Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Exclamation Just got a question about a bad drone 'pilot'

I hate to refer to toy flyers as 'pilots' but that is apparently what they are demanding to be referred to as. I just fly them, don't need a title.

Anyway, IF you have concerns about someone flying where/when they should not be in an unsafe manner that you think could possibly cause damage to you, your property, or someone else's property, here is the link to file a drone report.
Transport Canada has a link for dangerous/'illegal' UAV operators, but honestly unless there is serious risk of harm I doubt they will do much. If it is annoying they may tell you to confront the neighbor, but if the neighbor is an ass and it is ongoing they may pursue it.
I would keep notes of where and when it is flying over your property or belongings, if possible get pictures of it, and also tell them when you reported to the RCMP and what was done. Names and dates help a ton.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...-incident.html

I would keep notes of where and when it is flying over your property or belongings, if possible get pictures of it, and also tell them when you reported to the RCMP and what was done. Names and dates help a ton.

I would keep notes of where and when it is flying over your property or belongings, if possible get pictures of it, and also tell them when you reported to the RCMP and what was done. Names and dates help a ton. If you know for certain who it is, pass that on to TC.

You will see on their page that IF YOU...blah blah you 'should call the RCMP' but I disagree with that. Call, email, fax, write Transport Canada, but the RCMP have more important things to do than chase after annoying sounds or drones watching your supermodel wife/daughter/aunt sun bathe in your yard.

(No disrespect intended to the person that messaged me, you know this )

Transport Canada is the one pushing these rules, if you feel threatened or the neighbor is an ass, call them and make them deal with it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-17-2017, 10:56 AM

Also, as an owner of many drones, I think every single time someone feels threatened they should file a complaint with Transport Canada.

The reason for that, and this is for the other drone owners, is when they are flooded with concerns for complaints about the very things they are telling people to report, and if they ever do investigate them they will realize that other than flying a drone through the 1/8" lexan windshield of a cessna 180 these things are not that dangerous.

Yes, they will cut your skin if you have direct contact with the spinning props. Yes they will dent a car if they fall from 400' up. MOST reasonable mature responsible owners are not the problem, it is the idiots on both sides. Garneau for his political posturing and whipping the public into a frenzy over the horrible dangerous drones and idiots that fly and hover over property not belonging to them.

10,000 unsubstantiated complaints per month will make for great numbers for Garneau, but when he has to answer as to how many caused personal injury or financial loss to anyone, I would bet he does not go into those stats.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-17-2017, 10:58 AM

sure would be nice to bring out the 'ol 12g if someone was flying one above your place.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:00 AM

I find the 12 gauge to be the most effective method of filing a complaint when it comes to these things. By the time any sort of enforcement shows up the drone and operator are long gone. Unless you find a pattern of when these events happen and you find an officer willing to wait for the event to happen again nothing will come of it. At best the operator might get a talking to.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-17-2017, 11:03 AM

The idealism about shooting down a drone is sad, very similar to vandalizing / removing a trail cam on crown land because your picture was taken..

Grow up and worry about yourselves people.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
sure would be nice to bring out the 'ol 12g if someone was flying one above your place.
What about when someone drives by, or walks by, or you know that 7 year old on the bike that rides by slowly every day could be scouting your place for his drug dealing daddy! Better load up for him too! People on horses? Must be doing it because they are nearly silent, they MUST be up to no good. You are in great danger!

Good grief. There isn't enough tinfoil.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
The idealism about shooting down a drone is sad,

So is the idea of people flying drones over private property, around house's, interfering with lawful hunts and using them to scout out property prior to thefts. I have seen one fall out of the sky and land in a lake next to a dock full of people. I don't know the cause (dead battery, loss of signal perhaps) but I would say that poses a significant safety risk to the public even if its not common. I have witnessed an operator intentionally snagging fishing lines with a drone. These things may be illegal now already but unfortunately still happen.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
So is the idea of people flying drones over private property, around house's, interfering with lawful hunts and using them to scout out property prior to thefts. I have seen one fall out of the sky and land in a lake next to a dock full of people. I don't know the cause (dead battery, loss of signal perhaps) but I would say that poses a significant safety risk to the public even if its not common. I have witnessed an operator intentionally snagging fishing lines with a drone. These things may be illegal now already but unfortunately still happen.
There is an established process to report illegal activities, use it.

Private property does not extend to the skies, can you imagine the taxes you would pay

Your logic would mean the chance of a fired cartridge would pose significant risk to abolish our rights to hunt.

There are idiots in all walks of life, I don't need or want more legislation to protect myself from these people. Or ones who shoot shat cause they don't agree with it.

