Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Default Plumbing question (sharkbite fittings)

For any plumbers out there... can you by code use sharkbite fittings behind a drywalled wall ? Or has anyone ever had bad or good experiences with these fittings out there ?
Old 10-18-2017, 01:17 PM

There's no code in that regard, if they're CSA approved that's good enough. Question is why you'd want to?

I don't trust the things, thought they can work in temporary cap situations. Every single one I have ever installed I have also removed when I completed the full repair or installation. Those things can look especially messy when the installer does not properly suspend the pipe due to the fact that they'll swivel and swing all over the place, they'll often look like MC Escher did the job.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 PM

I now have them below my Kitchen Taps( when I replaced them) as the idiot who built the house put soldered taps in between the floor joists instead of above and made it impossible for me to do it properly with solder again without risk of burning the place down. Then I used them on my late night hot water tank plastic hose replacement. Neither has leaked a drop in over 3 yrs of use. Knock on wood.

That being said, Mr Caber gave me the same advice when I asked about them here way back when. I would prefer solder and when the city finally moves my gas meter outside, I can access the copper pipe from below for my kitchen sink and re do the shark bite connections. I didn't feel comfortable soldering beside a gas meter.

When the new furnace goes in, they can solder my hot water tank as they will be shimming everything closer together.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:00 PM

Have used the sharkbites, love em, no issues
Old 10-18-2017, 03:18 PM

X2 on what cabor said. Don't look professional and I have seen them start to leak. Good to have in the van for emergency repairs for me, that's about it.