Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2020, 11:09 PM

Default Called an elk in today...

A bit of a prequel first. So I had permission to hunt on these two quarters separated by a highway. Both border crown land on the opposite sides. One is not really a full quarter, rather a narrow piece of land between the highway and a river valley. Elk usually move from the crown land on one side to the crown land on the other side, ie crossing both pieces of land. The narrow parcel was sold last year and I finally ran into the new owner a couple of weeks ago. We talked and the guy expressed his understanding how tough it is to get permission nowadays and he feels for hunters (we talked about poaching in the area). I then asked for permission to hunt on the field that is now his and he declined, saying he hunts It himself. I asked if maybe after he was tagged out? He declined. Which totally cool with me, though I won’t lie, I thought there was irony given our conversation prior. Regardless, all good and no hard feelings on my part.

Fast forward to yesterday evening. I was “hunting” (stood behind a bale for 40 minutes or so before lights out) the other quarter and the quarter next to it that I also have a permission to access and hunt on. Nothing showed up except for a few mulies, so I left. As I was driving on the highway, I looked at the parcel I no longer have permission on, I saw a couple dozens of elk. I stopped and glassed for a minute. Saw what looked like a bull and heard a couple of bugles from the other end as well. Cool. Made a contingent plan for today.

Today, I went to the field across from the parcel I saw elk on yesterday. The wind was perfect for my plan, blowing parallel to the highway, ie perpendicular to elk crossing path. I set up upwind, waited till about sunset and sent a bugle. The plan was to get the elk from the crown land on the other side of the parcel I no longer have permission to hunt on to come to the field where I was and put it down there. Guess what? The plan worked almost perfectly. After I sent a bugle, I was sitting and waiting. I couldn’t really see the other parcel, but didn’t really need to either. Then, about 10 minutes after my call, I hear an elk bugling where I was expecting it to come from. A minute or two later, another bugle. He was definitely coming my way. Awesome. I was about to send another bugle and get into shooting position when I heard a bang. Then another almost right away. A few seconds later, another one.

Turns out, sometime after my bugle, the new owner drove in, watched the bull come out onto his parcel and keep moving my way and closer to him for a good shot (I didn’t talk to him, but this is exactly what happened, zero doubt in my mind; he wasn’t there just a couple minutes before my bugle). He then shot it. He was in the middle of the field when I was driving out, so I didn’t walk to him to talk because I don’t have permission to be on the field anymore.

Enjoy the meat, man! And I mean it. Won’t lie, it did **** me off a little bit, especially because the guy simply sits in his vehicle and waits. Which is a great strategy, except they only show up past legal time now, unless you can pull them out. Hopefully, it wasn’t a bull I think it may have been, lol.

Anyway, that’s the story of the night. Thought some you might get a laugh out of it.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:17 AM

Tough break. At least you know your plan was working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-17-2020, 06:53 AM

isnt that a kick in the nuts?

get denied access to land you previously had permission for, call a bull in and the guy who just denied you shoots the bull you called in.
Old 10-17-2020, 07:18 AM

Had a similar thing happen to me on public land with a moose a number of years ago, had a bull on a string coming in, he was about 400 yards away yet and hit a cross cut line, a guy on a quad was coming down that cross cut line and bang, can't believe his luck just poking around on his quad at 7:00 in the evening and here is a bull moose..... wow, yup sometimes crap happens.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:03 AM

That sucks,

the only time its fun watching other people shoot stuff that you called in, is when its your buddy.

I feel for ya. Happened to me with a Turkey on year a while back.
Old 10-17-2020, 08:35 AM

Ugh, that would definitely be a tough pill to swallow. I wonder if he knew you were out there and did it out of spite? Hopefully it was just a coincidence.
I'm sure you'll get the right one this year, the guy just extended your hunting season for you!
Old 10-17-2020, 08:53 AM

Oh man that sucks!

But hey! Your calling works eh?

That’s the cool part really.

You miss out on all that back breaking work...!

And I’ll bet it’ll be tough as leather.... tastes bland....

Ya feel better now?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 10-17-2020, 09:37 AM

Plus it sounds like it had to much lead in it anyway...gotta pass on those ones!
Good luck with the rest of your season..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-17-2020, 10:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

dam eh....your calling works so stay at it...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-17-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Plus it sounds like it had to much lead in it anyway...
Zip
Haha. That’s what I thought as well, lol.