Enjoy the decline.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:34 AM

Difference here is you can walk out to the road and talk to the kid on the bike, flag down the horse back riders and have a chat. The drone is a whole different can of worms and if you think it's not please explain how to have a friendly chat and find out what the story is with a noise machine going mach chicken around your backyard. Shot gun yup.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:48 AM

Talking Condolences to those Infected

Let's hope they find a cure someday
Old 10-17-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:

Private property does not extend to the skies, can you imagine the taxes you would pay

Your logic would mean the chance of a fired cartridge would pose significant risk to abolish our rights to hunt.

There are idiots in all walks of life, I don't need or want more legislation to protect myself from these people. Or ones who shoot shat cause they don't agree with it.

Enjoy the decline.
So your saying that if a drone were to fly over a flock of goose decoys set up in a farmers field and continuously flying a zig-zag pattern over the decoys and hunters its ok because no one owns the sky? To me that is interfering with a lawful hunt. Besides in that situation there is no way you couldn't prove there was a flock of geese coming in and your drone got in the way. One could also claim it was securing disposable evidence for the proper authorities.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
So your saying that if a drone were to fly over a flock of goose decoys set up in a farmers field and continuously flying a zig-zag pattern over the decoys and hunters its ok because no one owns the sky? To me that is interfering with a lawful hunt. Besides in that situation there is no way you couldn't prove there was a flock of geese coming in and your drone got in the way. One could also claim it was securing disposable evidence for the proper authorities.
Quote:
See above
Old 10-17-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
See above
Was it your drone that farmer shot down?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:45 PM

Smile

Quote:
Was it your drone that farmer shot down?
Soon, shotguns won't be needed anymore - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X27-2WDIZR0
Old 10-17-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
as an owner of many drones
Hey Ken,

I give up on drones. I keep breaking them and don't have the patience...

Would you have any use for an XK Air Dancer with a broken arm? Or do you know someone who can fix it so I can try to sell it? Was $500 new after everything was said and done.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickakooKookoo View Post
Hey Ken,

I give up on drones. I keep breaking them and don't have the patience...

Would you have any use for an XK Air Dancer with a broken arm? Or do you know someone who can fix it so I can try to sell it? Was $500 new after everything was said and done.
Get it to me. I will fix it for you

Old 10-17-2017, 04:21 PM

Default Gentelmen

This is much more serious than flying over some one's property. It looks like it is possible to bring down an aircraft on takeoff or landing. You may see them all banned and soon.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
This is much more serious than flying over some one's property. It looks like it is possible to bring down an aircraft on takeoff or landing. You may see them all banned and soon.
Respectfully I don't see a ban. Nothing in Canada is banned other than full auto weapons and mags that hold over 10 rounds. Oh and claymores ( ) and grenade launchers and blowguns and butterfly knives and ninja stars and suppressors. (I was going to say silencers but didn't want heads to blow off) All of these are weapons. Drones are toys.
Besides, Bestbuy, Staples, M&P drone stores, internet stores will never stop selling them, which means people will never stop flying them.
I talk to people all the time that fly drones, and some guys that half a year ago were talking about getting their SFOC's and insurance are now saying "catch me'.
One thing people forget about drones is that they have miles of range. You might think that it is your next door neighbor flying over your horses, but as long as the drone is in LOS you have control with any of the sub $1000 drones. That means that 5 miles away someone may be controlling it.
Where are the RCMP going to go to get it? I can sit in my truck and fly a drone miles away, which means there is a good chance I would never be found to prove it was me, IF I wanted to do so, but I personally do not.
Someone will grease some pockets, they will sponsor a Canadian drone company, there will be countless millions of dollars spent on Drones in the next few years and you can bet that The Libs will find a way to make money off them.
If drones get banned guns will be next. There are a hell of a lot more Anti-gun people out there, and look how far it has gotten them.
If you think hunting forums are big, you should check out drone forums.

Some interesting reading, took .00003 seconds on "the google"

Drones are also becoming an increasingly common holiday purchase, with sales jumping 445% in the 2015 holiday season.

Sales are expected to grow from 2.5 million drones in 2016 to 7 million in 2020—a 180% increase, according to a report from the Federal Aviation Administration.

The NPD group’s research also suggests that users tend to be more seasoned drone flyers, with 56% of people buying drones costing $500 or more.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-17-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:42 PM
Banned

They won't be "Banned" they will be prohibited

Old 10-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
They won't be "Banned" they will be prohibited

so not having looked because I do not have a 10/22 anymore, they really did make the 25 rnd mag prohib? Whats the fine for possession?

Just looked - stick something in the magazine so it holds only 10 and it is now legal? Lol thats effective.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 PM

Ken, you asked for feedback here are a couple things I see.

