Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2021, 09:11 AM

Default Waldron Ranch

Is the Waldron Ranch on CLAS access system for paid access.
Old 11-04-2021, 09:34 AM

I don't think so but maybe things have changed. Go to the CLAS website and have a look yourself.

I just checked fer ya. Yes, the Waldron Ranch is listed on CLAS.

Last edited by CNP; 11-04-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Sure is

Was down there last week/weekend. It sure is. Some access points have also changed from last year. Was wild on the weekend I heard they had a limit to how many people could access……. However there was 2-8 vehicles at each entry along 22. Too many people for me.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:45 AM

Default CLAS system

Please enlighten me as to how the CLAS system is paid access?
Old 11-21-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrileyw View Post
Please enlighten me as to how the CLAS system is paid access?
Needing a paid subscription to access and book hunting times is getting pretty darn close. IMO, you don't need to be writing cheques directly to a landowner before it starts qualifying as paid access.
Old 11-21-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
Needing a paid subscription to access and book hunting times is getting pretty darn close. IMO, you don't need to be writing cheques directly to a landowner before it starts qualifying as paid access.
X2
Old 11-21-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
X3
Old 11-21-2021, 07:30 PM

Someone needs to pay the land managers or land owners for their time. I think it is inevitable that paid access will arrive one day due to the growing numbers of outdoorsman while accessible opportunities decline at a record pace.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:30 PM

I would think that the landowners are compensated for signing up to the system.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Someone needs to pay the land managers or land owners for their time. I think it is inevitable that paid access will arrive one day due to the growing numbers of outdoorsman while accessible opportunities decline at a record pace.
If the crown collected the oil royalties which is the crowns (all ours) should about cover the wages and then some.
WDF
Old 11-22-2021, 07:01 AM

Default Clas

So how does everyone feel about iHunter?
As you must pay for a subscription as well as pay for municipal district maps?

I do know that the majority of landowners and lease holders are very upset that iHunter and AEP gave out so much information for the landowners and lease holders.
Old 11-22-2021, 07:11 AM

Quote:

I do know that the majority of landowners and lease holders are very upset that iHunter and AEP gave out so much information for the landowners and lease holders.
Lease holder information was always available.

Also, paid access is different than paying for maps. Should the land owners be upset with mapworld for selling me hard copies of the county maps?
Old 11-22-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:

I hunter is not paid access not even close to the same. It provides many features that give information not access and it is also providing information to find crown land so you can avoid private

If landowners would like to see information regarding who owns the land removed I can respect their position if they fought for this change.

Lease this is not the same as it is not deeded land. Any land leased or tenures from the government are subject to conditions and members of the public can request information regarding this. Now if grazing leases wanted to just make it open within a last time frame without the need to contact the lease holder things would be different. But this is not the case and understand and respect why a lease holder would want to know who and when there is people on the lease

As for paid access or any fee regarding access I completely oppose it. I have already seen hunt clubs and GO’s buying out exclusive rights to large areas of farmland where it is legal

No thanks
Old 11-22-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
I would think that the landowners are compensated for signing up to the system.
Landowners also pay to use clas. Clas is collecting $$$ from both sides

M
Old 11-22-2021, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Ihunter is an app that an entrepreneur created to facilitate mapping and hunting. You're connecting dots from "paid access hunting" to subscribing to iHunter? Every MD sells the landownership maps that are found on iHunter. Grazing lease information is open source to anyone who can use a computer. I can appreciate that iHunter is a platform where the distribution of land ownsership/grazing lease information has expanded the property knowledge base of hunters and that is what you may be questioning. But since that information is available from MD's at a cost or from AEP open source, there is no dots to connect.

With all of this information at the finger tips of hunters, CLAS is a logical business model.

You should appreciate that landowners are being bombarded with phone call from people who want to access their property and that is where CLAS comes into the equation. CLAS will manage all of these access requests, freeing up landowners from taking calls, recording the who, what, when, where and why.

I can visualize more and more landowners using the services offered by CLAS because it is their land and if they want to hire CLAS to manage all of the enquiries regarding access, then so be it. The alternative may be more "No Trespassing" signs?

I am not a CLAS representative, just a guy trying to make sense of this.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:36 PM

Ive spoken to a couple land owners and lease land managers regarding the CLAS system ( including the waldron). Many feel the availability of such a system is a benefit to everyone ( I dont disagree). I was told a system like it was promised thru the alberta government a few years ago and they dropped the ball. One common thing that game up with many I spoke to was the fee structure. When they signed up, the fee structure made it reasonable for everyone. However since then the cost of membership has increased heavily. 2 land managers felt pretty betrayed by the CLAS system. I have great fears about what a private business running such a system might mean. I strongly believe we need a government run system where users and landmanagers both comply by the provided rules. We strongly need reform in the lease land access system for all parties involved
Old 11-24-2021, 06:28 AM

In 3 seasons. $100s of dollars in subscription fees CLAS has got me access ONCE! I get it for the landowner, information at their fingertips. It’s the user who’s getting screwed…
Old 11-24-2021, 09:58 AM

I have looked at the CLAS website, but never got the subscription. How does one prevent a person from making a booking then not showing up? I could see a situation where multiple bookings are made just to tie up a peice of property.

Any real world experience with this platform?

I can see it being ripe for abuse, not unlike another system I suppose.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:34 AM

This is my first year doing the CLAS , I bought the one year Subscription and downloaded the app onto my phone, so far I have 3 properties that I have permission on. You can only book 3 days in a row max, and no more that two properties for those dates , see how it goes this year, I’m on the fence about but I do understand where the property/land managers are coming from
How many phone calls and emails they receive for hunting , but yes knocking on doors or actually driving around and talking to the managers is a better way
Old 11-27-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:

I can see some land and leaseholders having issues because they likely don't appreciate ihunter users having the full goods on location, access terms, and contact info (which many fudge anyways) at their fingertips. Stops them from making up their own rules in grazing lease cases. Quite a few of them haven't figured out yet that "they" dont own this land.

All of this information was available to those willing to source it anyways. Cry me a river.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Quite a few of them haven't figured out yet that "they" dont own this land.
And neither do you! Notice the location of all the ones doing the bitching.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
And neither do you! Notice the location of all the ones doing the bitching.

Yep I do actually. Real easy too. They've got these new fangled thingys called county maps, the internet, ihunter etc there Mr Ram. They show me exactly who owns what. It's bloody amazing.

Cattle come off 12:01am October 31 unless there's conditions stipulated, gates open up, I call, Done. Easy peasy.

You lease. Not own.

I'm nice about it too. Feet never touch land i either dont have permission on or havent called about first. I let land "lessee" or owner know if I see anything odd happening which 95% of the time is locals, say thank you, and 90% of the time become friends with these contacts. It's a wonderful thing.

Last edited by 270person; 11-27-2021 at 02:34 PM.