Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-13-2012, 09:13 PM

Take some time to contact ESRD and talk to them about your concerns.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
Thank you Al, splitting them should reduce wait times for both.
no it will not. It will just make them longer as most will choose one and 999 the other increasing the number of priority to a stupid amount to draw tags.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledeerking View Post
no it will not. It will just make them longer as most will choose one and 999 the other increasing the number of priority to a stupid amount to draw tags.
One or the other not both. Bowhunt or not to bowhunt that will be the question!
Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
One or the other not both. Bowhunt or not to bowhunt that will be the question!
i was told it was going to be just lik antelope draw if it does go on draw. so you can apply for both.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:56 PM

Sorta really deafeats the purpose if that's the case.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
That would only skew kills to the rifle side though....my point was, any kill in the archery only season would be counted as an archery kill and any kill outside of those seasons wouldn't be. Likely the archers are getting some freebies in the stats....not likely something to complain about. I think the real concern is the kill in the non draw portion of the season...not in the draw portion.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I've been asked what weapon I used the last few times I participated in surveys. Can't guarantee it but pretty sure. While SRD does take some liberties, I suspect they have some basis for determining archery kills since they are basing this change on that. I think that arguement is a non starter potty.
Gotta disagree there SH. Seeing as we haven't actually seen, or verified any of their paper work, their numbers, or their data all we can do is hope and assume.

There's no telling where they classified a mule deer harvest in northern Alberta in late sept?

The other thing is, there is barely enough money and man power for Srd to do there jobs effectively. Now they have money and man power to collect, allocate, organize, and verify the data? Or even when the other organizations had it, do you honestly believe that it was collected and organized correctly, by a volunteer ?

I'm pretty sure there is no choice of weapon, on the surveys. I filled out 9 of them last year, I think I would remember.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorta really deafeats the purpose if that's the case.
why is that? This is the only way it can be. Your way would be a joke and would never happen.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Gotta disagree there SH. Seeing as we haven't actually seen, or verified any of their paper work, their numbers, or their data all we can do is hope and assume.

There's no telling where they classified a mule deer harvest in northern Alberta in late sept?

The other thing is, there is barely enough money and man power for Srd to do there jobs effectively. Now they have money and man power to collect, allocate, organize, and verify the data? Or even when the other organizations had it, do you honestly believe that it was collected and organized correctly, by a volunteer ?

I'm pretty sure there is no choice of weapon, on the surveys. I filled out 9 of them last year, I think I would remember.
No it is people like sheep that took all the info so it has to be rite. Know only if the dream money would show up so they could do there job correctly se we dont have to deal with this garbage every year.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
why is that? This is the only way it can be. Your way would be a joke and would never happen.
My way is a joke because your too greedy to give up one season for the enrichment and increased opportunity of all albertans?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Also, we all agree that Srd can't get it right with their grizzly bear facts and stats.

A.O was up in arms, and continues to fight a great fight in the big horn sheep discussions. Again we all agree their non existant numbers, with mandatory harvest reports, studies, and tracking collars are out to lunch.

But, now pitting hunters vs hunters, in the mule deer issues, they miraculously got it right? They are now going to take the necessary measures to effectively help the situationEspecially with the CWD fiasco they made. is this just a bandaid fix, to cover up their blunder with CWD?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
My way is a joke because your too greedy to give up one season for the enricishment and increased opportunity of all albertans?
LOL. everybody does have equal oppurtunity. You are the only one not smart enough to figure that out. As far as being greedy no I sure am not. I just dont like seeing us ALL loose oppurtunity annd after it is gone you never get it back. Also there is no hard proof anything is wrong other than a few that think it unfair to them cause they cant or dont want to bow hunt. So proov e me wrong Danny boy.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Also, we all agree that Srd can't get it right with their grizzly bear facts and stats.

A.O was up in arms, and continues to fight a great fight in the big horn sheep discussions. Again we all agree their non existant numbers, with mandatory harvest reports, studies, and tracking collars are out to lunch.

