Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2012, 05:40 PM

Default More pics...

Talking with VislasRock earlier about his pups planted a seed in my wife's brain, and out of the blue our plan to not get another dog until spring changed. Bob at Cedarwood Kennels responded to my inquiry email with "have a female waiting here for you Sept. 1st"

Enter "Kiva", the latest Pudelpointer.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:55 PM

Got Parker out for a hunt today. Started out cool enough but it warmed up fast, even though there was a bit of cloud cover.

Someone had already hunted the spot, because the Huns were busting at 30 yards or more. Missed a couple, then adjusted the second shot on a single hard left. A quick retrieve and our first bird of the season was in hand.

Took Parker out last week after returning from the 26 hours of driving to pick up Kiva (see earlier post), and was too groggy to identify the Huns that he pointed. They came up out of some brush and I was sure they were going to be pheasant chicks. By the time I figured it out they were long gone.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshcat View Post
If it walks like a duck..must be
... retrieved by a Pudelpointer, of course.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
... retrieved by a Pudelpointer, of course.
Hey PP:

You do realize that if you had pulled the trigger on a short-haired REDDOG pup, you'd have avoided any issues like the one yer dealing with with JoshCat...

Congrats on the new addition! Cool name - Kiva! And...bonus....she even looks like a PP!! (Yah, I know - them's fightin' words). Now when we get together later this fall, we'll be able to run pups together? Might even have to repeat our every six year meeting for NAVHDA NA in MT next spring. If all goes to plan, the reddogz are gonna take over that test next spring.

I'm jealous that you've all been out in AB already - our upland season isn't yet open. First bird down is always cause for celebration!! Don't mess 'em up too much before I get there for a visit!

Happy hunting all! Keep posting pics everybody...
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Pointing a Ruffie

Buckshows Britt, My Griff

The Elk hunting sucked!!! So I chased some Grouse

Where that bridge is, i spend a lot of bow season there, got 4 grouse this weekend.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:27 PM

All ribbing aside it's nice to see you guys bustin birds with you dogs. But if you ever want to step your game up I will have a litter on the ground next year
Old 09-10-2012, 05:51 PM

Had Briggs out with a buddy and his Munsterlander, Purdey and found a few ruffies. Dogs had a fun day...
SAM_0012resize.jpg
SAM_0015resize.jpg
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 AM

Default My new addition

Looks like the season to be adding pups to the collection.

So, here's mine - the girl that I kept from my older girl's recent litter. Still working on a name for her - but for now she's still 'Miss White' and along with few other select 'not-to-be-written on this forum' call names...

She's showing some good promise so far, like the rest of the litter - training her will be this winter's project.

Good luck to everyone else with young ones...get them out there!

Joshcat: You'll have to wait a few years now to see me take advantage of your offer to 'step up my game'... (I thought you said all ribbin' aside???). I'll have to find a way to show you a REDDOG's 'game' - I get a real kick outta 'converting' other breed owners from "the dark side" . All kiddin' aside, the very best of luck with your litter next year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day 51 - Miss White - resize.jpg (136.3 KB, 108 views)
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 AM

Good if you wait that long I will have my own line developed by then. Also your are in SK did you by chance run un the VHDF test last weekend at the Munsterlander club?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizlsasRok View Post
Hey PP:

You do realize that if you had pulled the trigger on a short-haired REDDOG pup, you'd have avoided any issues like the one yer dealing with with JoshCat...

Congrats on the new addition! Cool name - Kiva! And...bonus....she even looks like a PP!! (Yah, I know - them's fightin' words). Now when we get together later this fall, we'll be able to run pups together? Might even have to repeat our every six year meeting for NAVHDA NA in MT next spring. If all goes to plan, the reddogz are gonna take over that test next spring.

I'm jealous that you've all been out in AB already - our upland season isn't yet open. First bird down is always cause for celebration!! Don't mess 'em up too much before I get there for a visit!

Happy hunting all! Keep posting pics everybody...
Let me know as soon as you can what dates you are considering; I need a bit of lead time to get away from work.

