Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKON View Post
, I wished it was that easy...lol .. Really!!!
From my experience during the rut the mature bucks mainly come by a bait to scent check for does and alot of the activity is at night , just like any other form of hunting........
thats what im hearing from pretty well everyone i know that has done it. a friend killed a 244 inch buck afew years back. he is an outfitter is sask running numerous baits....be he wont hunt them himself. he says the biggest bucks just dont show up at bait during legal hours. alot of guys think its just throw out a pile of grain and pound a giant. that isnt reality though....
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
From my experience during the rut the mature bucks mainly come by a bait to scent check for does and alot of the activity is at night , just like any other form of hunting........
Bears certainly work that way , it's pretty easy to pattern them with a bucket and a quad.
I can't see a deer being an different .
Cat
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM

If we were allowed to bait deer during open season, I wouldn't feel any different ethically that any Sask hunter feels now. I feel baiting is more fair to a deer than pushing bush with a group of hunters.
And expect fewer hunter mishaps that pushing bush too.
JMO

TBark
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Actually if you look at all the data that is already out there, it is a very big leap and a gross assumption made be many..

As we all can attest, wintering habits find these deer crowding around hay stacks, leaking grain bins, ext. In all reality these are artificial man made buffets in a natural setting.. Even trying to eliminate these, deer feed in general areas depending on time of year and contact with the prion that causes CWD is inevitable..

If artificial "baiting" was a large contributor to the spread of disease, well the numbers from one side of the wheat boarder to the other would obviously be greater proving this theory.. It's not, almost identical patterns in Alberta vs. Sask along the boarder providing us all with data the proves our personal assumptions are not valid.
There are lots of questions surrounding CWD and it could be debated forever but the fact remains that crowding is proven to spread the disease...that's all I need to know.

As for CWD existing across the wheat belt...give it time. It's not another big assumption to guess where it started and why it's so prevelant along the Sask/AB border. It is slowly spreading like a cancer. Why create conditions that could increase the rate of the spread? What's the benefit to allowing baiting?
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
thousands of guys do it every year with bears. im sure they feel just fine about it.
besides...maybe you could explain the difference between that and sitting the edge of a hay field?

as for deer....ive never done it and never would. i already could every year in sask, but besides not being my style of hunting....guys i know that do it tell me it isnt the best way to kill giant bucks. it may bring a lot of little guys in, but the kind of deer im interested in is smarter than that.
I take it you don't watch CWT on the hunting channel, either their smarter than the average Joe or they have a more powerful attractant! They sure seem to have it figured out because they kill some Monsters on that show!!!!!
Old 12-06-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
No I was not part of the decision making process but it seems a fair assumption.
I disagree sheep , but it isn't your hunting area either
In fact as long as it didn't spread to the peace country your ok with it
Like alot of the posters here, as long as it din't affect them or their traditional hunting area , ( I've hunted 236 for 25 years)..... What a disgrace to see what went down along the border..... It comes down to politics , they were pressured to respond to the cwd , now they can throw their hands up and say well we tried..... Politics , and we continue to elk farm province wide
Go figure
Nikon
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
If we were allowed to bait deer during open season, I wouldn't feel any different ethically that any Sask hunter feels now. I feel baiting is more fair to a deer than pushing bush with a group of hunters.
And expect fewer hunter mishaps that pushing bush too.
JMO

TBark
it is also up to the individual on whether or not the want to do something - just becuasse it is legal, des not mean that you HAVE to do it or you won't get an animal!
Lots of stuff and equipment is legal that I do not use, and I have talked to a lot of people who cnnot for the life of them figure out why i don't.

Hunting bears over bait or using a 12 or a 10 gauge semi for waterfowl are just two of them.....
Cat
Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
If baiting is so bad for deer why is it that as soon as a person crosses the border into sask you'll see way more deer? I think it would help deer through the tough winters.
If it was legal it would be a huge advantage to the hunters baiting and a huge disadvantage to any not baiting. So I would call it fairer for everyone to not bait but don't believe the cwd bs
Resident licenses sold

Alberta: 105,000+
Saskatchewan: 73,000+

Also, if you look at the boone and crockett entries you'll notice Saskatchewan has a much higher percentage. Fact, most mature bucks that will make boone and crockett are nocturnal, they don't leave the bush until dark to feed. If they can feed on a pile of food while still in the cover of the woods they will. I have seen bucks that almost left a pile in my pants in the headlights of my truck, that I have never seen during daylight hours by my cabin where I spend many many days both hunting and recreationally playing all thru the year. If I could bait deer, I can almost guarantee I would have a couple bucks over 200" on my wall right now, and if baiting was legal in Alberta I'm almost certain the B&C entries between Alberta and Saskatchewan would be way closer to par with each other.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:08 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I disagree sheep , but it isn't your hunting area either
In fact as long as it didn't spread to the peace country your ok with it
Like alot of the posters here, as long as it din't affect them or their traditional hunting area , ( I've hunted 236 for 25 years)..... What a disgrace to see what went down along the border..... It comes down to politics , they were pressured to respond to the cwd , now they can throw their hands up and say well we tried..... Politics , and we continue to elk farm province wide
Go figure
Nikon
Huh?

