Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-13-2021, 06:23 PM

Default Most interesting / odd thing you've found while hunting?

Few years back I found a full sized fridge in the middle of some of the roughest thickest brush I've ever hunted.. it was a full 2km from any road or existing trail.. fridge was still intact other than a couple bullet holes..it was fairly new so not hauled in and left in the 80s lol....thinking some backcountry hunter/ camper wanted to keep his drinks cold so packed that sucker in.....
What's the craziest thing you've found ??
Old 08-13-2021, 06:30 PM

Found a grave site headstone on the top of a remote ridge. Must have been transported by horse. A cool spot with an amazing view.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:52 PM

Default Fossil

Spotted a shell like fossil in some rocks and dug it out..handed it to my father in-law and he fumbled it .when it hit the ground she broke in half...inside the fossil was a void/cavity that caused the easy break.inside the void was coal deposit and a small cluster of diamonds.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:11 AM
Banned

I find my justification for working long hours for months on end
I find my determination and resolve. And I remember that I can do anything if I work hard and never quit

The spiritual and mental reward to me is greater than anything else
Old 08-14-2021, 11:21 AM

Not found but interesting. Watched a heavy limb fall off of a cottonwood tree and miss my brother by a few feet. He had been standing where that limb landed just a few seconds before.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2021, 11:48 AM
Banned

Many moons ago while dredging through the heavy snow, found some truck tracks at the edge of a coulee where a fence was cut. The tracks looked reasonably recent and headed straight down the edge of this long funnel. Walked by it and thought twice and decided to see who was dumb enough to head down into the South Sask river coulee.

Long story short, found the driver pinned between the steering wheel and bench seat and thought he had passed. Shook the poor fella for what seemed like minutes until he responded, crazy cold and he was still alive. Back in those days there wasn't the rescue equipment we have today, so mostly man power to remove him from the truck and haul out of this coulee.

He thought he could drive the edge of this coulee and his truck thought otherwise. We are still to this day good friends. Be safe everyone.

Jim
Old 08-14-2021, 11:52 AM

Out by Mcbride BC one time I heard something in the bush on an old grown in logging road. All of a sudden a Fisher come tearing out of the bush with a wolverine right on its ass. About 300 yards up the trail that wolverine tore the fisher to pieces in a couple minutes.
Old 08-14-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I find my justification for working long hours for months on end
I find my determination and resolve. And I remember that I can do anything if I work hard and never quit

The spiritual and mental reward to me is greater than anything else
Good post. I feel the same way
Old 08-14-2021, 02:17 PM

Most interesting physical item I’ve found is this compass way back in the Willmore on a dry creek bed. What stories could this old compass tell?
Old 08-14-2021, 02:19 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2021, 03:50 PM

One trip up by red earth we found a Canoe in the middle of nowhere… late November and we were driving down some cutlines checking out a new area and suddenly we came upon a canoe in the middle of a swamp. There was no creek or large body of water, just some muskeg.

On the same trip we found a lawn chair and a cooler sitting at a point where two lines intersect, creating a 4 way view. We took some funny pictures there and carried on our way.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:09 PM

50 years ago I went to a valley to get a christmas tree I was hiking down a 75 foot cut bank following a very obscure small trail down. About half way down the slope I found a room dug into the cutbank. It was about 8 feet deep and had a 7 foot ceiling. On each side of the dirt room was a shelf dug. Extremely hidden from view. There was a very old lamp with a candle in it and an old double barreled black powder shotgun. The shotgun had external flintlock hammers sort of like the ones in the pic. It was not useable but still intact. I suspect the room was most likely dug many years before. Like 50 to 75 years earlier. Maybe 1880 to 1900.

