Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2021, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I don't have an opinion on it, but some people think that there is an increase in the number of cases of CJD that are actually misdiagnosed instances of CWD in humans.
My uncle died of CJD, I didn't see him much at that time but from I've been told it was pretty brutal. The possibility, however remote that this could have been from consuming an infected cervid is always in the back of my mind.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
No, one group of macaques were infected by being fed venison from infected deer. That's the part of the study that got to me.

I don't have an opinion on it, but some people think that there is an increase in the number of cases of CJD that are actually misdiagnosed instances of CWD in humans.
The Macaques that were directly fed deer CWD meat were NOT infected. They had to be continuously fed CWD Macaque meat (ie. cannibalism) along with CWD vension. The only ones directly infected by deer CWD were done so by direct brain injection (these were then the ones fed to the others).

Unless you are planning on getting brain injections of CWD or eating your relatives I think we're most likely good. However, that being said eating meat from a known CWD animal is something that every individual needs to make their own decision on and I respect that decision.

The science isn't completely settled and really can't be as it would be unethical to do a double-blind longitudinal study on humans doing CWD meat.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/c...iet-researcher

Last edited by timsesink; 11-25-2021 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:16 PM

I guess what is the worst thing that could happen to you if you landfill it/vs what is the worst thing that could happen to you get CWD comes to mind. The macaques were fed infected meat; injected and other pathways used. Apparently 2 were infected from eating infected meat. and developed CWD. research Spiroplasma, Dr. Bastian cwd Prions may be a side effect. Not that this changes anything yet...but a different approach is perhaps in the future.

Last edited by trainerdave; 11-25-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:27 PM

There is no definitive science yet - only early studies. Last year there were Universities that claimed to not only identified a bacteria responsible for CWD- but had a cure in the works. Nothing but crickets since then. It is still early

Also there is a ton of misinformation - as you have already witnessed through this very thread And many people are comfortable spreading non sense without doing any research what so ever.

Lots of true statements though (although not scientific):
1) Odds are low. There isn't a mass rush of people diagnosed with CWD or CJD. Not yet anyway. That being said it takes years to notice physical symptoms in deer - what if the human symptoms area delayed?
2) Prions are not like anything else in nature. You cant kill them (with normal heat or bleach or lysol procedures) as they aren't alive to begin with. You have to denature the protien - which involves extremely high temps or concentrated bleach. Again there have not been definitive studies here yet either - just preliminary results.
3) Deboning the meat and avoiding the spinal is a good practice - but don't believe that this "prevents" anything. The meat fed monkey study suggests that it can be transmitted through the meat. Other studies have found the prion proteins in the meat. Again its transmission not in people but primates. I wouldn't discount that so easily.
4) Nobody wants to fund the research that is necessary. Period. Its expensive, and so far it isn't a priority for our governments.

There's my 2 cents Everyone has their own level of risk that they are willing to accept. Make up your own mind based on your research.

Good luck
Old 11-25-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
The science isn't completely settled and really can't be as it would be unethical to do a double-blind longitudinal study on humans doing CWD meat.

Thanks for the link. The reports I previously read omitted important details. This article is more reassuring although I think I'll still skip eating deer that test positive.

Not going to hold my breath for the double-blind study to be done. 😁
Old 11-25-2021, 02:50 PM

When commercial butcher shops are mandated to eliminate processing of wild game, I will be worried... The amount of cross contamination with slaughter animals that could occur in these facilities would be mind boggling. As earlier stated, simple cleaning methods will not destroy the prion.
Old 11-25-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
When commercial butcher shops are mandated to eliminate processing of wild game, I will be worried... The amount of cross contamination with slaughter animals that could occur in these facilities would be mind boggling. As earlier stated, simple cleaning methods will not destroy the prion.
It is already mind boggling. I asked our local butcher about cleaning and CWD. He didn't know what I was talking about. He didn't seem to have even heard of prions in cattle or wild ungulates. Yes, he does process wild game.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Do none of you with positive results have inlaws?