First, calling drone aficianados pilots is quite a stretch. My son has an RC car, doesn't make him a Formula 1 driver, if it was a toy semi, wouldn't qualify a Class one.

Second there's lots of controversy around their use. In your post #1, you advocate citizens policing drones, get their ID, report them to RCMP, TC, local cops, etc. Catch the irresponsible bad operators & make them pay. Five hrs & 15 posts later( in the very same thread), you are assuring us they can be operated from 5 miles away, Cops or anyone else haven't got a hope of catching them
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
so not having looked because I do not have a 10/22 anymore, they really did make the 25 rnd mag prohib? Whats the fine for possession?

Just looked - stick something in the magazine so it holds only 10 and it is now legal? Lol thats effective.
The “fine” for possession is 3-10 years I believe. It’s on the same level as having a hand grenade.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:16 PM

Default Drones

If I were to see a drone hovering for any amount of time over my place it will go down never to be seen again
Old 10-17-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Ken, you asked for feedback here are a couple things I see.

First, calling drone aficianados pilots is quite a stretch. My son has an RC car, doesn't make him a Formula 1 driver, if it was a toy semi, wouldn't qualify a Class one.

Second there's lots of controversy around their use. In your post #1, you advocate citizens policing drones, get their ID, report them to RCMP, TC, local cops, etc. Catch the irresponsible bad operators & make them pay. Five hrs & 15 posts later( in the very same thread), you are assuring us they can be operated from 5 miles away, Cops or anyone else haven't got a hope of catching them
Read the very first line of this thread.

I feel the same, the handle does not fit. I do not call myself that.
And yes.
It's the truth, both statements. I said that just because there is a drone in the air it doesn't mean there is someone standing under it. The good ones have tremendous range for a toy.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
The idealism about shooting down a drone is sad, very similar to vandalizing / removing a trail cam on crown land because your picture was taken..

Nah, if I am in the back yard, country and some hammerhead wants to buzz my house, drop down and have a looksie well if I can't reach it with the shovel, slingshot and the bs continues long enough maybe the operated will hear a distant boom and loose his visual contact too....as with all equipment respect is the key word but some don't seem to have it and wreck things for others then the law step in and regulates the heck out of a simple fun past time...because of a few hammerheads.

Growing up is all about actions and accountability to those actions.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 AM

What kind of range do these drones have?
Old 10-18-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
What kind of range do these drones have?
DJI Phantom 4 Pro has a controller range of up to 7km.

Rules say you have to stay within visual line of site. Farthest I have had the Phantom 4 out is 800m and it is just a speck on the horizon. With our SFOC we are limited to 1/2 nautical mile out or about 900m.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
The “fine” for possession is 3-10 years I believe. It’s on the same level as having a hand grenade.
I thought because of some lawsuit they were only enforcing the sales and use of the high cap mags. I seem to remember something being posted on the forum about still being able to own them until the suit is finished. I dont own any of the high cap mags so I haven't followed the suit to closely.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I thought because of some lawsuit they were only enforcing the sales and use of the high cap mags. I seem to remember something being posted on the forum about still being able to own them until the suit is finished. I dont own any of the high cap mags so I haven't followed the suit to closely.
i have only heard of confiscation at this point if you are caught with them. but they are considered a prohibited device, which is on the same level as brass knuckles and hand grenades.

they theoretically could charge you, but its undetermined whether its actually legal as the law hasnt changed.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM

Default Think it is ok to shoot down a drone? Guess again, same here.

https://www.facebook.com/JacksonCoun...39400462789143

DRONE ARREST - On Wednesday, October 18, 2017, deputies arrested a Central Point man for shooting down a drone at a popular county recreation area. Christopher David Grindstaff, 33, turned himself in to deputies after hearing about the case online. He was lodged in jail on one count of criminal mischief in the first degree, a Class C felony.
On October 17, at 5:35 pm, the victim called to report his personal drone had been shot down while flying over the Hoover Ponds recreation area. The victim posted photos and video of the incident on Facebook. He later provided deputies with video and images taken by the drone as it was flying.

Grindstaff can be seen in the video standing next to his vehicle, a gray 1994 Isuzu Trooper. In a close-up view of the footage, he appeared to be pointing a rifle toward the drone, just before the drone crashed to the ground. Deputies determined the involved weapon was a high-velocity air rifle using .177 caliber pellet ammunition. The value of the drone was estimated at more than $1000.

The case will be forwarded to the Jackson County District Attorney's Office for prosecution. It will also be sent to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) for review.

Yes, this is the States, but wilful destruction of property in Canada with a firearm is also illegal. Dangerous use of a firearm, (unaware of backstop), mischief, etc