Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-15-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrub View Post
I Totally know the whole area....some asshat took some of the equipment & the Hugh pile of Sheds. I was first in there fall '93...completely different back then
That's a shame. I haven't been back since the 80's and remember it like it was.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2021, 09:42 PM

Not in the same league, but, found a good as new shiny electric kettle in perfect condition a few miles from Pine lake in the the fall; a few months after the big tornado. It was in someone's trailer that was blown apart, carried up and away in the tornado and somehow floated down and landed softly in a field. Not a scratch or dent. Labels still on the cord. Took a moment and thought about the owner...
Old 08-16-2021, 07:09 AM

My hunting partner and myself found human remains also while tracking a wounded grouse.... ended up being a missing school teacher in the Athabasca region who parked his car and wandered off, there was a little article published in the Advocate a couple months after our discovery
Old 08-16-2021, 11:58 AM

Ten inch long rattlesnake moving (very slowly!) across a small snowbank after an early snowfall.
Old 08-16-2021, 06:40 PM

Was hunting back in the mid 60s with a partner when we cam across a cabin back in on the Lynx Creek drainage in southern Alberta. On the door was a note which read ' if you are reading this I am watching you through the sights of my 30-30.' We left.......
Old 08-16-2021, 07:20 PM

Was moving a rig from North ofEdson to South of Fox Creek on those nice back woods logging roads, summer time, sunny day. Stopped for a whiz and was doing up my fly and I looked down. Right in front of my right foot, about an inch from my toe was a brand new Snap-on 5/16 wrench. I thought what are those odds?
Was dry too.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I find my justification for working long hours for months on end
I find my determination and resolve. And I remember that I can do anything if I work hard and never quit

The spiritual and mental reward to me is greater than anything else
Great post and kinda hits me right now as my normally fairly work/life balanced job is heading into new territory with staff shortages. My careers have generally led to pretty stressful positions through either leadership roles or job nature but what lies ahead is something different. I think about coming through the end of it, being out in the outdoors somewhere and knowing that it was all worth it.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:01 PM

Was heading back to look for an elk. The ground was frozen but no snow. Was having a whizz and the black handle of a pocket knife was being melted out by my stream. Gerber in nice shape. Have it in my pocket right now.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:44 PM

Back in the 80's a buddy and I got flown in to no mans land east of Red Earth to hopefully down a monster moose that the pilot had seen over the last couple of weeks. It was late November and we had one last chance to fill our tag. We landed on a small muskeg lake and set up camp in the stunted spruce. We had a small sleigh we brought with us to haul the meat back to the lake and the plane. There was one cutline and we walked down the next morning and low and behold there was a beautiful women from the playboy centre fold looking at us. It was pinned to a large tree and was in amazing shape. I can only imagine the guy that pushed the cutline through must have added the artwork thinking no now would ever see it. As it was now about -25 and all the moose had moved away from the lake and were feeding heavily down in a deep creek and too far from the lake, we never had any luck over the next two days. The plane flew in early and the pilot was in a real hurry to get us out before a big storm was scheduled to hit, so we left in a hurry and left the sleigh hanging in a tree. In 2015 I did a very long sled ride back into that lake and found the sleigh still hanging in the tree. The pin up girl was gone, but not the memory. Sleigh was still in pretty good shape.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:08 PM

A couple treasures from Chase's Flat's picked up all from the same spot.
Some of my Greatest Hunting Memories are from that area....
I know it very well!

IMG_1886.jpg IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg IMG_1889.jpg
Old 08-17-2021, 03:02 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

was still hunting in some real thick cover and came to an opening just to see a Marlin 30/30 leaning up against a tree with a orange toque on it....kinda looked around and figured I would carry on when I heard a old truck up on the ridge then drive by just to come back by many times...so I gathered up the rifle and toque and climbed the 2 km up and out waiting....when he came by again after about 30 minutes we chatted and I asked him if he lost something....well misplaced a rifle and toque...thought he could see it from up top as he got a deer and all he could do was get it out figuring he would come back for his stuff after he got the deer home....lucky for him I was stumbling around below

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-28-2021, 09:34 AM

Default bump to the top

thought I'd give this a bump to the top as hunting season has started and will be in full swing soon, hoping to get some more additions to the thread.
The only one I can add at this time, a sound I heard, of which I wish I had a recording. A couple of buddies and I had taken our atv's up the Klondyke trail and had stopped for a bite to eat at the 26 km marker. Pleasant sunny day, when a horrible, loud scream/howl comes out of the bush seemingly just a few feet away. We exchanged wide eyed glances while quickly packing up. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. Not exactly sure of what it was, didn't see anything, but that was enough to make your blood run cold and send chills up your spine. Frightening to say the least.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:29 AM

Several yrs ago I was hunting out by Carrot Creek and went down a well used little trail and laying on the ground was a set of strange animal horns ,definitely nothing from around here.
The nearest I could figure from looking at pictures ,it was from an Impala or kudu /something like that.

I mentioned them on this site at the time and a member asked if he could have em but never came to pick em up.

They were pretty deteriorated,I kept em for a while but eventually put em in the bin
Old 09-28-2021, 10:37 AM

Another good one but it wasn’t me .

My father I law who is gone now ,was out wandering , back in the 1970s and saw a thing sticking out of a snow bank. He went and pulled it out and it it was a cased Ithaca model 37 20ga shotgun. It was a a bit rusty on the surface but otherwise perfect condition.
He gave it to me before he passed and my son carries it still. Might be the sweetest shotgun I ever fired.
Old 09-28-2021, 10:49 AM

A hunter walking north down the road who swore he was heading south to his motor home. Took a lot to convince him to hop in the truck and take him back there.
Old 09-28-2021, 11:21 AM

Anyone been through the Chisholm area? Theres one spot way back in the bush where one of the locals saw fit to purchase about 50 children's dolls and hang them naked in the trees by strings around their necks. A darn good way of keeping people out of your hunting area I guess?

I dont know the particular character myself, but have worked with a few guys who do. They claim that there is a grave in his backyard where his father is burried... while he and his mother still collect the pension cheques. All of which makes the doll thing even more unsettling.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:48 PM

I was in northern Alberta and decided to walk an overgrown cutline.

After about an hour I saw something just on the east side of the cutline....

Two AGT phone booths.

Walked up, opened the door, picked up the receiver and had a dial tone

Made a collect call to my house and my wife answered. She said where are you? I said you wouldnt believe me if I told you.....

And later that day I had a caribou running in the ditch next to my truck.....
Old 09-29-2021, 09:01 PM

^^^ can you hear me now?

We were walking down a path at a somewhat remote lake and saw some yellow rope anchored to a tree with the other end in the lake. We pulled the 20' or so rope in. It was tied to something kinda heavy. We had no idea what to expect. It was tied to a plastic mesh sack. Kind of like a bag of onions. But it was full of ice cold beer. Besides us there wasn't anyone else around.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
^^^ can you hear me now?

We were walking down a path at a somewhat remote lake and saw some yellow rope anchored to a tree with the other end in the lake. We pulled the 20' or so rope in. It was tied to something kinda heavy. We had no idea what to expect. It was tied to a plastic mesh sack. Kind of like a bag of onions. But it was full of ice cold beer. Besides us there wasn't anyone else around.
I dream of stuff like that.......