But, now pitting hunters vs hunters, in the mule deer issues, they miraculously got it right? They are now going to take the necessary measures to effectively help the situationEspecially with the CWD fiasco they made. is this just a bandaid fix, to cover up their blunder with CWD?
BINGO....

And dont forget about the whiners.LMFAO...
Old 10-13-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
LOL. everybody does have equal oppurtunity. You are the only one not smart enough to figure that out. As far as being greedy no I sure am not. I just dont like seeing us ALL loose oppurtunity annd after it is gone you never get it back. Also there is no hard proof anything is wrong other than a few that think it unfair to them cause they cant or dont want to bow hunt. So proov e me wrong Danny boy.
Prove you wrong? I bowhunt.

I ll give you an example, I saw 3 mule buck bow harvests in 358 in September. Prob the last 3 mule bucks in 358.

Assuming that 2 other bow hunters scored on mule bucks as well.
Now we have 5 mule bucks taken with bow. I assume there were prob more.

Next look at the draw summary, there's only 5 rifle tags issued for 358.
So now the bow hunters are prob taking 60-70 percent of the harvest.

In bowhunting defense, the season is only 3 weeks but still.
Your 15 percent for bow hunters are way out of wack!

Are they not?

Fair is fair, choose your faking weapon and deal with it.
Are you afraid of hunting only with your bow? Is thst what scares you?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
No it is people like sheep that took all the info so it has to be rite. Know
Think you need to lay off the caffine muleking......
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Think you need to lay off the caffine muleking......
Wasit not you that stated you helped do the counts and surveys?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Banned

Quote:

I ll give you an example, I saw 3 mule buck bow harvests in 358 in September. Prob the last 3 mule bucks in 358.

Are they not.

Lol. I have killed almost all animals with my bow. Any body can kill anything with a gun. So no I sure as hell am not afraid. Hell I have even killed a bighorn with my bow in an open season. So really you are telling me all the deer got killed In that zone by bowhuntets? Lol. Ya rite, sounds more like SRD not counting zones correctly or just not counting them. I had more then one biologist tell me they have not done 1/3 of the zone in many years. So again proove to me that this province has true and 100% factual info to truly change anything. So take your choose your weapon and cram it until you come up with factual proof to truly support a change for more then a fees personal agenda.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Also, we all agree that Srd can't get it right with their grizzly bear facts and They are now going to take the necessary measures to effectively help the situationEspecially with the CWD fiasco they made. is this just a bandaid fix, to cover up their blunder with CWD?
100%! Couldnt have said it better!
Old 10-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Banned

This is nothing more than another hunting opportunity lost. Bowhunters have very little effect on the mule deer populations. Those of us who bowhunt know how difficult it is to harvest a mule deer with a bow, at least where I hunt. I spend ridiculous amounts of time trying to get a monster and most years end up with nothing. Everything has to be absolutely perfect or you simply can't get an opportunity and most people either can not or aren't willing to put the time in that it takes to harvest an animal with a bow and arrow.

CWD, mismanagement, overharvest, and 2 very hard winters in a row did them in significantly in alot of areas, that is a no brainer. It is the fault of SRD mainly, simply because they don't know what they're doing. End of story.

Anyone know for sure what the ABA's stance on this is?
Old 10-14-2012, 07:52 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Wasit not you that stated you helped do the counts and surveys?
Absolutely not Justin.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 AM

So to sum it up , here again we have rifle hunters pitted against bowhunters .. Seems the bowhunters are gonna lose again and have their hunting opportunities lessened to make the rifle boys happy cause many of them CHOOSE not to bowhunt . And remember it is a choice . Wonder how the rifle guys would like it if the shoe was on the other foot and rifle season was at stake , about to be cancelled and give it to the bowhunters ? Got a feeling the uproar would be deafening .Then on the other hand maybe the rifle guys would become bow guys and find out what it's like to truly be a hunter ...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
So to sum it up , here again we have rifle hunters pitted against bowhunters .. Seems the bowhunters are gonna lose again and have their hunting opportunities lessened to make the rifle boys happy cause many of them CHOOSE not to bowhunt . And remember it is a choice . Wonder how the rifle guys would like it if the shoe was on the other foot and rifle season was at stake , about to be cancelled and give it to the bowhunters ? Got a feeling the uproar would be deafening .Then on the other hand maybe the rifle guys would become bow guys and find out what it's like to truly be a hunter ...
"put another log on the fire......"

