Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2021, 02:37 PM

put up a hen at Hopewell and one at Namaka in the last couple weeks.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:26 PM

Quick question. When transporting shot and cleaned make pheasants can you just leave a leg attached instead of a wing or head in Alberta?
Old 10-24-2021, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Quick question. When transporting shot and cleaned make pheasants can you just leave a leg attached instead of a wing or head in Alberta?
one wing
Cat
Old 10-25-2021, 09:24 AM

hit up frank lake on thursday (it stunk, is that a sewage outflow?), dalemead and namaka on sunday, didn't even flush a single bird. Still a good walk with the gun and dog though.

Saw probably 1000+ snow geese on/around namaka, that was something.
Old 10-25-2021, 05:33 PM

Ok we are 4 pages in on the pheasant thread and it's still all about the release sites??

Been out twice for wild, dog found a decent number of hens & roosters... average year I would say. Nice to see good numbers of hens.

Partridge numbers seem average.

Found it to be very dry out there... and obviously is a late freeze this year making the cattails a little difficult to hunt.

The ruffles have been so good this year I seem to be driving west more often than east...
Old 10-26-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadham View Post
Ok we are 4 pages in on the pheasant thread and it's still all about the release sites??

Been out twice for wild, dog found a decent number of hens & roosters... average year I would say. Nice to see good numbers of hens.

Partridge numbers seem average.

Found it to be very dry out there... and obviously is a late freeze this year making the cattails a little difficult to hunt.

The ruffles have been so good this year I seem to be driving west more often than east...
Release site birds are the only Pheasant hunting some people do.
Just as some hunters have only ever shot a Moose on the Prairie.

I enjoy the challenge of hunting for wild birds,it gives me more of an enjoyable hunt weather I shoot one or not.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Release site birds are the only Pheasant hunting some people do.
Just as some hunters have only ever shot a Moose on the Prairie.

I enjoy the challenge of hunting for wild birds,it gives me more of an enjoyable hunt weather I shoot one or not.
No judgement.

Just hoping to hear about a wider spectrum of pheasant hunting on this thread… especially since the southern zones have been open for almost 2 weeks.

I will certainly try a release area at the end of season for a chance at a melanistic.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:54 PM

This Saturday is wild pheasant chasing day.

If I limit out…. I’ll post couple things.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-26-2021, 09:14 PM

We (dog & I) only put up 2 birds today and got both but it was pretty neat to get a melanistic one. I chatted with another hunter who bagged one today as well - he too was pretty chuffed with it. I'll be skinning and drying mine for fly tying.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaerzen View Post
hit up frank lake on thursday (it stunk, is that a sewage outflow?), dalemead and namaka on sunday, didn't even flush a single bird. Still a good walk with the gun and dog though.

Saw probably 1000+ snow geese on/around namaka, that was something.
Frank lake is the outflow from cargill, sure it’s treated but still not nice water.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:09 PM

The norrhern releases are complete for the year, but they did release some melanistic birds this week.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:26 AM

Got shut out last year which was sad, but not this year. Double header on the weekend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L2P.jpg (87.4 KB, 125 views)
Old 10-28-2021, 01:01 PM

Are the releases done for the year or still going on..Im getting out for my first opportunity tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2021, 06:25 PM

Depends. The northern are done but central-south are ongoing.

Check the ACA Release website
https://www.ab-conservation.com/prog...release-sites/
Old 10-29-2021, 10:31 AM

Default Pheasants

Have had descent luck on wild birds this year but the population still hasn't bounced back. It has been a tough few years for wild birds in Southern Alberta. Love hunting behind my GWP's though. Birds.jpg

Birds 2.jpg
Old 10-29-2021, 05:51 PM

Not a chicken
Old 10-31-2021, 06:52 AM

I'm looking to go to a release site in the Brooks area next weekend. I would appreciate tips or pointers on which ones are good or which ones to avoid. I'm more than happy to reciprocate for ones around Med Hat.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
I'm looking to go to a release site in the Brooks area next weekend. I would appreciate tips or pointers on which ones are good or which ones to avoid. I'm more than happy to reciprocate for ones around Med Hat.

Thanks in advance
The ones without 10 trucks. Good luck!
Old 11-01-2021, 10:39 AM

I’m dying to get into pheasant hunting, but have no idea where to start. Would anyone in the Lethbridge area be interested in “mentoring” me next year? I’d be happy to pay for fuel or any other costs you see fit.
Old 11-01-2021, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post

Not a chicken
Nice photo... lovely colors on that bird.

Got 1 and missed 1 last time I was out... 2 roosters and 2 hens flushed by the dog.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:16 PM

Obviously not a wild bird, but pretty neat to have the opportunity to get a melanistic pheasant. The release programs certainly have some drawbacks but sure is nice for some of us just getting into pheasant hunting with a young pup to have places to go where she can get some experience.

Have thoroughly enjoyed my first pheasant season with my pup.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 05:40 AM

Back 2014 I had an invite from an old friend to hunt pheasant for a day, he had a dog and away I went. I drove a couple hours to meet him at the designated release site, we released the dog and away we went, took us a couple hrs and we both had our 2 birds. We had our lunch on the tailgate swapped some stories of days gone by shook hands and headed for home. It was a great day with an old buddy that I had not seen in 10 years and walking behind the dog with an o/u was wonderful again, it brought back memories.

As much as I liked it I could never see myself raising and training a dog just to spend a couple days in a release site shooting pen raised caged birds, sorry that's just not my cup of tea.

When I lived in Central Asia from 1998 to 2004 and buddy of mine and myself had 3 German shorthaired pointers and we hunted every weekend during the long hunting season which ran Sept through Jan, a small game license entitled you to shoot, roosters, hens, keklic and rabbits, the birds were all wild and very plentiful, in those 5 years the only other hunters we saw were the 3 locals that we took with us from time to time. If we got less than 10 birds in a morning shoot it was a bad day and we pretty much kept the entire village supplied with meat.

I attached a pic of a much younger me ( on the left ) with my hunting buddy and our dogs after a typical morning in the creeks bottoms of Central Asia ( Kyrgyzstan ) man those were good years.

Ed, Dick and the dogs.jpg

Duke and Gerda 4.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-30-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Back 2014 I had an invite from an old friend to hunt pheasant for a day, he had a dog and away I went. I drove a couple hours to meet him at the designated release site, we released the dog and away we went, took us a couple hrs and we both had our 2 birds. We had our lunch on the tailgate swapped some stories of days gone by shook hands and headed for home. It was a great day with an old buddy that I had not seen in 10 years and walking behind the dog with an o/u was wonderful again, it brought back memories.

As much as I liked it I could never see myself raising and training a dog just to spend a couple days in a release site shooting pen raised caged birds, sorry that's just not my cup of tea.

When I lived in Central Asia from 1998 to 2004 and buddy of mine and myself had 3 German shorthaired pointers and we hunted every weekend during the long hunting season which ran Sept through Jan, a small game license entitled you to shoot, roosters, hens, keklic and rabbits, the birds were all wild and very plentiful, in those 5 years the only other hunters we saw were the 3 locals that we took with us from time to time. If we got less than 10 birds in a morning shoot it was a bad day and we pretty much kept the entire village supplied with meat.

I attached a pic of a much younger me ( on the left ) with my hunting buddy and our dogs after a typical morning in the creeks bottoms of Central Asia ( Kyrgyzstan ) man those were good years.

Attachment 176581

Attachment 176582
The real thing.....