Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 PM

Default Big Buck shot Spirit River? What's the real story? Big tine adventures

Here's a picture of a big buck sent to me by my BIL. Said it was shot by an outfitter near Sprit River. Any one know if that's true? Or what's the real story?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (143.7 KB, 3692 views)
Old 12-01-2013, 12:11 AM

Facebook big tine adventures, the story is there or are you implying that isn't the real story....?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:45 AM

Seems like every one of these monster buck stories has been a hoax lately if this one is true that's a real hog. Hopefully an Alberta boy took that one
Old 12-01-2013, 01:13 AM

Must be fake... no one is smiling.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:52 AM

I know for a fact 4 outfitters from alberta shoot penned deer just to butter up their web page to attract new clients look at great white holdings website notice the split ears (ear tag) would be nice to see the right ear on this pet. Light coloured horns (no bush to get the dark colour makes for a easier hunt.) IMO pretty crafty but don't really give a damn I'm not the guy paying $$$ to come to alberta to shoot the 140s &150s these guys harvest.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:39 AM

Pretty sure this one is true boys. This guy shoots monsters year after year. I know one of his guides very well and he puts in more time preparing for the hunt than any one i know. Good for him, great deer!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
Pretty sure this one is true boys. This guy shoots monsters year after year. I know one of his guides very well and he puts in more time preparing for the hunt than any one i know. Good for him, great deer!
Good for you for supporting a poacher!! How that guy is allowed to even operate with the stunts they pull up there is beyond me. Gotta love his trail cam pics of monster bucks eating off a grain pile in the middle of November. I suppose there not hunting over it though, right!

I have friends that hunt crown and private land up there, the guy is a tool.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:56 AM

http://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/20...ing-in-antlers
Old 12-01-2013, 08:01 AM

what a freak...to me mass is the least important of the wide heavy and tall criteria. sure id shoot at it until its out of the county or im out of bullets.

the law will catch up to him if there something wrong here, all we can do is ensure what your doing isnt unlawful.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-01-2013, 08:39 AM

The buck and picture are real. A U.S. client shot it Nov 27th.

The man is a poacher and although he was suspended from hunting after being convicted of selling wildlife the only charge F&W could make stick, he is still able to outfit. This is wrong and it shouldn't happen. I've been an outfitter and guide and we hate having these scum bags around too. I don't break the law but get painted with the same brush.

In the news article it also states that he was originally charged with 170 counts of various offences for the sale of wildlife. He was selling B&C WT and MD on E-bay and another site. Apparently all picked up sheds ? Minus the twenty some B&C deer he had mounted and supposedly killed by the time he was 25. A very shady character indeed.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail2013 View Post
I know for a fact 4 outfitters from alberta shoot penned deer just to butter up their web page to attract new clients look at great white holdings website notice the split ears (ear tag) would be nice to see the right ear on this pet. Light coloured horns (no bush to get the dark colour makes for a easier hunt.) IMO pretty crafty but don't really give a damn I'm not the guy paying $$$ to come to alberta to shoot the 140s &150s these guys harvest.
Why don't you list the outfitters since you know for a fact who they are ?
Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepcrazyguy View Post
Here's a picture of a big buck sent to me by my BIL. Said it was shot by an outfitter near Sprit River. Any one know if that's true? Or what's the real story?

Might be big, but looks like something you'd expect to find near a nuclear power plant. .

Grizz
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
The man is a poacher and although he was suspended from hunting after being convicted of selling wildlife the only charge F&W could make stick, he is still able to outfit. This is wrong and it shouldn't happen. I've been an outfitter and guide and we hate having these scum bags around too. I don't break the law but get painted with the same brush.
Obviously the honest, upstanding outfitters don't want to be associated with this kind of individual,so why is it, that these honest outfitters don't act as a group, to force APOS to deal with these lawbreakers? Is it that there aren't enough honest and upstanding outfitters to do this, or is it that most of the members of APOS simply don't care?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Obviously the honest, upstanding outfitters don't want to be associated with this kind of individual,so why is it, that these honest outfitters don't act as a group, to force APOS to deal with these lawbreakers? Is it that there aren't enough honest and upstanding outfitters to do this, or is it that most of the members of APOS simply don't care?
Perhaps APOS is more concerned with enforcing part 9 of their ethics guidelines then they are about 3, 4, 8 and 12: (link culled from Nocked's contribution to the Great White Outfitters thread) http://www.apos.ab.ca/images/stories...f%20Ethics.pdf
Old 12-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Wow! Monster! Hard to believe that horns could be so white up in the big bush country...
Old 12-01-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Wow! Monster! Hard to believe that horns could be so white up in the big bush country...
That is exactly what I just said. I hunted spirit river for yrs and have not once seen a light antlered wtail that was over 3 . 5 yrs old. EVER. Guided there for several years too.
Just saying.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:57 AM

I've found even close to home here that when the snow comes, the horns start turning lighter colors, almost white.

-Craig
Old 12-01-2013, 12:14 PM

After hearing right from a wardens mouth what happened with an outfitter last year being involved with the harvest of a fenced deer, these photos of hunters that have a guide sitting in the background behind monster deer leave me wondering if these are also fenced animals.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Good for you for supporting a poacher!! How that guy is allowed to even operate with the stunts they pull up there is beyond me. Gotta love his trail cam pics of monster bucks eating off a grain pile in the middle of November. I suppose there not hunting over it though, right!

