Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-29-2021, 05:16 AM

Just 2 of us out yesterday but we managed to knock down a dozen more
geese5.jpg

I better run as we have a date at 7:43 this morning with a bunch of gorgeous green heads in a bean field.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:35 PM

Default Ducks in a Bean Field

We were out spotting last week and came across mallard ducks pouring into a bean field, never saw that before, peas yes but beans no, anyway we watched them for about an hour and decided to set up the next morning in the hopes they would come back.
We set up the blind along a slough on the edge of the field set out a spread and a couple lucky duck spinners and waiting, well to say they came would be an understatement, 3 of us had our limit within 45 minutes, someone shot a couple hen's ??? go figure as we had decided we were just going to take green heads, but that's another story.
I attached the pic of the shoot, it was sweet.
bean ducks.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:15 PM

We had another great season even though it was interrupted for two turnaround rotations cutting out 4 weeks.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 01-01-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:22 PM

A few more...

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 01-01-2022 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-07-2021, 09:51 PM

Afternoon hunt first in November 7 2021
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evenig hunt.jpg (48.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg nov 721 .jpg (105.3 KB, 87 views)
Old 11-11-2021, 07:04 PM

Solo hunt this morning -12c at 6 30 setup 4 dozen dec and wait and wait about 10 am the geese start flying at 10 30 i finished with some big Honkers this End this season cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg end season 21.jpg (57.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 11-11-2021, 08:56 PM

Those look like some awesome shoots! Well done guys.
Old 11-22-2021, 06:43 AM

Here is a video of some of the action from our 2021 fall waterfowl season. Filmed using a Shotkam on mine and my wife's 20 gauge shotguns.

https://youtu.be/LwRsFU_ocEw
Old 11-22-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
We had another great season even though it was interrupted for two turnaround rotations cutting out 4 weeks.
What blind is that? I am looking into getting an "A" frame for next season and would love to hear which one you have and what you think of it.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:19 PM

It's an Avian X A-Frame....my third season with it and I wouldn't have anything else now after three awesome seasons with it. It sets up fast, under 5 minutes and if you take the time to grass it up well at the start of the season and keep adding a bit as the tops get broken off you'll kill birds out of it consistently. The secret is to have the hole hidden from above and on the two ends. If the birds can see a big dark hole they will get leery of it but cover it over and you can set it out in the middle of a grain field and still kill birds feet down in the decoys. I attach the Cabela's Northern Flight Grass Mats to one side and weave grass in with them. That way I have a side for against slough edges, ditches, fence lines etc. If using it in an open field I put that side on the back side and set the decoys out front. I've had birds circle us lots and still come in regardless of the mixed rough looking back side. As I said covering that top hole and closing the ends is the key to getting birds in. Backed up against cover or tucked up against bales and a little of the cover you're hiding against weaved in makes it disappear. The birds have no idea you are even there. Best of all you don't have to lay on cold ground or shoot from a sitting position.

Last edited by Frank_NK28; 01-01-2022 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Here is a video of some of the action from our 2021 fall waterfowl season. Filmed using a Shotkam on mine and my wife's 20 gauge shotguns.

Great footage.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 11-23-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
It's an Avian X A-Frame....my third season with it and I wouldn't have anything else now after three awesome seasons with it. It sets up fast, under 5 minutes and if you take the time to grass it up well at the start of the season and keep adding a bit as the tops get broken off you'll kill birds out of it consistently. The secret is to have the hole hidden from above and on the two ends. If the birds can see a big dark hole they will get leery of it but cover it over and you can set it out in the middle of a grain field and still kill birds feet down in the decoys. I attach the Cabela's Northern Flight Grass Mats to one side and weave grass in with them. That way I have a side for against slough edges, ditches, fence lines etc. If using it in an open field I put that side on the back side and set the decoys out front. I've had birds circle us lots and still come in regardless of the mixed rough looking back side. As I said covering that top hole and closing the ends is the key to getting birds in. Backed up against cover or tucked up against bales and a little of the cover you're hiding against weaved in makes it disappear. The birds have no idea you are even there. Best of all you don't have to lay on cold ground or shoot from a sitting position.
That is fantastic information. Thanks for taking the time share. I've got a new item on my christmas list now! Where do you watch the geese from though? Is there a mesh viewing window built into it?
Old 11-23-2021, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joezam18 View Post
That is fantastic information. Thanks for taking the time share. I've got a new item on my christmas list now! Where do you watch the geese from though? Is there a mesh viewing window built into it?
No, just watch through the grass as best you can and watch with a minimal of movement....there is plenty of natural small gaps in the overlaid grass to watch through and you can see them easy out the ends as they swing around. I'd rather be covered up well and lose a bit of visibility as be open with a big round pink face sticking out like a beacon to warn them. I often wear a hat with a built in face mask like turkey hunters wear. The less chance they have of seeing you the better your odds of success. Another thing I have learned with it is do not use the spreader bars. Though they help make it more rigid and offer more room to stand up to shoot they create a much larger opening from above the birds can see into. I don't use them any more. I have to re-grass a bit more often to keep the top covered up as a result but it's worth it. I also carry a large industrial clear garbage bag about 4 feet long by three foot wide I fill with grass and bring with me so I don't have to run around in the dark to find more if needed. I often use existing cover(cattails, corn stalks, whatever I am hiding in to blend in. It doesn't take much to just lay some on or weave a bit in and remove after the hunt. The more it matches your surroundings the better....I like it best when it's like looking through a jungle to see out. I try to find good long grass that overlaps above centre from each side so it's a solid mass when viewed from above...no dark hole for them to look into.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:48 PM

A few more examples....first photo is standing up looking out to the decoys.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:

What shotcam did you use to film this? I am looking at getting a tactacam solo hunter package for waterfowl/ elk archery, but I really like what you used here.