You asked why SRD baited during the culls...I speculated so they could kill a bunch of deer in short period of time...nothing more. How did you leap to these conclusions about what I'm okay with...sheesh...take a breath.

Why do you think they baited during the culls?

Last edited by sheephunter; 12-06-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM

What about growing food plots???
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM

When this topic came up a year or two ago, I did a little research and Alberta was one of only two provinces (with a deer season) that didn't allow baiting. (things may or may not have changed since)

Just thought it was interesting how some hunters think the world would end if it was legalized, or that everyone would be shooting 200" bucks.

Nobody would be forcing everyone to hunt over bait, it would just be another opportunity available to hunters, and I am always in favor of more opportunity - not less.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
There are lots of questions surrounding CWD and it could be debated forever but the fact remains that crowding is proven to spread the disease...that's all I need to know.

As for CWD existing across the wheat belt...give it time. It's not another big assumption to guess where it started and why it's so prevelant along the Sask/AB border. It is slowly spreading like a cancer. Why create conditions that could increase the rate of the spread? What's the benefit to allowing baiting?
Heres my problem, your assumptions ..... Thats my problem....
You say it's not another big assumption where it started..... along the border
I have one question , and it's my assumption they haven't tested thoroughly for cwd deep into the province of Alberta, have they?.... your assumption is it's spreading like cancer, ..... sheep are you buyin what they are selling.?... Have they done a mandatory head submission in the peace country?...... So can we assume it's actually spreading from the border , or we just don't have the funds to do head checks province wide?........ Now do you really believe this cull was going to stop the spread of cwd?..... When we continue to elk farm ( province wide)assuming the start of the disease was spread by elk farming...... Hey sheep no one is getting mad as your assuming again, just debaiting your assumptions.....I have many unanswered questions, and alot of assumptions
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Heres my problem, your assumptions ..... Thats my problem....
You say it's not another big assumption where it started..... along the border
I have one question , and it's my assumption they haven't tested thoroughly for cwd deep into the province of Alberta, have they?.... your assumption is it's spreading like cancer, ..... sheep are you buyin what they are selling.?... Have they done a mandatory head submission in the peace country?...... So can we assume it's actually spreading from the border , or we just don't have the funds to do head checks province wide?........ Now do you really believe this cull was going to stop the spread of cwd?..... When we continue to elk farm ( province wide)assuming the start of the disease was spread by elk farming...... Hey sheep no one is getting mad as your assuming again, just debaiting your assumptions.....I have many unanswered questions, and alot of assumptions
Speaking of assumptions.....I don't hunt the Peace Country.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Speaking of assumptions.....I don't hunt the Peace Country.
Speaking of assumptions, see what I mean
Never assume , just saying
Assumptions make an >>>>>>>, well we know the rest
Enjoy your day
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Please elaborate on this "experience" you have....

Sheep, I think your first post hit a nerve with someone....
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM

True cat, we don't have to partake in all types of hunts and use all the gear we can within the law.
Myself, I won't do the cougar thing, nor have I taken a bear at a bait, that's just me, but I do bait bears in the spring, they give me great footage on my cams.
But hunting laws change in time, likely in the future, deer baiting in AB on private land to start, I'd believe it, just the way things go, change happens.

TBark
Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Does anyone honestly belive they would feel good about there selves after shooting a animal that had been baited for months prior and felt no danger when coming in for lunch? More like shooting a domestic animal...Would get alot of guys out of their trucks though i bet and probably alot more ethical kills. IMO
The same way we feel good about killing an animal on a trail that leads to lunch(100 acre field with grain on the ground). If that deer felt danger being on that trail he wouldn't be on it. So waiting on a fence line to shoot a deer that is feeding on a field of grain is more ethical than waiting for a deer to feed on a pile of grain. Glad I learned something today.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Please elaborate on this "experience" you have....

Sheep, I think your first post hit a nerve with someone....
cb

Not sure what your getting at?...., Please elaborate on this "experience" you have....If your assuming I bait for deer in Alberta , the answer is no , sask only .....
Hit a nerve, yah you can say the cull has hit home with me and all the assumptions that go with it, UBET
Old 12-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Well in the winter of 2010 I know I was defineatly a facter in the reason why a lot of deer made it through the winter. I put out close to 1500 bushels of grain because the deer were in severe trouble. Because of my contributions there were many good quality bucks made it through the tough winter. Especially the mature bucks that were wore down from the rut. That's all a bunch of B. S about the cwd. A very very small amount of deer if any actually die of cwd. Im speaking of the percentage of deer. That extended season over along the eastern border was ridiculous. There was no need for it. I do not and never will be in favour of baiting deer to hunt over a grain pile. That's just an easy way to sit on your butt and call yourself a hunter
Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Default bait

you can't expect stores to take baits and attracts off the market.. thats just stupid and would not help at all because any smart hunter isn't baiting with the stuff sold at stores.... come on now. if someones gunna bait they go out to Viterra or UFA and buy a bag of something or more then one. Find some peas, oats, grain. whatever it is. they will find it no matter how many stores take baits off the market guys will still buy and use them.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM

Default Yah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
thats what im hearing from pretty well everyone i know that has done it. a friend killed a 244 inch buck afew years back. he is an outfitter is sask running numerous baits....be he wont hunt them himself. he says the biggest bucks just dont show up at bait during legal hours. alot of guys think its just throw out a pile of grain and pound a giant. that isnt reality though....
That has been my experience in SASK. just so thats clear. Lol
I had a beautiful 6x6 hit my bait one afternoon the week before i could hunt. All the rest of my pics of him were at night. I had about 3 nights shots of him. I believe he bred the does near my location for a couple days and moved on.
Sat 3 days in my blind. Before my road to my stand blew in. Never seen this deer again. I was thinking of posting pics of him but fear neg ridicule of a few posters here. It's not as easy as a guy thinks. Loads of work and endless hours of sitting. I was watching an episode of live to hunt last night. Took Kelsey 2 years to harvest a buck they were after and sounds like endless hours of sitting hoping he would make a mistake and show himself during legal light. . But some guys are just plain lucky and can harvest a big deer every year. Hung my Sask tag on the wall of shame this year. Lol. Next year , hoping the sixer i'm after makes it through the season. He's a whopper and could possibly put a few more inches on him next year.
Nikon
Old 12-06-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
I take it you don't watch CWT on the hunting channel, either their smarter than the average Joe or they have a more powerful attractant! They sure seem to have it figured out because they kill some Monsters on that show!!!!!
Well the "reason" would be experience and dedication to the passion of the whitetail deer Knowing when to hunt a stand and knowledge of where to set-up and why has the CWTV team tipping over mature deer every season.. One thing about CWTV, average people with full time jobs sharing their passions with the general public, these are NOT full time outdoor producer types, only Pete..

Something to think about, the AO idol, Cody who kills monster donkeys does this with-out the use of bait, obviously because the Mule deer is not similar in habits as the whitetail.. So Cody does bait for whitetails but his success rate is actually poor in comparision to his mule deer accomplishments.. What does this tell our community ? Cody is an amazing sportsmen with a passion for all species, but continues to struggle with the jumpers year after year, employing the same techniques as these part time others who get it done year after year

If "baiting" was the ticket, well I am pretty certain Mr. Robins would be show casing many a 200 inch purdy deer as opposed to the giants with big ears...
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM
sheephunter

So if baiting is that ineffective...why would anyone want to see it legalized here? I'm still looking for the upside.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 AM

...Baiting.... electronic calls....satillite/phone trail cams...Hey lets all put on a silly hat in front of the putor and shoot the bow/gun remotely with one finger lol...

Sorry JMHO

Neil
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM

The one reason why I would love to see baiting would be allowed would be because I think it would stop atleast some guys from road hunting and driving around the fields. And if ya don't like it, then don't do it simple as that
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Banned

I think allowing baiting in Alberta would minimize all the tresspassing, road hunters, and wounded game. There are definately some positives to the practice. I would think all the private land owners would be all for it.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM

if you count how much "supplement" is sold in Alberta, you think baiting is legal....
I think it will become legal in the near future, some groups will find a "valid" argument to make it legal (the food plot industry or example) just like "paid" hunting on private land... where there is a buck to be made.... you know the rest....
it will be your choice to bait or not to bait, but it will become legal, sooner than we think.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Well the "reason" would be experience and dedication to the passion of the whitetail deer Knowing when to hunt a stand and knowledge of where to set-up and why has the CWTV team tipping over mature deer every season.. One thing about CWTV, average people with full time jobs sharing their passions with the general public, these are NOT full time outdoor producer types, only Pete..

Something to think about, the AO idol, Cody who kills monster donkeys does this with-out the use of bait, obviously because the Mule deer is not similar in habits as the whitetail.. So Cody does bait for whitetails but his success rate is actually poor in comparision to his mule deer accomplishments.. What does this tell our community ? Cody is an amazing sportsmen with a passion for all species, but continues to struggle with the jumpers year after year, employing the same techniques as these part time others who get it done year after year

If "baiting" was the ticket, well I am pretty certain Mr. Robins would be show casing many a 200 inch purdy deer as opposed to the giants with big ears...
Agreed with everything you said, but dont think for a minute that their is not a bunch of guys on this forum that don't have the skills nor the passion to hunt just as hard as these guys do...but without the attractant it adds a whole new perspective to the hunt and i seriously doubt without it half the deer they killed would have been killed! In fact i would challenge them to drop the bait pile for a year and try it! That being said i do have a tremendous amout of respect for these guys and i love the show...
Old 12-06-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
So if baiting is that ineffective...why would anyone want to see it legalized here? I'm still looking for the upside.
I don't think anyone is saying baiting is ineffective, just not a sure thing ! Reminds me a little of the suffield hunt actually, like 6000 tame elk and only 200 tags, should be a sure thing and take an hour or two
Old 12-06-2012, 11:50 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
I don't think anyone is saying baiting is ineffective, just not a sure thing ! Reminds me a little of the suffield hunt actually, like 6000 tame elk and only 200 tags, should be a sure thing and take an hour or two
Fair enough but again...what's the upside?