While it was a little disappointing, I can say I didn’t take it too hard. I mean it sucks, but kind of funny too. I thought the funny part was at least as equal.

The guy didn’t know I was there. Pretty sure he thinks he lucked out (or maybe that he is a super hunter? And maybe he is, I don’t know much about the guy), but doesn’t actually know how much he lucked out, lol.

Before sending the bugle, I got on top of the high point to see if there was any elk on his field. There wasn’t and his vehicle wasn’t either. He must have drove in after my bugle.

Anyway, as unfortunate as it is for me (is it, really, though, unfortunate? I have mixed feelings about it, lol), I do truly hope it was a good eater and the guy enjoys it. Not the last bull out there and hopefully not the last one I have a chance at.

Another funny part is that his story (Which is really the same story) probably sounds different than mine
Old 10-17-2020, 07:30 PM

I really like the content of your hunting threads, they have a lot of substance.
Good story telling in them as well.

Keep up the good posts and the positive outlook on your hunts, even when they don't go quite as planned.

I look forward to reading more
Old 10-17-2020, 09:21 PM

fishnguy ... Consider that you did your good deed for the season. Better things to come. At least the new owner won't be out there ruining another hunt this fall.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-17-2020, 11:18 PM

Cool story and unfortunate that it didn't work out but sometimes them are the breaks. Hopefully you can tag one before the season ends and it will be that much sweeter.

Had a similar type of story happen and was initially a little bummed but met up with the guy and he was so pumped I couldn't help but be happy for him. Helping him take pictures and get it loaded was honestly a great end to a day.

Hey maybe in a way you made this guys season...
Old 09-30-2021, 12:24 AM

So there was a prequel and the story. Today there was a… what do you call it? A sequel, perhaps? The story got legs, I guess, haha.

Anyway, today I was hunting on the quarter adjacent to the one I was trying to pull the bull to last year, as described in the first post. The only two quarters I have permission to hunt on, both permissions were confirmed within the last few weeks.

So I just stood behind a fallen tree, looking around. Sent a bugle, some cow calls and whatnot. A few minutes later, I see someone walking to me from that other quarter I have permission on. As he got closer, I recognized the guy from last year, the new owner of that parcel I am not allowed to hunt on anymore. He asks me if I am trying to pull a bull from one of the quarters I know I have permission on to the other. I say why would I do that because I can shoot it on either side of the fence. He asks if I have permission. I say sure, do you? He says to me, well looks like I don’t have it anymore because he talked to Bob the other day and was told that he is the only one who can hunt on Bob’s quarter. I laugh and say, sure, except I talked to Bob end of August and I am good to go (also, I will probably be one of the last people Bob says no to). So we spend a few minutes chatting, I, being polite, say we can definitely make some kind of arrangement if he is planning to hunt this quarter. Remember he has his own parcel across the road (a superior one, actually, as far as hunting goes), the one he denied me a permission to hunt on last season. He mumbles something in return, definitely looking unhappy, but we chat a little more. Then I ask him if, when he isn’t here hunting, I can shoot an elk on his land if I happen to see one there. The guys say no, he wants that land for himself. Lol.

So… He doesn’t allow me to hunt on his land across the road (which is fine) and now tries to rid me of the permission I have on the other quarter (which is not fine). And he shot “my” bull last year, lol. And he is also trying to ask me questions about the owner of the adjacent quarter I was standing on. I don’t think so, bud. Some people just suck, frankly.

Problem is, this year, most of the time I was out hunting or calling for fun, the bulls respond from his side of the road. Ain’t no way am I calling another bull for him. I don’t hunt the fields much, since I prefer bush, but if I have an urgent itch (well, I guess that happens often in the evenings this time of year) and little amount of time, I go up there. Not sure how that is going to work out now. I won’t be laughing as I did last year if I unintentionally pull another bull out of the valley for him to shoot. Yeah… kind of a pickle because standing there on the field without calling isn’t going to work either. I mean it might and elk might come, but who wants to just stand/sit there without having fun calling and whatnot. I guess we shall see. Hopefully, I will not have anymore interactions with this guy, direct or otherwise. Kind of wish I was more of an ass too and explain the situation to Bob, who is a fairly reasonable man and would likely say no to guy in regards to hunting on his land unless he allows hunting on his own. But I am not, lol. We will see what comes of it.
Old 09-30-2021, 06:10 AM