How many dogs are you planning to run in the NA? If you hear about a test being set up let me know ASAP so I can get her in.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 PM

Big sky runs a test in Conrad in the spring May24 weekend usually. Contact is Philip Parsneau. his email is ptmtgndg@gmail.com There are lots of wild huns there so obedience and recall will go along way in helping with your Co-operation score. Where abouts you guys get together for hunts?
Old 09-12-2012, 09:21 PM

and for the record that is a fine lookin pup, even though its not a shorthair!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 AM

Its not upland but heres Roosters first ever duck retrieve, he watched the sky, seen it get hit, swam out to it, grabbed it even though it was swimming away and retrieved it. Pretty natural.
Opening weekend coming up, can't wait. Hope we get into some birds and he holds point., should be a good time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0222.jpg (24.7 KB, 82 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 09:40 AM

First Ruffie outing for Rocky. Done in an hour. Youngest birds I have seen for this time of year.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Got my first ruffie of the season yesterday! Saw quite a few in and for the most part they were grouped up or in smaller family groups. Glad to see that the numbers are looking good!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:50 PM

Got Rooster his first Hun and Sharptail today. Poor bugger is dead tired, two duck hunts and 6 hours of upland work this weekend, being skunked on the first 1/4 ate up way too much energy with no reward. Funny how I've had him out training and we get in birds like crazy, but this last week or two the numbers started dwindling to the point where you really have to work to find anything now.
Nose wasn't working too well today as the tongue was hanging out too much but he did manage to find, point and hold these two singles so it was a good start. Had to pass up on some shots as he busted some coveys, seemed mostly due to crappy wind and only finding birds after two hours of solid flat out running when he was starting to slow down.
Overall a pretty good weekend.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM

My dads dag pointin at some grouse.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry View Post
Had to pass up on some shots as he busted some coveys
Overall a pretty good weekend.
Awesome to hear that, work so hard all summer and than blow it with shooting at birds your dog bumps. Good self control its hard some times. And you came home with a couple birds and spent the weekend in the field with your dog. Life doesnt get much better
Old 09-16-2012, 09:38 PM

I had a great day yesterday.

What you can't see in the pic is we were moving about 25 mph.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9150374.jpg (30.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
First Ruffie outing for Rocky. Done in an hour. Youngest birds I have seen for this time of year.

That's a good looking lab. Nice shotgun too!!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Got the dogs and the boys out for the morning. We only managed two huns on six flushed coveys. The dogs are mid season form and me and the boys are still flock shooting. The boys held off when we put up six sharptails I yelled out sharptails so that was good we had the talk about what was open on the drive out and the dogs also flushed a pheasant hen but my oldest saw it before it flushed and said pheasant so no shots fired again. Still alot of crops standing so the birds are not concentrated by the field edges yet.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I had a great day yesterday.

What you can't see in the pic is we were moving about 25 mph.

You guys staking out an upland bird flyway over that water? Lol.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post
My dads dag pointin at some grouse.
Stylish looking setter your dad has there.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:12 PM

Joshcat, it was pretty good. Happy to finally be able to shoot something to give him an idea of what we are really up to. Going out with my trainer buddy this weekend so should be a good weekend of training and hopefully getting into some birds. Having another guy there who's just looking to train dogs should be great.

Maverick, Out in the field with dogs and kids, talk about a good day.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Stylish looking setter your dad has there.
ya she comin right along, shes a lewellin setter. shes goin on her first chucker/pheasnt hunt right away here im pump to get my first pheasnt too!
Old 09-18-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
You guys staking out an upland bird flyway over that water? Lol.
Haha, nope we are trying to figure out how to hunt ducks on big water.
Not been very sucessfull as of yet.

I figured its applicable to the thread. My pup retrieved his first goose that day; it something I will still think about when I am a very old man.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:57 AM

Tucker's first duck, he had a look at geese in tight overhead that weekend also.
I loved the look on his face as he looked up from the blind. He'd had a limit of ducks on by then, he was beginning to grasp the concept of what was going on. You could see it clicking in his l'il brain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuck's first hunt 012.jpg (148.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 09-18-2012, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Haha, nope we are trying to figure out how to hunt ducks on big water.
Not been very sucessfull as of yet.

I figured its applicable to the thread. My pup retrieved his first goose that day; it something I will still think about when I am a very old man.
Just giving you a hard time. There are moments with each dog that will stick in your mind forever. I remember my GSP Gunnar's first point and his "relay retrieves" with a friend's GSP/Dalmation (Sadie), Parker's first long marked retrieve, the first time Parker backed my dad's GSP Katy on point, and lots of others.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I remember my GSP Gunnar's
A HA when you want to come back from the darkside.............. LOL
Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 PM

Hey Pudel... who is the sire/dam ?