Once I found a whole moose skeleton with it's antlers caught between two trees. Was a good sized bull too. Poor moose's skeleton was totally intact with only dried up sinew holding it together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R (1).jpg (35.4 KB, 354 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-14-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
50 years ago I went to a valley to get a christmas tree I was hiking down a 75 foot cut bank following a very obscure small trail down. About half way down the slope I found a room dug into the cutbank. It was about 8 feet deep and had a 7 foot ceiling. On each side of the dirt room was a shelf dug. Extremely hidden from view. There was a very old lamp with a candle in it and an old double barreled black powder shotgun. The shotgun had external flintlock hammers sort of like the ones in the pic. It was not useable but still intact. I suspect the room was most likely dug many years before. Like 50 to 75 years earlier. Maybe 1880 to 1900.
Now that^^^^ is cool
Old 08-14-2021, 06:14 PM

About 16 years ago I was out hunting with my buddy and I used my work van to get out there. Naturally, we parked on a nice, flat spot in a pull out and hunted. After lunch we went back out for several hours, and returned at dusk.

There were two guys sitting next to the van. Weird, but as we approach I can see tire tracks going over a steep drop off 30 yards from my van. These guys were so relieved that we came back because they drove their f150 down the embankment thinking 4WD would get them out (maybe an extreme off-road rig would back out of that lol). They went down there to collect fire wood.

Anyways, these two goof balls were waiting hoping we could drive them to a camp down the road. I know which one they are talking about, but it’s maybe a half hour walk? These guys felt they couldn’t walk that far? This has to be a joke I thought, but whatever who am I to judge. So I take them over there, the gruelling 7 minute drive it was, and those guys at the camp helped them.

It was a level of stupidity that I thought I was being pranked. But no, this was the real deal. Thankfully they weren’t hunting out there. They probably would shoot a wild horse and put a bear tag on it.
Old 08-14-2021, 06:57 PM

Not found but definitely goes down as odd/weird.

Last year at the end of August I was bow hunting on a local river for moose. That morning I ran 70km up river and spent the day drifting back down, anchoring and calling for a bull periodically. Mid-afternoon I came around a bend in the river where the water was moving pretty fast and there was a guy kneeled down doing something at the rivers edge. I watched as I got closer and the guy was wearing some old non-distinct clothing. He was pretty old himself with a scruffy beard and a old wide-brimmed hat I’d expect to see Cat sporting. When I was less than 100 feet or so away I yelled out “good afternoon” and waved at him. I startled him so he obviously hadn’t seen or heard me. He said nothing in response just stared at me for 15 seconds or so not moving an inch, then he stood up, turned and walked up the bank and into the bush. No roads on that side of the river and it was pretty thick woods so I have no idea what he was doing or where he came from. I’d be lying if I didn’t say the encounter gave me the willies…
Old 08-14-2021, 07:05 PM

My wife and I were looking for deer down an old machinery road and came across an older suburban parked in the middle of the road. We sat there a couple minutes and it never moved so I decided to get out to see if someone was in it. Just as I slammed my truck door I saw a head pop up from the back and a bare ass scrambling over the seats to the drivers seat and drive away. I was laughing so hard I didn’t get a good look but we interrupted some couples romantic time. My wife still laughs about it.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:22 PM

I found a human skull on our ranch land with a bullet hole in the forehead. He was murdered 9 years prior.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:45 PM

Maybe 25 years ago, I had a friend drop me of at a bridge.
I "knew" I should not be hunting there but it 3as a hotot for big bucks.
I snuck along the river and found a big oak to climb right on the riverbank.
The landowners kid decided to bowhunt that evening also.
I seen him come down the riverbank, bow in hand and sit behind a big oak about 20 yards away across the river.
He was wearing regular blue jeans and a military green jacket.
I tucked in tight to the tree I was in to avoid detection.
He just sat behind the base of the tree and started reading a magazine.
Must been a GOOD one as he whipped out his Johnson and started it.
I had to summons ever being in my soul to keep from busting out laughing.

He was a real "dink". I wish I could video it.
I may have could owned that land now.