This was the kind of guy that as a kid wanted all the marbles for himself.I remember a hunter that tried to chase my dad out of a hunting area years ago.unbeknownst to the guy dad had signed a 10 year lease the previous year to lease the land.was an interesting conversation when the guy tried to put dad out of the land he’d leased.dad being the quality of guy he was still allowed the idiot to bow hunt there.good luck with your situation.some people
Old 09-30-2021, 07:23 AM

Stuff like that happens all the time .
A friend of mine hunted fit more than a few years on some land that a farmer renteld off a large land owner in 505/ 510 area.
The land owner ( how NEVER allows hunting ) found out and told the farmer he can't let hunters on the land or he would cancel the agreement .
Nothing a guy can do except deal with it .
Cat
Old 09-30-2021, 07:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
A bit of a prequel first. So I had permission to hunt on these two quarters separated by a highway. Both border crown land on the opposite sides. One is not really a full quarter, rather a narrow piece of land between the highway and a river valley. Elk usually move from the crown land on one side to the crown land on the other side, ie crossing both pieces of land. The narrow parcel was sold last year and I finally ran into the new owner a couple of weeks ago. We talked and the guy expressed his understanding how tough it is to get permission nowadays and he feels for hunters (we talked about poaching in the area). I then asked for permission to hunt on the field that is now his and he declined, saying he hunts It himself. I asked if maybe after he was tagged out? He declined. Which totally cool with me, though I won’t lie, I thought there was irony given our conversation prior. Regardless, all good and no hard feelings on my part.

Fast forward to yesterday evening. I was “hunting” (stood behind a bale for 40 minutes or so before lights out) the other quarter and the quarter next to it that I also have a permission to access and hunt on. Nothing showed up except for a few mulies, so I left. As I was driving on the highway, I looked at the parcel I no longer have permission on, I saw a couple dozens of elk. I stopped and glassed for a minute. Saw what looked like a bull and heard a couple of bugles from the other end as well. Cool. Made a contingent plan for today.

Today, I went to the field across from the parcel I saw elk on yesterday. The wind was perfect for my plan, blowing parallel to the highway, ie perpendicular to elk crossing path. I set up upwind, waited till about sunset and sent a bugle. The plan was to get the elk from the crown land on the other side of the parcel I no longer have permission to hunt on to come to the field where I was and put it down there. Guess what? The plan worked almost perfectly. After I sent a bugle, I was sitting and waiting. I couldn’t really see the other parcel, but didn’t really need to either. Then, about 10 minutes after my call, I hear an elk bugling where I was expecting it to come from. A minute or two later, another bugle. He was definitely coming my way. Awesome. I was about to send another bugle and get into shooting position when I heard a bang. Then another almost right away. A few seconds later, another one.

Turns out, sometime after my bugle, the new owner drove in, watched the bull come out onto his parcel and keep moving my way and closer to him for a good shot (I didn’t talk to him, but this is exactly what happened, zero doubt in my mind; he wasn’t there just a couple minutes before my bugle). He then shot it. He was in the middle of the field when I was driving out, so I didn’t walk to him to talk because I don’t have permission to be on the field anymore.

Enjoy the meat, man! And I mean it. Won’t lie, it did **** me off a little bit, especially because the guy simply sits in his vehicle and waits. Which is a great strategy, except they only show up past legal time now, unless you can pull them out. Hopefully, it wasn’t a bull I think it may have been, lol.

Anyway, that’s the story of the night. Thought some you might get a laugh out of it.

DANG! I know how you felt.
Old 09-30-2021, 07:52 AM

I hear your frustration. Some people are classless and selfish.

I shot a deer and a guy stopped and started questioning me if I had permission.....lol

He told me he knew the owner of the land and he knew the previous owner too. Told me he used to swim in an old dugout on the land ....and he was sure that no one had permission to hunt here

I had to tell him that the original owner was the Dominion of Canada, next owner was my grandfather and now its mine.

What does he say?......

"Noooo, this is Ron and Janet's place. Ive been here many times for supper"

Really, do Ron and Janet live in the bush because there isn't even a house on this quarter......

Last edited by huntinstuff; 09-30-2021 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:07 AM

Default Called an elk.

Funny how this dude already has a quality place to hunt, but wants control of where you hunt too. People are so greedy. Maybe if he agreed to you two hunting together, a friendship could have blossomed, and you could help each other out, but no, some guys just want it all. Greed.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:21 AM

From your description of the layout of the land, can you access the Crown land from the highway or another access point? If so, maybe you should go behind the private land and call from there and wait for the guy to show up.

