Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-29-2021, 07:13 AM

Default Tree stand ethics

So you come across a tree stand on public land. What are the ethics: (1) it’s public land and it’s empty, so have a seat or (2) keep walking and find your own spot to hunt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 07:20 AM

Some guys use them. Personally I try to stay Way from them , if it is a manufactured stand . It's nor mine , period

However, there is a wooden built tower platform that has been in ate I hunt for several years, not really used at all.
It's coming down after the season is over .
I will contact F&W and let them know about it...
Cat
Old 11-29-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_charlie View Post
So you come across a tree stand on public land. What are the ethics: (1) it’s public land and it’s empty, so have a seat or (2) keep walking and find your own spot to hunt?

My feelings

It’s not yours don’t use it, conversely public land is not the property of the tree stand owners so go ahead and hunt the area (if you are first there)

You may get responses that it is fair game on public land so use away….
You may get responses to find another spot, as if putting up the stand marks the territory…

Ultimately it is up to you and your sense of ethics
Old 11-29-2021, 07:23 AM

If it's not yours, don't use it.
End of discussion.

I don't understand why this is so hard for people to grasp.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:25 AM

If I didn't put it there I take the position it is the property of someone else, so I do not use. I hate coming across trail cams on public land, I feel like its an invasion of my privacy. Although I feel tempted to remove sim card, I have refrained so far.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_charlie View Post

I was walking in a remote wilderness area around Slave Lake a few years back. I was walking up a hill on a crude logging road, when I got to the top of the hill, I saw a brand new beautiful two-man enclosed platform built into the trees on the side of the road, with new lumber.

Nobody was there, so I climbed up and let loose a few of my awesome cow-in-heat calls. Within 5 minutes a bull charged up the hill across the road about 150 yards offering me a perfect front shot at the throat. Dropped the moose in his tracks with my trusty .30-60.

My hunting partner came up the road a few minutes later and saw me on the road and asked "Did you shoot a deer?", we are only apart for about 15 minutes. I said nope and pointed to the dead moose, we had it quartered and in the back of his Polaris Side By Side and were home by lunchtime.

I had a pencil and paper in my bag, so I wrote the builder a nice note thanking him for his exceptional craftsmanship and beautiful new tree platform. Also left my number and said that if he were ever in Edmonton to give me a call and I would make him a nice moose diner.

Personally, I believe it's fine, as long as you leave it in exactly the same condition it was in when you got there. I would have no issues with someone using my tree stand on public land if I were not there, but it would be difficult since I use a Lone Wolf climbing tree stand and have it chained to the tree I use.

Cheers N40
Old 11-29-2021, 07:54 AM

If it is an old built stand giver

If it’s a store bought stand stay out of it.

Personally I avoid where others are hunting out of respect and I don’t want to deal with extra pressure. Honestly there is a ton of space so why do I want to cuddle up to another hunter. If someone chooses to hunt the same area as me I actually pull my set up and disappear. This is my choice and I have no issues with the other hunter in this case

Have respect for others. Personally I found an area this year that looked amazing and then seen a ladder stand that I could tell was set this season. I left the area and didn’t return. My personal choice was I will leave that pocket alone for at least 2 seasons. Come the third I will keep an eye out for tracks in the snow. If it seems they have moved on I will explore the area but I will not use the same pinch point just in case

I understand the effort put in to a good set up so I go out of my way to avoid interfering with others. I don’t expect others to go to the level I do but this is how I choose to deal with finding a stand

Now I will say without hesitation if you are caught sitting in my stand I am a complete A hole. If you are sitting on the ground near my stand I may shake my head but I won’t be angry though.

Setting a stand or camera doesn’t mean you own a spot but just because a stand is set up on public land it doesn’t mean it’s for public use

Treat others as you would like to be treated
Old 11-29-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
. I hate coming across trail cams on public land, I feel like its an invasion of my privacy. Although I feel tempted to remove sim card, I have refrained so far.
Invasion of privacy is a stretch if it is Crown land it is public . On private property I would consider it trespassing however.
Cat
Old 11-29-2021, 08:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I don’t touch other people’s stuff period be it in a parking lot or the woods.

I have stands up on private land and encourage others who too have permission to use my stands when I am not using them, just a quick text is all that is required and we can work something out.

I think if I had stands up on crown land etc I would put up a nice laminated note to use it but don’t abuse it, text me and we can work something out.

Lots of options to hunt in Alberta just be nice and considerate about it!

