Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-03-2012, 10:41 PM

Default Bino's - what do you recommend

Hi all

Looking to treat myself as it is that time of the year to buy my Safety Award. Was thinking about a set of Vortex Bino's and just wondering if anyone else is using them and what type.

Cheers

MM
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 AM

Default Vortex

I bought a pair of Razor HD's in 10x42 a couple of years ago. Very happy with them. Very clear and crisp throughout the sight picture. Wear them all the time with a mad dog bino harness and don't really notice them hanging there. I am very satisified and wouldn't hesitate recommending them at all. When I bought them I compared them to the Leupold HD and didn't notice any optic difference. What I did like on the Vortex is the Diopter setting. There were many small locking increments (clicks) you could adjust as required. Once set, a cover slid over top of the dial preventing the setting from being bumped. hope this helps.

Shawn
Old 01-04-2012, 12:32 AM

Vortex binos are the tits for the money!! Cant beat the warranty either....
Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder Man View Post
Was thinking about a set of Vortex Bino's
MM
how much are these vortex units?
whut are you doing mostly with these, truck scouting, bow, rifle, mountainous, plains, forest?

for budget purposes, spend the same amount as you would on a wedding ring for the misses.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 01-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
for budget purposes, spend the same amount as you would on a wedding ring for the misses.
What if I want a decent set of binos??
Old 01-04-2012, 01:13 AM

I've been using a set of Vortex Diamondback 8x42 this past year in all conditions and love the product and the customer service/warranty. My brother has the same. I've been doing most of my deer/bear hunting in BC in the bush and couldn't warrant spending more for the higher end models like the Viper or Razor for this use. The Diamondbacks give me great clarity for the cost of $250; and I'm not worried about scratching/losing them. I wouldn't venture into the Crossfire line.

If I was doing more hunting on the prairies I would spend the extra money on a Viper/Razor model and buy a x12 or x15 power bino for greater clarity at longer distances. Here in BC I rarely see/consider shooting game that is further than 150-200 yards away so the 8x42 is great. You also have to consider how much weight you want to pack around... the higher end models are typically heavier and weight will increase with higher power lenses and larger fields of vision. I have a friend who spent more money on a set of Razors in a x10 power and though he loves them in hindsight he wishes he went for a lighter and cheaper x8 power in a Diamondback or Viper line as the hunting he tends to do is also in the BC bush.

The only drawback I've found to the Diamondbacks is the objective lens caps only come with a friction fit retainer ring to keep them attached to the binos when removed. When it gets cold the plastic hardens up and these rings slip off easily. I lost one cap this fall just after sunset in 3" of snow to a branch that whisked it off; 20 minutes of pawing through the snow was unsuccessful as I hadn't painted them bright orange. I've resorted to using tape to secure these retainer rings to the binos but it isn't an ideal setup; I'm going to try some doublesided foam tape this next year; the same used to attach trim to cars. The eyepiece lens caps are connected together and come with a built-in loop that allows them to be attached to the harness strap; wish the objective lens caps had something similar or better.

Also have a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 riflescope on my 30-06 which is spectacular... know of 5 more that have never failed.

I also have compared Vortex to Leupold and have yet to be convinced that I would gain more than a slimmer wallet.

~Paul
Old 01-04-2012, 06:59 AM

I use Bushnell Legacy($250 range) 10-22 power by 50mm . the reason i live in the foothills and will be looking sometimes a mile or 2 at mill cuts and need the high power to really look at animals. i have use these for 30 years even in sheep hunting and i also have a spotting scope Bushnell with tripod and window mount another usefull tool.Liepold 1000 TBR rangefinder another useful tool ..as long as you have 8 power or more you should be good and of course the more money the better eye relief and optics usually.

Food for Thought
David
Old 01-04-2012, 07:20 AM

Default Best Binos

Vortex vipers!!!! I have a pair of vipers, my dad has a set of Ziess, both are 10 power, mine are clearer and mine have better low light transmission. the best part is mine cost $400.00 less and have a better warranty. Spend the $800.00 they will last a lifetime.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:41 AM

Mudder Man, I am in Red Deer as well. If you want to have a look through mine let me know. I have Vortex HD's and love em. I got a great deal at Huntfest last summer.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Looking to treat myself
what is your budget?

treating yourself could mean redfield binos and could mean Leica ultravids....depends what you want to spend.

of all the gear i own....my Leica Geovids are easily the best money i ever spent on hunting equipment.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
Cant beat the warranty either....
Thats what I heard about a month ago at a dealer. I will seriusly look at a pr for my next set.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 AM

I have the Vortex Viper HD's in 10x42. Extremely pleased with them.

