Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-28-2021, 07:45 PM

Default Last chance for whitetail

Tomorrow is my last chance to fill my general whitetail tag. Iv tried alot of different areas and seen a ton of muleys and a few whitetails but either not in the right area or after legal time. Does anyone have any idea where to find some whitetail. I go back to work on tuesday so monday is my last chance. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Iv tried ghost PLUZ, Waiparous, Fallen Timber, WMU 210, WMU156, Sundre area, Bearberry area. Just not having any luckReplys on here or in PM is great if you prefer.

Thanks for your time/input

Folding A Tag Isnt The Only Reason To Hunt
Old 11-28-2021, 08:47 PM

Look in the bush sir.

Like seriously. Walk into the middle of the bush, until you find tons of fresh tracks then sit there.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-28-2021, 09:11 PM

^^^^^^ that’s great advice….. took me ten years of reading post on here and learning patience…… this year I saw quite a few deer everyday just sitting where I knew deer were close.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Look in the bush sir.

Like seriously. Walk into the middle of the bush, until you find tons of fresh tracks then sit there.
This is my plan for the next 2 days.Seeing lots of bucks just not anything old or big enough.Seems to be plenty of young bucks around.
Old 11-28-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
This is my plan for the next 2 days.Seeing lots of bucks just not anything old or big enough.Seems to be plenty of young bucks around.
I havnt even seen any of those

Old 11-28-2021, 09:50 PM

Patience. Today I sat in the same spot, 08:30-dark.

All kinds of fresh sign, thought I'd see more deer, but at 13:00 a 4x4 buck came out, ended up walked right up to, like 25'.

Too small for me, so he's still out there.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-29-2021, 06:06 AM

3 years ago I spent 13 straight days in the same piece of bush, sitting different trails, dawn to dark. Hardly saw a deer... like maybe 2 in those 13 days?

Day 14 I woke up it was freezing rain, also my last day off that I had for hunting. I could very easily have tossed it in due to the crap weather, but I went out again.

And as I walked into the same piece of bush that morning, as the other 13 days, the rain quit, the sun broke out and it was turning into just a great morning.

I was sitting there on my stool, so as not to get over-heated and saw a buck scent trailing, coming my way up through the bush.

And I got that buck.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 11-29-2021, 07:06 AM

Go to where you have found scrapes or the most sign where you have seen whitetail. If you have seen scrapes go and sit

It sounds like you are traveling all over instead of focusing on one or two areas. This is going to cause you to expend a ton of effort without a ton of results. This may not salvage this season but for the future locate an area near home that you know holds whitetail. Don’t get caught up on visually seeing deer but instead focus on sign. Most of my pockets I don’t see deer until I am on stand or still hunting super slow

It has been around 15years but I used to take whitetail out of pockets around hunter valley rd. All were taken hunting thick timber in the valleys often on small ridges just off of wet areas. It took effort to figure them out but it became an area I consistently took whitetail when living in Calgary. I also took whitetail out of fallen timber area

No clue how it is now or the regs regarding hunting that area so you would need to look into it

I know from your other posts you are still figuring things out so here is some advice for long term. Pick say two areas that you know hold whitetail and spend a year just learning those areas and no where else. Focus more on sign then sightings and commit to what you feel is your best pockets for the season

You are focusing too much on filling a tag rather then learning your areas and how to hunt them. Building knowledge of your area and deer within it will bring you more results long term if you put in your dues
Old 11-29-2021, 07:19 AM

The reason I know you need to change your focus is because I went through the phase you are now running around all over getting frustrated. Once I focused on learning about the deer I hunt and focused my efforts rather then then running around all over my success went up

When you are looking for places to hunt in the bush don’t think miles think 50yard pockets
Old 11-29-2021, 07:29 AM

Invest your time in an area where you know there are does, especially in the rut. Let the bucks put on the miles.....
Old 11-29-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Invest your time in an area where you know there are does, especially in the rut. Let the bucks put on the miles.....
And don't wait till the last minute either.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-29-2021, 09:11 AM

Thanks for all the input/advice I appreciate it. I'm sitting an area I have spotted does in recently. Fingers crossed

Old 11-29-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoOkIe86 View Post
Thanks for all the input/advice I appreciate it. I'm sitting an area I have spotted does in recently. Fingers crossed
Good luck I hope it comes together for you

If you eat your tag this season just move forward and adjust for next season
Old 12-01-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
How did it go?
Old 12-01-2021, 12:24 PM

Trail cameras tell the whole story all year long. Just because you don't see deer in november, dosent mean they aren't there in September/October. And just because you don't see them in October, dosent mean they're not there in novemeber. The rut will cause many bucks to pack up and look for does. In early season while bow hunting, I look for the bucks. In novemeber, I look for the does. Their wintering to fall to the novemeber rut habitats are ever rotating. Every year changes due to food/cover/weather as well.

I've got dozens of cameras on public land and yes there's the odd time people mess with them, but rare because I usually lock them and few people do legwork to find them.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:30 PM

Your running all over the country side trying one spot then another then yet another...slow down and focus on the things that will help you harvest a buck..guarentee there's bucks in every area you've tried evennif you hever saw it.p

You are focusing too much on filling a tag rather then learning your areas and how to hunt them. Building knowledge of your area and deer within it will bring you more results long term if you put in your dues[/QUOTE]

This is the best advice in the thread. Stop focusing on filling avtag and start focusing on the skills needed and learning the area and all the things the wild can teach you about deer, their movement, patterns ect.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
3 years ago I spent 13 straight days in the same piece of bush, sitting different trails, dawn to dark. Hardly saw a deer... like maybe 2 in those 13 days?

Day 14 I woke up it was freezing rain, also my last day off that I had for hunting. I could very easily have tossed it in due to the crap weather, but I went out again.

And as I walked into the same piece of bush that morning, as the other 13 days, the rain quit, the sun broke out and it was turning into just a great morning.

I was sitting there on my stool, so as not to get over-heated and saw a buck scent trailing, coming my way up through the bush.

And I got that buck.
I have been there.I hunt a secret spot where I have taken 4 bucks over 150. Some took a week or more of sitting and still hunting.This included calling and rattling. Some days I saw 0 deer,some days I saw a dozen.
Old 12-03-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray7mag View Post
How did it go?
Tag soup this year

Old 12-03-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Tag soup this year
It happens now you just need to adjust and put things in your favor for next season

Right now is a great time to get out and scout for next season. Go out looking for scrape lines because they are often in the same area every year