Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 PM

Default paintable bedliner/rock guard

I'm refurbishing an old vintage fiberglass boler camper trailer, I was thinking of spraying bedliner/ rockguard spray on the front and about 3" all around on te bottom. Can the spray stuff that you buy at Canadian tire in a can be painted? Has anyone used that stuff before or would you take it to the profesionals.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:07 PM

Look into Raptor Liner. I just had a bunch done on my truck, all color matched.

Looks awesome and won't fade. I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Banned

Tagged for info
Old 10-19-2017, 08:56 PM
Banned

I used it along the bottom sides of an old Bronco II and it worked well. Also on my homemade ATV/sled trailer. It's easy to spray on and looks pretty darned good. I'd recommend using it as opposed to paying to get it done if the savings will be significant. I would think about putting stainless steel on the front if you plan on travelling gravel roads. I have to redo the front of my utility trailer every year or two due to rock chips and rusting.

Last edited by HunterDave; 10-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:05 PM

I had all this done colour matched. They hammer a guy pretty hard on the matched product so my advice if you go that way is know everything you want done and get it done in one shot. I missed two portions that I really should have had done and now if I want to do it I’ve got to pay that premium again to have it matched. I used Armaguard for the stuff pictures and found out later that I could get a discount through work at Linex. Good for thought anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2017, 09:21 PM

I used the canadian tire rock guard to paint the wheel wells on my ford escape, after fixing some damage caused by rust. It's by no means a professional job, but looks a lot better then it did. I also painted the rock guard (black to match the vehicle) and it covered up nicely. I am pretty happy with it so far.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:54 AM

I've used this stuff on quite a few things from vehicles, sleds, quads, and trailers. Spray on or roll it on, super easy to do yourself. Very reasonably priced.

https://www.durabakcompany.com/
Old 10-20-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I'm refurbishing an old vintage fiberglass boler camper trailer, I was thinking of spraying bedliner/ rockguard spray on the front and about 3" all around on te bottom. Can the spray stuff that you buy at Canadian tire in a can be painted? Has anyone used that stuff before or would you take it to the profesionals.
Forget the spray can stuff. It's air-dry. Do you have an air compressor. I see you're in Red Deer. Go to High Performance Coatings on Gaetz. Ask for a one gallon kit of HPC Rock Guard. Ask them to tint it to whatever color you like. Add the catalyst just before spraying. You'll need to ask for a Schutz gun to spray it. ( Theyre cheap). This is quality stuff.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 AM

If fixing old boler Can Tire products more than adequate. You may have to touch up in few years but at $10 a can price is right. My 2001 Dodge Ram looks like new as I just touch up with another can every few years, looks like never had any rust.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:06 AM

I've used the Canadian Tire rock guard on the bottom of a canoe. Worked great and is quite durable. Never tried painting it though.

The rock guard coating doesn't feel slick so I don't see why a good paint wouldn't stick to it. Rock guard dries fast, just spray some on a scrap piece of wood and then paint over it and see how well the paint sticks to be safe. The paint won't be nearly as durable as the rock guard though.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:12 AM

Any bedliner i have used and then applied paint to it after, resulted in a reaction and the bedliner bubbled and the paint would not cure properly.
I have painted alot of things in my days and have access to my companies paint booth and Endura product but have never been able to paint with bedliner and then apply a paint after the fact.

You are better off to go with the bedliner that has colour already in it.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:11 AM
Banned

Rockguard needs to be painted after. It is very porous and will actually hold water. After it is applied and tack dry, paint must be applied
Box liner (rinoliner, armaquard...) does not need anything on top of it after.
Rockguard is really only effective on dry, sanded, rust free body. If there is bare metal, an etching primer or epoxy must be used first
My advice? Canadian tire style rock guard is mostly useless, the way the average joe uses it. It needs to be painted. Instead of applying it after the rust is there is pointless. Instead pay a body shop to apply it properly then paint it, when you first buy the vehicle
Old 10-20-2017, 11:31 AM

I'd get raptor liner if I were you. DIY, and a great product