I have also heard the exact same thing!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It's not that I wouldn't want to get rid of people like this, I'm sure if you took a poll almost every outfitter would vote Lloyd never was able to guide, outfit or hunt again and I wish APOS had more power and the ability to remove such parasites. It's not a perfect system I agree but they do work hard to try and please most. I realize that in GWH case there was no doubt of his guilt but in other cases I feel F&W has over stepped their power and charged people that didn't deserve it. Outfitters and Residents alike. I wouldn't want to lose my outfitting rights if I was on the wrong end of a power trip.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post

I am not supporting a poacher. Someone asked if they thought they were real. I chimed in saying i am pretty sure they were real. I see he was charged with selling sheds. Am i reading this correctly? Is there more. Also people make mistakes throughout there lives and we all learn from them. Maybe the man runs a first class operation now maybe he does not. I am sure if he does not he will be back in court.

Monster bucks eating over grain piles ( trail camera pics ) is that illegal? We are all tools in someone else's eyes including you and Myself my friend
Old 12-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
It's not that I wouldn't want to get rid of people like this, I'm sure if you took a poll almost every outfitter would vote Lloyd never was able to guide, outfit or hunt again and I wish APOS had more power and the ability to remove such parasites. It's not a perfect system I agree but they do work hard to try and please most. I realize that in GWH case there was no doubt of his guilt but in other cases I feel F&W has over stepped their power and charged people that didn't deserve it. Outfitters and Residents alike. I wouldn't want to lose my outfitting rights if I was on the wrong end of a power trip.
As a member, you and other members probably have more chance of influencing improvements and change at APOS than anyone. Does the policy I listed below not give APOS the authority to fine and punt GWH and others that may be convicted of crimes as well.

It is the responsibility of each APOS member:
 to be familiar with all APOS policies that govern business practices, treatment of others and general conduct,
 to act in a professional manner and take steps to ensure others involved in outfitted hunting do the same, and
 to cooperate in maintaining professionalism within the industry, including bringing attention to activity or behaviour that may be damaging to APOS.
All violations of the APOS Code of Ethics may be subject to a penalty ranging from letters of reprimand to fines to temporary or permanent forfeiture of allocations to the suspension or loss of an outfitter guide permit and/or guide designation.Alberta Professional Outfitters Society (APOS

Last edited by bobalong; 12-01-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
I am not supporting a poacher. Someone asked if they thought they were real. I chimed in saying i am pretty sure they were real. I see he was charged with selling sheds. Am i reading this correctly? Is there more. Also people make mistakes throughout there lives and we all learn from them. Maybe the man runs a first class operation now maybe he does not. I am sure if he does not he will be back in court.

Monster bucks eating over grain piles ( trail camera pics ) is that illegal? We are all tools in someone else's eyes including you and Myself my friend
He was not selling sheds. He was selling monster deer, elk, moose, etc. Have a buddy who had a run in with him on crown land last year. Bud was out hunting over a large elk wallow with incredible sign when Mr. Big Tool Adventures shows up on his quad and tells buddy to beat it because he is on private land. My buddy argued with him that it was 100% crown land and to hit the road or he would report him for disturbing his hunt.

The oufitter we are talking about storms off but proceeds to rip his quad up and around the hunting area until dark, to be sure my buddy who was out hunting was guaranteed not to see any elk. Pretty shady.

There is more than a few guys in the Spirit River area that have dirt on this guy. Anything to get clients a big trophy animal.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I also personally would not want to see someone lose their livelihood over a minor infraction nor a one time thing.
It depends what that one time thing is, if it's a serious offense, then the outfitter deserves to lose his allocations. If it is a very minor offense, I can see a fine for a first offense, but repeat offenses need to be dealt with more severely.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:01 PM
Gone Hunting

...and if APOS had the slightest bit of interest in curtailing this behavior, rather than condoning it
1) why charge $100.00 to file a complaint?, shouldn't they want to hear of problems?
2) why is it the only complaints they will look at are from clients, if a resident sees something that is against the law, they will not even look into it?
pretty cozy old boys club, the President should change his name to Boss Hogg...sickening!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:07 PM

What a Buck!....must be a moose\whitey Hybrid
Old 12-01-2013, 04:18 PM

Blake great deer keep it up
Old 12-01-2013, 04:34 PM

Stud of a deer!
Old 12-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
It depends what that one time thing is, if it's a serious offense, then the outfitter deserves to lose his allocations. If it is a very minor offense, I can see a fine for a first offense, but repeat offenses need to be dealt with more severely.
I agree as well. Something really should be done to these repeat offenders.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Banned

Deers not fenced, pure old majestic alberta whitetail. They have his last years sheds and they scored around 250... He lost a lot of bone this past winter. The light antlers are caused by the old boy being a fan of poplar and aspen to rub.... Willow and alder is red and spruce, fir and pine are black or brown...

Yes Blake as had trouble in the past. And once you have that on you it can be hard to shake. Though I know for a fact Blake doesn't f##k around like that anymore, he has good reputation with dozens of land owners and knows how to kill big deer like no other.

Hate all you want, ever year I can't wait to see what he puts on the ground.
Closed Thread