7 years of elk hunting I didn't see a single bull, I was just winging it in areas that was known to hold elk. Than, I invested a lot more time to scout year round and get to know an area, boots on the ground, several trail cam, know every preferred bedding and food sources. the result, I killed 5 bulls in the last 6 years. I can also add, that we hunt an area that is not hunter friendly, we go past our comfort zone to be where others don't want to go.
That's exactly what I have been doing .

Old 10-27-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1902 View Post
I use the ihunter app and do my dodiligence in getting permission first and foremost. I make I'm hunting on allowed land and fields

We were on crown land I know the area well
Old 10-27-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
We were on crown land I know the area well
Cool