Last edited by bucksnbears; 08-14-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2021, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksnbears View Post
Maybe 25 years ago, I had a friend drop me of at a bridge.
I "knew" I should not be hunting there but it 3as a hotot for big bucks.
I snuck along the river and found a big oak to climb right on the riverbank.
The landowners kid decided to bowhunt that evening also.
I seen him come down the riverbank, bow in hand and sit behind a big oak about 20 yards away across the river.
He was wearing regular blue jeans and a military green jacket.
I tucked in tight to the tree I was in to avoid detection.
He just sat behind the base of the tree and started reading a magazine.
Must been a GOOD one as he whipped out his Johnson and started it.
I had to summons ever being in my soul to keep from busting out laughing.

He was a real "dink". I wish I could video it.
I may have could owned that land now.
Maybe he was trying to attract a doe
Old 08-15-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Not found but definitely goes down as odd/weird.

Last year at the end of August I was bow hunting on a local river for moose. That morning I ran 70km up river and spent the day drifting back down, anchoring and calling for a bull periodically. Mid-afternoon I came around a bend in the river where the water was moving pretty fast and there was a guy kneeled down doing something at the rivers edge. I watched as I got closer and the guy was wearing some old non-distinct clothing. He was pretty old himself with a scruffy beard and a old wide-brimmed hat I’d expect to see Cat sporting. When I was less than 100 feet or so away I yelled out “good afternoon” and waved at him. I startled him so he obviously hadn’t seen or heard me. He said nothing in response just stared at me for 15 seconds or so not moving an inch, then he stood up, turned and walked up the bank and into the bush. No roads on that side of the river and it was pretty thick woods so I have no idea what he was doing or where he came from. I’d be lying if I didn’t say the encounter gave me the willies…
Did you hear a Banjo??
Old 08-15-2021, 08:45 AM

2 seasons ago a friend and I were putting up trail cams early bow season on his land, came across a set of tire tracks that turned off a lease road. The tracks were beat down pretty good someone had been using them quite regularly. They into a fairly tight bunch of hidden buck brush. We went to investigate and found 2 45 gal drums with about an 1 of some unknown liquid in the bottom of them. Not knowing what we found we dumped.the remains of one on the ground it was on the thicker side and very bubbly. Bunch of naive farm boys we were. We phoned his dad and described what we found and did some brain storming and decided that maybe contacting rcmp was our best course of action. Yea.... coming across meth barrels in your rural community leaves a pretty uneasy and violated feeling in your stomach.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:52 AM

Found a Dora the Explorer deflated balloon 30 km in the mountains, middle of no where in thick bush. Have found a few deflated plastic balloons in the backcountry, assume these to be helium balloons that landed here from someone’s birthday party back in civilization. I imagine these take a few thousand years to breakdown.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Did you hear a Banjo??
No Banjos but I’m heading back in a week and a half for the bow opener so I’ll be keeping my eyes and ears open.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool find.

Maybe he stopped for a yank and forgot it. Hopefully he found his way home.
Old 08-15-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke74 View Post
I found a human skull on our ranch land with a bullet hole in the forehead. He was murdered 9 years prior.
It's going to be hard to top this!
Old 08-15-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
There has got to be more info to this story
Old 08-15-2021, 12:47 PM

Over 30 years ago I hunted west of Fox Creek at "chases flats". it was 2 hours by road and 1 hour by quad to get back to where someone had farmed with horse drawn equipment. We were baffled by how/why the Chase family farmed so far from anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
There has got to be more info to this story
There is. It would make a good movie. It included a 6 month sting operation with the suspects ‘winning’ free Vancouver Grizzlies tickets along with other ‘winners’ (undercover cops). It lead to the arrest and conviction of 2 people. Lots more to the story.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
whoa. You win and I havent even finished the rest of the replies
Old 08-15-2021, 02:31 PM

I Totally know the whole area....some asshat took some of the equipment & the Hugh pile of Sheds. I was first in there fall '93...completely different back then