Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-15-2021, 09:42 AM

Congrats on the Moose. One of my Shorthairs got hit by a car at age 2. This was 20 yrs back. Back then it cost us $3500.00 for the surgery to put a pin in her back leg. That dog, although not a hunter but full of GSP energy kept up with our 2 yr younger male GSP and lived a long life to just over 16 yrs. That pin never gave her an ounce of trouble. I hope the same for your lab.

What a sad face in that pic, I remember the same face on mine and the same cone, bathroom breaks and trying to keep her from being a dog that just wants to go go go lol.

Oh and when we were skinning my sons 54 inch moose a few years ago for the cape, I stabbed myself much like you, wad of paper towel around the finger, duct tape and back to the work. Replaced often until we got home.
Old 11-15-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Oh and when we were skinning my sons 54 inch moose a few years ago for the cape, I stabbed myself much like you, wad of paper towel around the finger, duct tape and back to the work. Replaced often until we got home.
Heh! I think there's more of us here on the forum that have done that than we care to admit...

"Stitches? Bah! I don't need stitches! Just pass me that paper towel and some electrical tape..."
Old 11-15-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Heh! I think there's more of us here on the forum that have done that than we care to admit...

"Stitches? Bah! I don't need stitches! Just pass me that paper towel and some electrical tape..."
Kinda like at work, they told me the first aid kit was over there, I asked does it have rolls of tape and shop rags....."no" was the answer. I replied "well what good is it then"
Old 11-15-2021, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the laughs fellas! That was exactly my first thought... where's the duct tape?

Moose is vac wrapped and wet aging on the garage floor. Finger will be fine. Stitches were never contemplated.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post

Been there. Doing that right now. Felt the knife grate on the bone as it went in.

Old 11-15-2021, 02:57 PM

It's just a flesh wound. I've had worse....

Hoping you get the reference.

That moose looks super nice, that is some fine victuals you got there. Do up some burgers, throw a handful of Hawkins cheezies on the plate, and you are 5 star Michelin dining.

I believe your pup is gonna make a full recovery. Positive thinking.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-15-2021, 03:27 PM
AO Sponsor

Awesome on the moose sir! Watch the fingers and heal up your pooch next... Happy to hear you got her sorted. Mans best friend and all!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-15-2021, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
It's just a flesh wound. I've had worse....

Hoping you get the reference.
(awkwardly) "...I got better..."
Old 11-15-2021, 08:51 PM

Lots of the fellas in your corner Sir! Small thing but we got your back! Glad for the boy & his moose, hope the dog heals 100%, the rest of it you'll get farther in the rearview mirror
Old 11-28-2021, 07:30 AM

Glad to hear its not all bad, and some luck was overdue and deserved.

I can relate, lost my Brittany in July who decided to venture out on the highway which was hard. New English Springer puppy brought home in September has been a handful, but has been fun as well. Really looking forward to next years bird season with him. My youngest son will be out for his first season next year as well. Lots to look forward to!
Old 11-28-2021, 07:43 AM

Somehow I had completely missed this thread till this morning. Glad I saw it once things were already turning for the better. Good to see the dog is healing, your son got a nice moose, and you have a floor full of prime meat. You are a good guy and deserve good things to happen to you. Keep smiling, it will keep getting better.

Last edited by Dean2; 11-28-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-28-2021, 07:52 AM

Happy things worked out for you and family at the end.

Also glad you looked after your "hunting buddy"!...nice looking pooch.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:48 AM

Sorry to hear about your dog. Hope he's ready for some hunting next season!

My 3 brothers joined me hunting last year for the first time ever. It was the first time hunting deer for one of them, the second time for another. Our oldest brother has been out hunting deer several times in the past. So none of them had any real experience with butchering.

Long story short, everybody nicked a finger last year (well, except me). Youngest brother had to get stitches, it was pretty bad! So this year we bought some cut resistant gloves like these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Cut-Resistant-...52&sr=8-9&th=1

They actually work quite well and I even wore one while butchering this year.

I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***