Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 AM

Default Something up with Tesla??

http://oilprice.com/Alternative-Ener...cord-Lows.html

Hmmmm...I wonder...
Old 10-17-2017, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
manufacturing only 260 last quarter despite a wait list of more than 450,000 customers
Maybe China needs to show them a thing or two.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
Their over promising and underdelivering finally caught up to them..

I mean.. who in their right mind would put a deposit down on a car a year in advance from a questionable company... Isheeple.. idiots..
Old 10-17-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post

I mean.. who in their right mind would put a deposit down on a car a year in advance from a questionable company... Isheeple.. idiots..

same people that "preorder" cameras and when they actually ship there's issues.

it's the new way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Yup just oversold themselves in the near and long term and people want out before the SHTF. Their valuation is ridiculous. So many people think because Tesla is first to scale up pure electric production that they will always be leader and dominate the electric market. For them to be valued at more than any other car company as they continually lose money and miss targets is simply ridiculous.

As soon as they make any kind or real cost breakthrough and/or the publics demand for electric increases already established car companies with massive existing infrastructure and talent will move in and likely crush them or at the very least severely limit their growth potential.

Electrics are coming but Tesla has a finite lifespan me's think's. At some point Elon's rhetoric just won't cut it for investors and they will force a sale to one of the big players. Better to let someone else do the R&D then buy for pennies on the dollar
Old 10-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
same people that "preorder" cameras and when they actually ship there's issues.

it's the new way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
but there's a BIG difference between ordering something from a known company that is a "small" purchase, and what Tesla is doing.

These were $60g cars that people had NO IDEA what it would look like or how far it could travel or how much it would actually cost.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
Yup just oversold themselves in the near and long term and people want out before the SHTF. Their valuation is ridiculous. So many people think because Tesla is first to scale up pure electric production that they will always be leader and dominate the electric market. For them to be valued at more than any other car company as they continually lose money and miss targets is simply ridiculous.

As soon as they make any kind or real cost breakthrough and/or the publics demand for electric increases already established car companies with massive existing infrastructure and talent will move in and likely crush them or at the very least severely limit their growth potential.

Electrics are coming but Tesla has a finite lifespan me's think's. At some point Elon's rhetoric just won't cut it for investors and they will force a sale to one of the big players. Better to let someone else do the R&D then buy for pennies on the dollar

I like that Tesla Kicked the other OEM's in the nuts and forced them to produce an electric car. But Tesla has had nothing but issues from day 1, from quality control, to fit and finish, etc. Frankly Tesla's days are numbered.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I have a builder friend who did and is driving one around here now. Neat car but it has it's limitations and quick charge stations are not as common as you think if you want to go farther than Calgary.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
but there's a BIG difference between ordering something from a known company that is a "small" purchase, and what Tesla is doing.

These were $60g cars that people had NO IDEA what it would look like or how far it could travel or how much it would actually cost.
There's lots of stupid people out there with way more money than brains. And Tesla knows it!

I'd like an electric car too some day, but sure as heck not now. Maybe 10+ years from now,
when all the bugs are worked out, and the Tesla Co is just a small footnote in history
Old 10-17-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I have a builder friend who did and is driving one around here now. Neat car but it has it's limitations and quick charge stations are not as common as you think if you want to go farther than Calgary.
The largest concern I've heard with those cars, is when the computer crashes, you supposedly don't loose control of the car, but you have of speed or available functions.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I like that Tesla Kicked the other OEM's in the nuts and forced them to produce an electric car. But Tesla has had nothing but issues from day 1, from quality control, to fit and finish, etc. Frankly Tesla's days are numbered.
They did that indeed and its not a bad thing but I think its laughable that people are investing based on the idea they can outcompete huge car companies that have been at the mass production game for decades and have tonnes of infrastructure already paid for with profitable ICE vehicles. I mean a good portion of an electric car is still the same or similar enough to an ICE vehicle that conventional car makers will adapt quick enough.

The big problem with Tesla losing money IMO is that it makes it clear they are selling cars at a loss even at a relatively high price point. That means even with supposedly inevitable cost efficiencies they are going to have to charge the same or more to actually turn a reasonable profit. Once the other players start pumping out alternatives for cheaper using existing infrastructure I think Tesla is toast. That's if they don't run out of investor money first...
Old 10-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Elon Musk has done very well for himself by milking the government out of tax payer money and producing very little in return!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Elon Musk has done very well for himself by milking the government out of tax payer money and producing very little in return!
Musk has some great ideas/projects, but his ability to implement them is where he falls short.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
The largest concern I've heard with those cars, is when the computer crashes, you supposedly don't loose control of the car, but you have of speed or available functions.
I have been eyeing the e-Golf here (would be more attractive if they offered the rebates here in Alberta that the Ontario government offers). Some users were reporting issues where the vehicle would not just lose power, but brake to a full stop when the system crashed.

Ad some users are accidentally hitting the Start/Stop button while changing drive modes... Causing the car to shut down.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:48 PM

A few months ago I was reading an article about Tesla sales in China from month to month. They had some reasonable numbers such as high 70's or low 80's per month in one city (or perhaps it was a region or specific dealer, those details evade me), the sales were steady for a spell but once the government subsidy on that car was cancelled the sales plummeted to something like two or three. A business whose sales depend heavily on subsidies are only a political decision or an election away from not being able to continue.

The solar roof concept may have some legs though, if executed aside from the current smattering of installs on the homes of Tesla exec's.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:50 PM

I don't know - but Zerohedge (where the original article came from) Zero Hedge is (quote from Wikipedia) ......

an English-language financial blog that aggregates news and presents editorial opinions from original and outside sources. The news portion of the site is written by a group of editors who collectively write under the pseudonym "Tyler Durden" (a character from the novel and film Fight Club).

Zero Hedge's content has been classified as "alt-right",[3] anti-establishment, conspiratorial, and economically pessimistic,[4][5] and has been criticized for presenting extreme and sometimes pro-Russian views.[1][6][7][1]

I don't know much about them, but it would seem they may have an agenda closely tied to oil/gas.

I think with so much of this "fake news" being packaged/re-packaged or outright fabricated who knows what's what anymore. I'm not saying this is a total fabrication, or that's it is or isn't 100% accurate - I don't know but I do take the source's credibility with some caution.

All of a sudden CNN looks neutral or trustworthy ......... lol.

Either way - Tesla is definitely facing some serious challenges. Not sure what to add really.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:25 PM

Can anyone say Bre-ex
Old 10-17-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Can anyone say Bre-ex
That was fraud.

This is poor management.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:31 PM

This will complicate things for all lithium batteries.

Cobalt stand-off key to future of electric vehicles

Tussle between cobalt producers and Volkswagen highlights a key battle

https://www.ft.com/content/ebf70f78-...9-abaa44b1e130