You two are not friends anyway, so simply tell him its Crown Land, and be done with it.

What will next happen is the guy will do anything he can to wreck your hunts on the private land in hopes of moving you out of there.

Drewski
Old 09-30-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
From your description of the layout of the land, can you access the Crown land from the highway or another access point? If so, maybe you should go behind the private land and call from there and wait for the guy to show up.

You two are not friends anyway, so simply tell him its Crown Land, and be done with it.

What will next happen is the guy will do anything he can to wreck your hunts on the private land in hopes of moving you out of there.

Drewski
X2
Old 09-30-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I hear your frustration. Some people are classless and selfish.

I shot a deer and a guy stopped and started questioning me if I had permission.....lol

He told me he knew the owner of the land and he knew the previous owner too. Told me he used to swim in an old dugout on the land ....and he was sure that no one had permission to hunt here

I had to tell him that the original owner was the Dominion of Canada, next owner was my grandfather and now its mine.

What does he say?......

"Noooo, this is Ron and Janet's place. Ive been here many times for supper"

Really, do Ron and Janet live in the bush because there isn't even a house on this quarter......

If he was on your property and acting like that I would have probably charged him with trespassing. It's unfortunate but guys like that who you and the OP had to deal with won't learn their lesson unless this happens.
I've also been in that situation where a hunter or group of hunters tries to bully/bluff you off land your friend/family owns because they're greedy and want the access all to themselves. They sure get friendly and all "buddy, buddy" once you tell them how you know the landowner.
A pretty pathetic move IMO.....
Old 09-30-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Funny how this dude already has a quality place to hunt, but wants control of where you hunt too. People are so greedy. Maybe if he agreed to you two hunting together, a friendship could have blossomed, and you could help each other out, but no, some guys just want it all. Greed.
That was my thought exactly. My guess is he saw a bull running around a couple of times on that quarter and figured since he has no luck on his, he should be the one getting the bull he saw. In reality, a few minutes after lights out, there is a herd on his land at least a few time per week this year. For whatever reason, they seem to stick around there this fall. Sometimes he sits in his stand and looks at them, but shooting time is over. Had he been friendlier, I would help him get them up during legal time and he would tag a while back, more likely than not. Hard to do that just sitting quietly on the stand and waiting for them to come up if their routine is to come up after hours every time. Alas… I am sure he would get them eventually, but…

Also a funny/suspicious thing, prior to him buying that land last year, I have never seen anything but seed and grain growing there. Usually, canola and weed and barley. Rarely oats. This year, all of a sudden there is something that looks very much like alfalfa that also has been cut a while back, but so far left lying in the field. It’s been a while too. But maybe it is normal to leave it that long, I am no expert in that department. But this “unusual” change is sure kind of funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post

Drewski
Unfortunately, the only way to hunt the animals on that particular piece of land is to get them up to the field. There is no hunting beyond his parcel.

Hopefully, he won’t interrupt with my stuff, just like I won’t with his. I don’t have any problems sharing and prefer to hunt in the bush anyway. Can’t say for sure, but in all likelihood, he will lose the permission to enter that quarter if he starts acting like a donkey. We shall see. My “biggest worry” at the moment is that I am going to end up getting him another animal to shoot at, lol. Which, like I said, I would gladly do if he acted differently.

I don’t have a doubt he has permission to hunt on that quarter. Otherwise, we would likely be having a different kind of conversation. I’ll still ask Bob the next time I see him, just in case, lol. I “chased” a few others with “permission” from that particular quarter. Not that I was rude, but explained to them that the person who they “think” gave them permission to be there is not the one who owns the land (neither the one who rents it) and the legal description they “think” this quarter has isn’t it. I also let them know that they are being watched more often than not by more than one guy, so they should act accordingly. People are funny when they play dumb throwing names and numbers what they “thought” and whatever. Weird stuff.

Interestingly, had people been nicer and reasonable, things would have worked out better for everyone, or most anyway. Had people asked for permission instead of trespassing, some would get it for sure (like I said, Bob is a reasonable guy, in spite of being tired of trespassing, but he understand that those who ask aren’t usually the ones who cause trouble), if the new owner guy was nicer, we would have some good laughs about the situation described in the first post of this thread while he was cutting up his bull this year, and, more importantly, I would be happier too, lol.

Anyway, wish you all good luck and hope you run into better people, lol, in your adventures.