Roy in Warburg had them priced at $660 taxes in. Cheaper than WSS at that time, not sure now.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Vortex do make a nice bino and there warranty is very nice but if i was to pick up a new set it would be a 10x42 Leupold Mojave

More comfortable to hold, really crisp and clear glass, the open bridge though minor does save on weight and i havent even had a problem with my leupold gear and korth isnt to far of a drive for me...
Old 01-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck-8835 View Post
Vortex binos are the tits for the money!! Cant beat the warranty either....
Minox are even clearer than the Vortex. Minox uses the same glass as zeiss, I believe. P&D has Steiners on sale
Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Default Binos

can you post which versions of minox? As they have a few different versions (BD, BL, BF, BV, BV2, HG, German, IF). I know Vortex is pretty good as my bro has a pair of, I believe, Vortex Fury 8x42 and they are all he needs. And they are pretty cheap. I won't knock Minox as I have never tried them but am considering them along with a new pair of Vortex for myself. My Nikons don't compare.

When I talked to Doug at Cameraland, I gave him a list of binoculars I was interested in as well as a price range and what they were going to be used for and he recommended the Vortex binos. (Steiners were included in the list I gave him). I suggest at least asking him his opinion as he definitely doesn't try to sell the highest end stuff, but helps fellow outdoorsmen.

Just my opinion. (not to mention their service was exceptional).
Old 01-06-2012, 04:43 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, Springer i will give you shout when i get off this Rig and out of the Bush someday....

MM
Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
Minox are even clearer than the Vortex. Minox uses the same glass as zeiss, I believe. P&D has Steiners on sale
For a while (during the 1990's), Minox was owned by Leica. Both originally camera companies. I believe that it is an independant company once again. Minox prices have dropped in recent years, as for quality of today's binos ??, I can't say.

http://www.ferniergc.com/
Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 AM

Default Diamondbacks

I have a set of Vortex Diamondbacks. I am not happy with them for the simple fact their light gathering ability is poor at best. The optics are reasonably clear, but not great. They are cheap at ~$250, and at that, I'm not too concerned about losing or damaging them. IMO the Leupolds, Minoltas, and Nikons are better value.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:22 AM

I'd say whatever one can afford.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM

I've owned and used a number of mid-priced bino's, and I've been most impressed by the Vortex Viper and the Columbia Timberline (made by Kruger Optical).
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrambler View Post
I'd say whatever one can afford.
I agree. Spend as much as you can on your glass and they should last a lifetime. I learned that lesson after going through 3 r 4 pairs of mid price binos. I then dug deep and bought Swaro's and I have had the same pair for close to 20 years now.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Hi all

Looking to treat myself as it is that time of the year to buy my Safety Award. Was thinking about a set of Vortex Bino's and just wondering if anyone else is using them and what type.

Cheers

MM
This intrigues me, tell me more. Am I missing out on a write-off of some sort?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Everyone should check out a Co. called zen-ray, very highly rated in the birding community. I've got a pair of the ED2's and honestly the first time I looked through them I was stunned. You buy directly from them and if your not satisfied you have 30 days to return for refund your out shipping, but then you'd be out that with any mailing co.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

I have a pair of 10 x 42 Vortex Diamondbacks and am very happy with them so far.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
what is your budget?

treating yourself could mean redfield binos and could mean Leica ultravids....depends what you want to spend.

of all the gear i own....my Leica Geovids are easily the best money i ever spent on hunting equipment.

x2, I absolutely love mine as well, finally bit the bullet and got them this year. Then I realized that they wouldn't let me use them at the 3D nationals (or any other 3D shoot for that matter) because of the built in rangefinder, so I looked for a pair of relatively inexpensive binos, and ended up with a pair of the Nikon Monarch X (not ATB), in 10.5x45. Gotta say, side by side, they don't give up a whole lot to the Leicas which cost 5 times as much! Very impressed with them, they are definately super for a backup/truck and 3D archery pair. If someone is in that $600 dollar range for binos, I would look long and hard at these, they are very impressive. Except for the stupid lens cap Nikon put on them, those you just should throw away, I don't know what they were thinking. But that is the only complaint, and you buy binos for optics, not fancy lens caps anyway. Still like the Leicas better, wouldn't ever trade them, but damn it if these Nikons aren't a very close second on them.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-08-2012, 10:57 PM

Default Cabela's

go to cabelas and the have a green pair that comes out of czech republic and cabela's puts their brand name on it they are super clear and the smaller pair is only around 600 bucks and the bigger pair goes for about 900 bucks
Old 01-08-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherbyhunter View Post
go to cabelas and the have a green pair that comes out of czech republic and cabela's puts their brand name on it they are super clear and the smaller pair is only around 600 bucks and the bigger pair goes for about 900 bucks
Meopta.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:25 AM

Just bought the Diamondback 10x50 this last fall ($280 CAC),love em!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the input guys, Springer i will give you shout when i get off this Rig and out of the Bush someday....

MM
Sure sounds good, just give a Pm ahead of time. Maybe take them out in the country for a real test. What i really love is how well they work in low light conditions before the sun goes down etc.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:35 AM

I have Swarovski,s and now I need a replacement part but have to send it back to the US for service No Cnd. Warranty places here!