Heck my builder and electricien have taken moose and deer out of my stands.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-29-2021, 08:24 AM

I would feel free to hunt the area but I would not use someone else’s gear.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:29 AM

It depends....if it's a home made job and old on crown go for it.
Store bought leave it alone.
Here is a question for you. My family recently purchased a quarter of bush. While exploring we found a nice ladder stand that has been there for some time. ( moss growing on ratchet straps). The sale was an estate so cannot ask the previous owner if he wants it back. Or if it was his as alot of trespassing was going on due to other factors. Soooo use it as my own leave it were is ??? Move it to a better spot?
Old 11-29-2021, 08:32 AM

On a facebook hunting page a guy had a picture of his tree stand still attached to the tree someone had use a chainsaw and cut it down.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
End of discussion.

I understand this take - honestly I do. I would be curious to hear your take on this statement:

"Putting up AND leaving your treestand on crown land (including grazing leases) is akin to "laying claim" to that area - which is wrong."

As an example. A hunter puts up a stand on crown land. Some days later (maybe even the next morning), I access that same area, and other than the stand, I see no evidence of presence that morning. I set up my own stand in close proximity because its a good looking area with good sign. I just get into the stand and I see another hunter come up - its the hunter who set the first stand. Who should move on?

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
Here is a question for you. My family recently purchased a quarter of bush. While exploring we found a nice ladder stand that has been there for some time. ( moss growing on ratchet straps). The sale was an estate so cannot ask the previous owner if he wants it back. Or if it was his as alot of trespassing was going on due to other factors. Soooo use it as my own leave it were is ??? Move it to a better spot?
Real estate sale, it comes with the land unless it is in the sales agreement, sooooo, it's yours!
Cat
Old 11-29-2021, 08:59 AM

I sat in an unoccupied stand once.
But I knew it was Lloyd McMahon's so I didn't feel bad at all.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
I understand this take - honestly I do. I would be curious to hear your take on this statement:

"Putting up AND leaving your treestand on crown land (including grazing leases) is akin to "laying claim" to that area - which is wrong."

As an example. A hunter puts up a stand on crown land. Some days later (maybe even the next morning), I access that same area, and other than the stand, I see no evidence of presence that morning. I set up my own stand in close proximity because its a good looking area with good sign. I just get into the stand and I see another hunter come up - its the hunter who set the first stand. Who should move on?
Crown land: First come, first serve right?
Old 11-29-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Simply put if you are the kind of hunter that would do that you deserve any negative response that you get

When you choose to set up as you mentioned or sit in another’s stand you have done so realizing you setting yourself up for possible conflict. It should be really simple to see that your actions have a high possibility of impacting another’s hunt

If you choose to be disrespectful towards another’s hunt don’t expect to be treated with respect in return

Why is it such a hard concept to treat others with respect if you want the same in return

But I should not be surprised since in the past I have had people stake out my house so they can try and follow me to where I hunt because they are too lazy to look for their own spots
Old 11-29-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post

You are the proud owner of a new tree stand...
Old 11-29-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Invasion of privacy is a stretch if it is Crown land it is public . On private property I would consider it trespassing however.
Cat
Agreed on the trespassing and I do respect land owners so unless I have permission, I do not enter. I just do not appreciate seeing a camera on crown land if I am walking through the woods. My opinion and thoughts and I'm sure you have yours, which is fine.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:51 AM

I had a guy use my store bought stand once and he actually cleared more branches for better sight lines. I put it up on a crown land cutline years back that had multiple deer trails and sat all Sunday. I left it up as I was coming back a couple days later. From the lack of new snow on it, he sat on it the day prior and no evidence of any game taken. I was ok with it as he made it better but I was also thinking what the heck dude because I would not do it. The next time I had a stand up in crown land, I took the first couple feet of foot pegs with me I have never left a stand out in crown land for more than a few days and it was always because I was coming back in a day or 2. Easier to slip in and up nice and quiet.

I won't use another's if it is empty, whether it is a store bought, outfitter tower stand or homemade. If I am on the atv or walking when I see one up ahead, out come the bino's and I check for someone in it, if nobody, I keep on trucking by. But if I see a person occupying it, I turn around and go somewhere else. I do my best not to spoil another's hunt.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Agreed on the trespassing and I do respect land owners so unless I have permission, I do not enter. I just do not appreciate seeing a camera on crown land if I am walking through the woods. My opinion and thoughts and I'm sure you have yours, which is fine.
I can understand the uneasy feeling of noticing another camera on crown, but in all honesty, not much a person can do, other than switch where you're hunting. Glad you haven't pulled the sim cards yet, pretty frustrating when I go to check my cameras and there's no sim card in it. It's only happened once, but boy I was not happy.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:57 AM

I found one this fall, pressure treated lumber and quite a few years old.
I sat in it a few times, the spot was perfect!
Old 11-29-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:

I agree with this

In the example you set forth, and this is just my personal opinion, but this is my thoughts. First off, I wouldn't set my stand near another stand in the first place. I would stay at min 150 yards away, to me that is the respectful approach.