Do the same rules apply to venison gifts for inlaws as for normal people.

Is it required to let inlaws know about positive CWD tests? Even the ones who normally love surprises?

Asking for a friend.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-25-2021, 05:35 PM

CJD numbers...

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ce-system.html

Between 1998 and 2021 there have been 1162 definite and probable diagnosis.

Year Sporadic Iatrogenic Familial GSS FFI vCJD Total
2010 35 0 3 0 0 0 38
2011 46 0 3 1 0 1 51
2012 62 0 1 0 0 0 63
2013 50 0 0 0 1 0 51
2014 51 0 4 0 1 0 56
2015 44 0 5 1 2 0 52
2016 57 1 5 1 0 0 64
2017 82 0 2 1 1 0 87
2018 75 1 4 0 1 0 81
2019 76 0 2 0 0 0 78
2020 61 0 4 0 0 0 65
2021 16 0 0 1 0 0 17
Old 11-27-2021, 07:41 PM

Eat the meat! I had a positive years back and they told me fine to eat. We've probably been eating positive deer long before testing.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAK Precision View Post
Eat the meat! I had a positive years back and they told me fine to eat. We've probably been eating positive deer long before testing.
Who is "they?"
Old 11-27-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You put a out of faith in “they”
Old 11-28-2021, 08:16 AM

Can't recall the exact name but it was someone from the facility where it tested positive.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:25 PM

Will be submitting a mule head for the first time later today.

Can I bag the head or must I use a bag supplied at the drop off?
Trying to understand how the "label" is affixed to the head before I go.

Bag head at home, apply supplied label to bag, then put all this into a second supplied bag???

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2021, 12:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Will be submitting a mule head for the first time later today.

Can I bag the head or must I use a bag supplied at the drop off?
Trying to understand how the "label" is affixed to the head before I go.

Bag head at home, apply supplied label to bag, then put all this into a second supplied bag???

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
If you are dropping the head off at Cabelas, just have the head in a bag, with a tie string to it, they provide the tags typically in the freezer. Bring a pocket knife with you so you can attach the tag to its ear. I take a picture of the tag with my cell phone in case it gets misplaced.

Cheers N40
Old 11-29-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
Who is "they?"
They also used to say smoking was good for you, drinking while pregnant was ok. Etc etc. I'm ok you can have all my positive meat maybe we can do our own studies.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:35 PM

When I had a positive case from a wainwright deer .I was told by the biologist that called that I could do what i wanted with meat ,Eat it as there is no positive link to human exposure through consumption ,or dispose of it !
But it could not just be dumped in the bush or at a landfill , It had to be buried or burned ?
Therefore a friend ate it willingly knowing it was positive and still no issues .
Old 11-29-2021, 02:13 PM

Quote:
"They" said the same thing about BSE.
"They" were never held accountable for being wrong, just the poor people that suffered and died from the disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
The Macaques that were directly fed deer CWD meat were NOT infected. They had to be continuously fed CWD Macaque meat (ie. cannibalism) along with CWD vension. The only ones directly infected by deer CWD were done so by direct brain injection (these were then the ones fed to the others).

Unless you are planning on getting brain injections of CWD or eating your relatives I think we're most likely good. However, that being said eating meat from a known CWD animal is something that every individual needs to make their own decision on and I respect that decision.

Until the Alberta study is published (if ever), this study gives a good insight to the research.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6026755/

Most notable of concern is like Covid, CWD has many variants.

"The existence of different strains of CWD infectivity was demonstrated previously (45,–48), and such strains might be a confounding variable in assessments of the susceptibility of humans or related animal models to CWD. Possibly, human susceptibility to CWD might be restricted to a subset of CWD strains. Therefore, a variety of different CWD sources should be tested in animal models pertinent to human susceptibility to reduce the chance of overlooking a strain capable of human infection."

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."