Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-05-2007, 03:04 PM
warby

Default Spring bear in the south

How many of you hunt spring bear in the southern part of the province and where abouts do you go?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
shotgun

I have gone for spring walkabouts down in 300 but with limited success. Probably not from lack of bears but a lack of real effort since there are lots down there.

I have always wanted to go on a hunt over bait but no baiting down south and I would not know where to start up North, locations, setting up bait, etc.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Scott N

I go out for a few days every spring even though I have yet to shoot a bear. We usually go to the Beaver Mines / Castle River area. Nice country, even if the bears won't cooperate.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
jrs

I have tried quite a bit. We've had a chance to shoot one in WMU 300 (was just small, it was late in the day and far from truck so we passed, only a 5' or so) but permission can be hard in the spring (farmers busy, don't want guys everywhere) and grizzlies seem more plentiful than blacks. Nice time of year to be out however.

Edit, thought i'd add the bear huntings usually best come fall in the area. My buddies remove a few each season, nothing huge yet (6.5' biggest) but lots of color morphs. Castle and area on the berry patches. The have seen up to 10 a day on the one mountain towards the ski hill. Up to 7 grizzlies in a day also, that more than theres supposed to be if i remember correctly :lol
Old 03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
warby

Thanks gents I appreciate your 2 bits. I don't sappose that I guy would see bears in similar spots in the spring as where they've seen them in the fall? I'd imagine they use different food sources at different times of the year? I ask this because I have friends that have taken bears in the "gap" in the fall but never went bear hunting in the spring. They've offered to "guide" or help me but would this be the blind leading the blind?
Old 03-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Scott N

warby,

I'm no expert, but I've been told to look for south and east facing slopes for spring bear. These areas will get the most sun and the first green vegetation showing up in the spring. Bears will be looking for this type of food once they come out of hibernation.

I still have yet to harvest a bear, but I will be out again this spring looking!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:48 PM
jrs

I have found in the Castle and surrounding area they use different habitats. Best bet would be to find any cutlines or southfacing slopes that green up early. I can't think of any specific awesome spots but theres some decent areas up Lynx Creek. The berry patches make it easy come fall.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:06 PM
warby

I sure appreciate all the help guys. It's my first bear trip and I don't want to be under prepared. Thinking of going the second week in May. Not sure where we'll start. Where we'll stay or even exactly where we'll hunt as of yet. I just know that I really....really....really want a bear. Any further suggestions gents please toss them my way, I ain't too proud to accept any/all help.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM
jrs

Default Second week May!!

If i was going that time i'd head north. Some much much better areas. Otherwise, try private land bordering the park, trust me on that one. I rarely go through without seeing them in Waterton during the warmer months.