Now going down the path you set forth. The person that was there first should have the first right of refusal for that spot. If I was personally in that situation, I would have a conversation with the second individual and come to agreement that works for us both.

Hunting is to be enjoyable and a conflict first thing in the meeting has the potential to sour the day early on.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:30 AM

We were sharing an area with a another couple. they have been out the same time as us a couple time now and we have spoken several times. He built a stand a bit out of the way of where I usually go, but commented if i wanted to use the stand, giv'er. I did, once, but it was an uneasy feeling. Doubt i'll use it again.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:39 AM

I have ladder stands on the neighbos place that others can hunt from. I dont ise them every single day so why should I care if someonenuses mine?
At least they are sitting and not driving the perimeter screwing it up for others.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
End of discussion.

Exactly.!!

I would never even think of using someone else's stand.
That's my ethics anyways, I don't care if it's crown or not, it's not yours, keep walking.

All my stands are ladder, I'm not a fan of permanent ones as I move mine a lot depending on wind, weather or game movement.

I don't think I'd be too happy hiking in to my stand which I packed in and set up to find someone sitting in it.

And don't even go with the it's public and empty again, it's mine.
Not yours.
Go set your own up.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
If I didn't put it there I take the position it is the property of someone else, so I do not use. I hate coming across trail cams on public land, I feel like its an invasion of my privacy. Although I feel tempted to remove sim card, I have refrained so far.
Good way to keep it by not touching some thing's that are not yours ,many cam's have a back up system hid, so if you take the card the info is still available to the owner.

Taking or tampering with others stuff can make for a long walk home one day, what goes around comes around .

Cheers
JD
Old 11-29-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief27 View Post
I can understand the uneasy feeling of noticing another camera on crown, but in all honesty, not much a person can do, other than switch where you're hunting. Glad you haven't pulled the sim cards yet, pretty frustrating when I go to check my cameras and there's no sim card in it. It's only happened once, but boy I was not happy.
Nope, I won't touch, they're not mine to touch so I don't. Like it has been mentioned if I am aware there are others in the area with tree stands my instinct is to back out, a tree stand sort of implies possession but I dont treat cameras the same way. I figure folks that use them are scouting and I consider the territory open if I'm there. I've noticed a majority of the time the cameras are removed if they know they've captured human activity. I usually just point at it and shrug, and do the same to both. The one capturing game in the area and the one positioned to catch a thief......lol
Old 11-29-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Simply put if you are the kind of hunter that would do that you deserve any negative response that you get

When you choose to set up as you mentioned or sit in another’s stand you have done so realizing you setting yourself up for possible conflict. It should be really simple to see that your actions have a high possibility of impacting another’s hunt

If you choose to be disrespectful towards another’s hunt don’t expect to be treated with respect in return

Why is it such a hard concept to treat others with respect if you want the same in return

But I should not be surprised since in the past I have had people stake out my house so they can try and follow me to where I hunt because they are too lazy to look for their own spots
Aren't both hunters here a bit disrespectful?

Hunter 1 set up and left a stand on crown land. Doesn't specify how long he or she will have it there - could be all season. Does that "entitle" Hunter 1 to that area for the whole season? I'd say the answer is no but I can see others disagreeing. If a person wants to create a private land experience they should save their pennies and buy some private land.

Hunter 2 probably could have moved on if this was the first day they saw that stand (recall Hunter 2 has his own stand and never used the other one) - and I'd hope a conversation could come to some amicable resolution if both hunters showed up. However, after 2 days or so, can it be assumed Hunter 1 is misusing crown land? Kind of like leaving a bunch of towels on the backs of deck chairs at at resort and not showing up.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Aren't both hunters here a bit disrespectful?

Hunter 1 set up and left a stand on crown land. Doesn't specify how long he or she will have it there - could be all season. Does that "entitle" Hunter 1 to that area for the whole season? I'd say the answer is no but I can see others disagreeing. If a person wants to create a private land experience they should save their pennies and buy some private land.

Hunter 2 probably could have moved on if this was the first day they saw that stand (recall Hunter 2 has his own stand and never used the other one) - and I'd hope a conversation could come to some amicable resolution if both hunters showed up. However, after 2 days or so, can it be assumed Hunter 1 is misusing crown land? Kind of like leaving a bunch of towels on the backs of deck chairs at at resort and not showing up.
If you can’t see the issue I am not going to debate it

If you choose to attempt your scenario you know you are taking a gamble on being met with a really negative response

Your choice do as you please but don’t expect to be met with a warm hug