LC
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Are they not?

But forcing people who hunt with multiple weapons to choose only 1 weapon to hunt is anything but fair. you seem to have issues with understanding what "fair" is. Forcing people to accept your twisted views is not fair.

I laugh at your example of 1 zone. it is a snapshot and very very short sighted. yes it was out of whack that year but you have to look at multi year averages and understand what has actually caused to imbalance.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
My way is a joke because your too greedy to give up one season for the enrichment and increased opportunity of all albertans?
your way is a joke. how is limiting EVERYONE increasing opportunity? you say they must choose their weapon, which limits many.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Just as I suspected. "I want, I want" not much different than others wanting what they want.

As for a tiered system for bowhunting, that is your brain child not mine.
All I said was choose your weapon, nothing about a tiered archery system.

By stating which weapon u will use, we would eleminate these guys that hunt with bows as opposed to the Bowhunters! As you put it!

So u want to keep your right to hunt mule deer every year, while increasing priority? Sounds like you want everything for yourself!

Good old Alberta, take what you can whir you can!
Scary
yup because I am the only one who can do that right???

holy christ man, its like talking to a child
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 AM

Bow hunters need to except the facts they are going over the 15 o/o in some zones.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggo View Post
Bow hunters need to except the facts they are going over the 15 o/o in some zones.
I think the main question many have is how is that 15% number determined.....and how accurate is it.....data obtained from a voluntary survey is VERY EASY to skew in one way or another.

If SRD or someone else can provide that it would be an easier pill to swallow.

Also if things are coming down to limiting all resident hunters...why do we not take back some outfitter and non-resident allocations?

Saskatchewan does it....why can't we? they seem to have a better "management" system/policies than we do.

LC
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think the main question many have is how is that 15% number determined.....and how accurate is it.....data obtained from a voluntary survey is VERY EASY to skew in one way or another.

If SRD or someone else can provide that it would be an easier pill to swallow.

Also if things are coming down to limiting all resident hunters...why do we not take back some outfitter and non-resident allocations?

Saskatchewan does it....why can't we? they seem to have a better "management" system/policies than we do.

LC
Don't disagree about sask they even have crossbow and muzzy seasons. But when you have zones with under 10 tags and you see 20 bow hunters every day you cannot convince me they are not going over
Old 10-14-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggo View Post
Don't disagree about sask they even have crossbow and muzzy seasons. But when you have zones with under 10 tags and you see 20 bow hunters every day you cannot convince me they are not going over
I agree that no doubt in certain zones the 15% limit it being met. I also would like to know how the 15% number was derived....

In these same zone how many tags are set aside for outfitters and non-resident hunters? IF 15% is "set aside" for archery but 50-60% is "set aside" for outfitters/non-residents....hacking on the 15% is a "band-aid" solution.

LC
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM

Agreed the outfitters have to take their hit too. My problem bow hunters will not even admit there is any thing wrong
Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I agree that no doubt in certain zones the 15% limit it being met. I also would like to know how the 15% number was derived....

In these same zone how many tags are set aside for outfitters and non-resident hunters? IF 15% is "set aside" for archery but 50-60% is "set aside" for outfitters/non-residents....hacking on the 15% is a "band-aid" solution.

LC
X2! Before taking our opportunities away maybe take the rich Americans who get to shoot a mule deer buck year after year while I wait 5 to 6 years to get drawn. The worst part is if you could afford to pay outfitter you can't cause your from Alberta. Just doesn't make sense to me?