Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-07-2007, 12:46 AM
7 REM MAG

Default Wolf hunting

Just wondering if anyone here goes wolf hunting at all, im bound and determined to kill one this spring and was just wanting some tips and info. i will be hunting north of barhead and mostly baiting. any info will be put to good use and greatly appreciated, pm me if you dont want any info gettin out, i promise ill keep your secret
thanks, 7
Old 03-07-2007, 10:08 AM
The season is over

Default The season is over

Check the regs. Unless you're trapping on private land the season for wolf is over. As well I would think that by this time of year the fur is well rubbed and not at its prime.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Grizzly Adams

Default Re: The season is over

Sorry Tamid, you're wrong on that one. The season won't be over till the end of Spring Bear. As for fur, it's probably not as good as could be, but I got one in March 2 years ago and he still had a good pelt.
I was out a couple of weeks ago to hunt that area where the feral horses were supposedly shot, but there was no sign of wolves, or horses for that matter. Got a tip that there are lots of wolves, and horses, hanging out on Mc Cue Creek south of the Mountain Aire. Maybe, they're stalking the homeless people "employed" there. :rollin The Sundre Fish and Game club are paying a bounty of what amounts to 350. per wolf, to a maximum of 25, killed within a defined area.
Grizz
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
kellyandbeth

Default there_is_more

The Sundre Fish and Game Association is offering $200 for each wolf killed. An additional $150 comes from Sundre area trappers and cattlemen, said Bracken, who is a member of the association.

Debbie Schroderus, past vice-president of the Alberta Trappers Association, said the reward is not available to all trappers. They must belong to the Sundre local of the Alberta Trappers Association.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
varmitr

Default Re: there_is_more

7 rem i got no plans this weekend, im in for a rocky to drayton area hunt.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:33 PM
7 REM MAG

varmit myself and drake are planning on doin a little huntin this weekend, we can possibly do the draton thing let me know what you have planned and when you have time if it is saturday or not and ill talk to drake to see what he was wanting to do but ill bet he'll be up for a good ol wolf hunt
Old 03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
sheep hunter

You might want to try a fawn in distress call 7....I know a few guys that have luck with them.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:28 PM
My Mistake

Default My Mistake

Grzz

You are quite right. I assumed wolf seasons were the same as coyote and ended at the end of February. Not so as the regulations point out.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Brady

Default Re: My Mistake

Hey guys, not sure if it is still the same way, but rose creek area west of alder flats used to have good wolf numbers. Been years since I been in there, so I don't know, but it might help you out a bit.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 PM
nube

7Rem mag, If you end up baiting them come and borrow a couple of my trail cams and get some pictures. It will also tell you what time they are feeding at.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:02 PM
jrs

Go between Robb and Cadomin!! I almost got eaten out there this summer by a large pack. I forgot to mention spots earlier as i wanted to thin them out myself. Thats the most i've seen anywhere in Alberta.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Brady

From what I have seen out hunting and scoutin, there are no shortage of them there wolves around Hinton. I have heard of guys that will sit on the higher banks of the Mcloed and shoot them off the river. I don't know if they bait them or not though. I have seen the most sign of them up around the Oldman Creek area in the last while.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:23 PM
7 REM MAG

yeah i was talking to my dad, i guess im just gonna wait it out till spring or winter and give her on all cylinders, the yotes will jsut have to suffice for now
Old 03-08-2007, 02:09 PM
AlbertaHunter

Default re

Yo jamie till brian to take you out to where me adn scotty went chicken hunting and where me him and brett went that one year, west on 53 he'll know what im talking about. The pack is around the roads brett was outt ehre last week and seen two just of the roads miday also some wicked cuts to call in there with almost no undergrowth.

chris